ATTENTION PROPERTY MANAGERS ‼️ I Need Your Help

ATTENTION PROPERTY MANAGERS ‼️ I Need Your Help

Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes

G'Day everyone,

The team (@Dominique Osborn, @Sean Mahoney) and myself have an opportunity to on-board 189 units.

This would be a very nice "chunk" of new business but to be honest, I'm inclined to pass.

I have always believed in doing business on your terms and for terms not to be dictated by someone else.

Especially when you are looking to hire us/me to do the work for you.

Also, business done right needs to be a win/win for all involved and this doesn't seem like a win for us.

I do however understand the caution and reluctancy to "let go of the reigns" per se as many landlords get screwed by property managers.

But at the end of the day, you have to "let go" and let someone else do it or just do it all yourself.

I'd love your advice on the suggested terms given to us below:

1) In AppFolio they want admin level access to their account.

2) They want a standardized list for maintenance items so they know in advance what repairs would cost.

3) They want a copy of all invoices from contractors to us so they can verify we are not marking up more than promised.

4) They want to be able to talk to our contractors before work is done (each time) so they can talk contractors down in price themselves.

5) They mentioned that they pay around $300 for full paint in a 2-bedroom unit.... we do not have a contractor that will touch a full paint on a 2 bedroom for $300

6) They want tiered PM Fees based on occupancy.... for example (their example): at 90% they would pay 8% PM fees, at 70% occupancy they would pay 2% PM Fees, and at 50% occupancy we would part ways.

The deal breaker in my opinion is points 4, 5 and 6.

With the lack of oversight/control on maintenance we have little control over the occupancy and it kills our process and efficiency.

So in a way, we are destined to fail from day 1.

Also, if someone does want so much control why not just self manage.

The unit count justifies hiring 1-2 full time people to run it.

Otherwise, let us do our job.

@Drew Sygit and @Jay Hinrichs I'd appreciate your professional opinion.

@James Wise I already know your answer but want to hear your unprofessional opinion so I feel better about my own thought process haha

Thanks everyone 

0Reply
158 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
2y
Quote from @Alan F.:
Quote from @James Wise:
Quote from @Adam Bartomeo:

Quit crying about someone willing to give you thousands of dollars per month. Negotiate and find a way to make it work!


 Cool story bro.

"Willing to gIvE thousands of dollars " lol

 This is prolly the dude with the 189 units hahah.

See this reply in the discussion

71 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:

    I don't think he likes me that much though haha 
    Not sure why I would have anything against you? 

    You can't run a business if you tailor your processes to each owner, no matter how big they are. Creating customized procedures is going to result in more work, more mistakes, and more frustration than it's worth. 

    I also agree with the others that these owners sound like cheap-skate micro-managers. I wouldn't spend more than two sentences rejecting them.

     2 sentences isn't necessary. Only need 2 words bro.



    How bout dat?

    Hawk Tuah mate haha


  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:

    G'Day everyone,

    The team (@Dominique Osborn, @Sean Mahoney) and myself have an opportunity to on-board 189 units.

    This would be a very nice "chunk" of new business but to be honest, I'm inclined to pass.

    I have always believed in doing business on your terms and for terms not to be dictated by someone else.

    Especially when you are looking to hire us/me to do the work for you.

    Also, business done right needs to be a win/win for all involved and this doesn't seem like a win for us.

    I do however understand the caution and reluctancy to "let go of the reigns" per se as many landlords get screwed by property managers.

    But at the end of the day, you have to "let go" and let someone else do it or just do it all yourself.

    I'd love your advice on the suggested terms given to us below:

    1) In AppFolio they want admin level access to their account.

    2) They want a standardized list for maintenance items so they know in advance what repairs would cost.

    3) They want a copy of all invoices from contractors to us so they can verify we are not marking up more than promised.

    4) They want to be able to talk to our contractors before work is done (each time) so they can talk contractors down in price themselves.

    5) They mentioned that they pay around $300 for full paint in a 2-bedroom unit.... we do not have a contractor that will touch a full paint on a 2 bedroom for $300

    6) They want tiered PM Fees based on occupancy.... for example (their example): at 90% they would pay 8% PM fees, at 70% occupancy they would pay 2% PM Fees, and at 50% occupancy we would part ways.

    The deal breaker in my opinion is points 4, 5 and 6.

    With the lack of oversight/control on maintenance we have little control over the occupancy and it kills our process and efficiency.

    So in a way, we are destined to fail from day 1.

    Also, if someone does want so much control why not just self manage.

    The unit count justifies hiring 1-2 full time people to run it.

    Otherwise, let us do our job.

    @Drew Sygit and @Jay Hinrichs I'd appreciate your professional opinion.

    @James Wise I already know your answer but want to hear your unprofessional opinion so I feel better about my own thought process haha

    Thanks everyone 


    Engelo my PM Brokerage is not in my name tag here but last checked we are #2 SFR PMc in U.S.A.. Dozens of branch/market offices throughout US of which I am out of national HQ. We have a client right now that I can not name, but if lookup the top 5 organizations in residential housing, there on that list, an absolute TITAN, and no we do NOT do anything like this even for them.... Nor anybody, this list is not viable nor realistic.

    1) In AppFolio they want admin level access to their account.

    NO, full-stop. Nobody and I mean NOBODY get's admin access into any of our systems. If Jesus came back and got into rentals NO, N-O-B-O-D-Y get's admin access into our system. 

    2) They want a standardized list for maintenance items so they know in advance what repairs would cost.

    Being a PMc I'd invite them to acquire any of the readily available construction estimating tools/software out there such as RSMeans, but would not take on such a task as building and maintaining such a database, honestly for any $, it's simply not what we do. 

    3) They want a copy of all invoices from contractors to us so they can verify we are not marking up more than promised.

    A-ok. 

    4) They want to be able to talk to our contractors before work is done (each time) so they can talk contractors down in price themselves.

    I'd be fine with this as long as they sign a waiver that they own any/all negative impacts that result from such including extended vacancy periods, vendor refusals of service necessitating there own self-search to secure amicable vendor etc etc.. 

    5) They mentioned that they pay around $300 for full paint in a 2-bedroom unit.... we do not have a contractor that will touch a full paint on a 2 bedroom for $300

    LMAO! And what corner of the Ozark's is this in? In most markets that's closer to "A" room paint with trip charges. Again, happy to coordinate with YOUR contractors for services but no, no assurance of any price because we are a PMc not a remodeling firm nor a painting contractor, right. 

    6) They want tiered PM Fees based on occupancy.... for example (their example): at 90% they would pay 8% PM fees, at 70% occupancy they would pay 2% PM Fees, and at 50% occupancy we would part ways.

    Sure, I'd be happy to do this WITH an addendum that for any vacancy do to there actions or inactions those units be accounted as leased for calculations. 

    To be honest Engelo if I had anyone reach out with this I'd laugh at them, literally. This is so abusive and extortionist in nature, and so disconnected from any sense of reality I'd really have to question the general intelligence of the persons presenting such. 

    Some make think my statement arrogant but it's experienced, and I think you get me Engelo. Anyone who's been in this business for a time, they know how crazy some of these requests are. Come on, admin access, really! How many laws does that violate for starters on assorted privacy. 

    If they wanted there own separate stand alone appfolio, so it's segregated data to them, ok solved data privacy but why not internalize PM's than? 

    The whole thing wreaks to high hell in my opinion. Either it's a setup for failure, and they know it, so no go. OR it's a setup for failure and there too clueless to know which is arguably even worse because every little everything your going to be dealing with morons every step of the way, arrogant ignorant's.... 

    If anything I'd offer them a limited service offering. Offer to do TP's for there own self-managing but all that they want, no way, it's crazy.     

    Let the start-up PM's who get all in aww over a portfolio run themself bankrupt trying to service Mein Fueler, because you know that's what's going to happen. 


     Engelo, when are you posting their info? If you ended up taking these clients on, they'd have no hesitation to drag your company and tell other investors you don't know what you are doing after one of their units sat empty for 6 months, because the only ones who's show up for the money they are paying are drug addicts. and as we all know (or should know) drug addicts don't do good work.

    I'm guessing you may be hesitant to post their info because they are the "customer" and you are the "business" but that's total crap. This is a business to business transaction. These wankers apparently have 179 units or whatever it was. This is not some random accidental homeowner who wants to be a landlord and doesn't understand the PM industry. These dongs are professional grifters and should be treated as such.


    I suspect a simple search of public records would show who they are .. there cant be that many companies with 150 plus SFRs in that market ??  maybe i am wrong but should not be difficult search for some VA.
  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    You create tight rules not conditions, these guys lack experience or if they have the experience they are too micro-managing just by reading the OP.

    I don't work with people like this. On scale, you need to let go and have underlying contractual rules that bail you out in the event of fraud, incompetence, poor work, time issues, etc. Not this every micro detail gets haggled. That's going to eat time, and that's too devastating.

  • Real Estate Agent · Akron, OH · Member since 2017 · 73 posts · 48 votes
    2y

    I understand being very picky with PMs as I probably micromanage mine to some extent but not to this level. I also handle 99% of repairs with my admin and my own list of subs. I let PM handle true emergency requests. This sounds like someone who needs to either handle all of their own repairs and let you handle rents/leasing or they need to self manage. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:

    I don't think he likes me that much though haha 
    Not sure why I would have anything against you? 

    You can't run a business if you tailor your processes to each owner, no matter how big they are. Creating customized procedures is going to result in more work, more mistakes, and more frustration than it's worth. 

    I also agree with the others that these owners sound like cheap-skate micro-managers. I wouldn't spend more than two sentences rejecting them.

     2 sentences isn't necessary. Only need 2 words bro.



    How bout dat?

    Hawk Tuah mate haha



     No shocker there bro. Can spot that these guys would be stiffing people like that from a mile away.

  • Property Manager · Toledo, OH · Member since 2021 · 58 posts · 92 votes
    2y

    They do not value a property management company's time and resources. They should hire their own W2 employees and manage themselves. I wouldn't even entertain something like this personally. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:

    I don't think he likes me that much though haha 
    Not sure why I would have anything against you? 

    You can't run a business if you tailor your processes to each owner, no matter how big they are. Creating customized procedures is going to result in more work, more mistakes, and more frustration than it's worth. 

    I also agree with the others that these owners sound like cheap-skate micro-managers. I wouldn't spend more than two sentences rejecting them.

     2 sentences isn't necessary. Only need 2 words bro.



    How bout dat?

    Hawk Tuah mate haha



    And now is when you reply with declining services but happy to offer a cash offer on portfolio to turn there self-managing misery into cold hard CA$H.... $57k per unit, done, let's get this signed..... 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:

    I don't think he likes me that much though haha 
    Not sure why I would have anything against you? 

    You can't run a business if you tailor your processes to each owner, no matter how big they are. Creating customized procedures is going to result in more work, more mistakes, and more frustration than it's worth. 

    I also agree with the others that these owners sound like cheap-skate micro-managers. I wouldn't spend more than two sentences rejecting them.

     2 sentences isn't necessary. Only need 2 words bro.



    How bout dat?

    Hawk Tuah mate haha



    And now is when you reply with declining services but happy to offer a cash offer on portfolio to turn there self-managing misery into cold hard CA$H.... $57k per unit, done, let's get this signed..... 


     I have a hunch $57k per unit would be overpaying. Closer to $25k/unit would be my guess.

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:

    I don't think he likes me that much though haha 
    Not sure why I would have anything against you? 

    You can't run a business if you tailor your processes to each owner, no matter how big they are. Creating customized procedures is going to result in more work, more mistakes, and more frustration than it's worth. 

    I also agree with the others that these owners sound like cheap-skate micro-managers. I wouldn't spend more than two sentences rejecting them.

     2 sentences isn't necessary. Only need 2 words bro.



    How bout dat?

    Hawk Tuah mate haha



    And now is when you reply with declining services but happy to offer a cash offer on portfolio to turn there self-managing misery into cold hard CA$H.... $57k per unit, done, let's get this signed..... 


     I have a hunch $57k per unit would be overpaying. Closer to $25k/unit would be my guess.

    Solid area for sure but… 

    IMO I wouldn’t buy multifamily unless I’m buying for $25,000 - $30,000 a door.

    I’d rather stay sleeping in bed haha

    @Ryan Pyle is the Godfather of Toledo multifamily investing and a top bloke 👍

    Mate, I know you manage multifamily 

    Happy to make intro if interested 

    I know you are more patient and reasonable than me and maybe can talk some sense into people haha

    I’m too hot headed as you know and am just looking to get my first ever misdemeanor hahaha 🙏

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jackelyn Lee:

    They do not value a property management company's time and resources. They should hire their own W2 employees and manage themselves. I wouldn't even entertain something like this personally. 



    Thanks Jacky and agreed 🙏

    We are just doing our best to keep chasing LPG’s tail haha

    Keep being great 
  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    2y

    For #5, the apartment industry has painting contractors that paint units (including SW paint) for low prices and they knock a unit out in an hour or two. My prior PM used one of these companies and we were paying $300 per unit, $10 per ceiling, and some standard amount per wall repair greater than 1". They don't do SFR and my prior PM almost exclusively managed 20-50 unit communities.

  • Member since 2024 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    2y

    seems like they're planning to micromanage everything, which could be a real problem. From my viewpoint, a property manager should focus on making a profit from repairs and services. If they start negotiating directly with your contractors to lower costs, it might slow things down and risk losing your trusted vendors. That’s my take, even though I haven’t run a property management company myself but have handled plenty of my own properties

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:

    I don't think he likes me that much though haha 
    Not sure why I would have anything against you? 

    You can't run a business if you tailor your processes to each owner, no matter how big they are. Creating customized procedures is going to result in more work, more mistakes, and more frustration than it's worth. 

    I also agree with the others that these owners sound like cheap-skate micro-managers. I wouldn't spend more than two sentences rejecting them.

     2 sentences isn't necessary. Only need 2 words bro.



    How bout dat?

    Hawk Tuah mate haha



    And now is when you reply with declining services but happy to offer a cash offer on portfolio to turn there self-managing misery into cold hard CA$H.... $57k per unit, done, let's get this signed..... 


     I have a hunch $57k per unit would be overpaying. Closer to $25k/unit would be my guess.

    Solid area for sure but… 

    IMO I wouldn’t buy multifamily unless I’m buying for $25,000 - $30,000 a door.

    I’d rather stay sleeping in bed haha

    @Ryan Pyle is the Godfather of Toledo multifamily investing and a top bloke 👍

    Mate, I know you manage multifamily 

    Happy to make intro if interested 

    I know you are more patient and reasonable than me and maybe can talk some sense into people haha

    I’m too hot headed as you know and am just looking to get my first ever misdemeanor hahaha 🙏


    Woah woah woah...... So these are NOT SFR's????? Just MFH..... So wtf is so special about 180 units then? That could be achieved in 1 property.

    Yeah, no, MFH, MAO $30k per door. Given there actions fair chance even that is over paying. But that's a fair starting point.

    How many properties is this portfolio? Because if just a few, it get's even weirder why they wouldn't just have on-staff PM and maint. mgr.. 

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:

    I don't think he likes me that much though haha 
    Not sure why I would have anything against you? 

    You can't run a business if you tailor your processes to each owner, no matter how big they are. Creating customized procedures is going to result in more work, more mistakes, and more frustration than it's worth. 

    I also agree with the others that these owners sound like cheap-skate micro-managers. I wouldn't spend more than two sentences rejecting them.

     2 sentences isn't necessary. Only need 2 words bro.



    How bout dat?

    Hawk Tuah mate haha



    And now is when you reply with declining services but happy to offer a cash offer on portfolio to turn there self-managing misery into cold hard CA$H.... $57k per unit, done, let's get this signed..... 


     I have a hunch $57k per unit would be overpaying. Closer to $25k/unit would be my guess.

    Solid area for sure but… 

    IMO I wouldn’t buy multifamily unless I’m buying for $25,000 - $30,000 a door.

    I’d rather stay sleeping in bed haha

    @Ryan Pyle is the Godfather of Toledo multifamily investing and a top bloke 👍

    Mate, I know you manage multifamily 

    Happy to make intro if interested 

    I know you are more patient and reasonable than me and maybe can talk some sense into people haha

    I’m too hot headed as you know and am just looking to get my first ever misdemeanor hahaha 🙏


    Woah woah woah...... So these are NOT SFR's????? Just MFH..... So wtf is so special about 180 units then? That could be achieved in 1 property.

    Yeah, no, MFH, MAO $30k per door. Given there actions fair chance even that is over paying. But that's a fair starting point.

    How many properties is this portfolio? Because if just a few, it get's even weirder why they wouldn't just have on-staff PM and maint. mgr.. 



    2 properties mate 

    No bloody idea and they should definitely self manage.

    I’ve always said that “anyone” can find, buy and rehab.

    Not many can property manage well and manage well long term.

    Plus, folks like having someone else to blame like a property management company.

    Makes their failure easier to bare haha 

    So that’s another reason maybe why they want a PM…

    Maybe they are reading this thread and will head the advice from folks like yourself mate 

    Thanks for your replies and I’ll reply back to your other encyclopedia comment in a bit haha 
  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:

    I don't think he likes me that much though haha 
    Not sure why I would have anything against you? 

    You can't run a business if you tailor your processes to each owner, no matter how big they are. Creating customized procedures is going to result in more work, more mistakes, and more frustration than it's worth. 

    I also agree with the others that these owners sound like cheap-skate micro-managers. I wouldn't spend more than two sentences rejecting them.

     2 sentences isn't necessary. Only need 2 words bro.



    How bout dat?

    Hawk Tuah mate haha



    And now is when you reply with declining services but happy to offer a cash offer on portfolio to turn there self-managing misery into cold hard CA$H.... $57k per unit, done, let's get this signed..... 


     I have a hunch $57k per unit would be overpaying. Closer to $25k/unit would be my guess.

    Solid area for sure but… 

    IMO I wouldn’t buy multifamily unless I’m buying for $25,000 - $30,000 a door.

    I’d rather stay sleeping in bed haha

    @Ryan Pyle is the Godfather of Toledo multifamily investing and a top bloke 👍

    Mate, I know you manage multifamily 

    Happy to make intro if interested 

    I know you are more patient and reasonable than me and maybe can talk some sense into people haha

    I’m too hot headed as you know and am just looking to get my first ever misdemeanor hahaha 🙏


    Woah woah woah...... So these are NOT SFR's????? Just MFH..... So wtf is so special about 180 units then? That could be achieved in 1 property.

    Yeah, no, MFH, MAO $30k per door. Given there actions fair chance even that is over paying. But that's a fair starting point.

    How many properties is this portfolio? Because if just a few, it get's even weirder why they wouldn't just have on-staff PM and maint. mgr.. 



    2 properties mate 

    No bloody idea and they should definitely self manage.

    I’ve always said that “anyone” can find, buy and rehab.

    Not many can property manage well and manage well long term.

    Plus, folks like having someone else to blame like a property management company.

    Makes their failure easier to bare haha 

    So that’s another reason maybe why they want a PM…

    Maybe they are reading this thread and will head the advice from folks like yourself mate 

    Thanks for your replies and I’ll reply back to your other encyclopedia comment in a bit haha 

    Wow.... Just 2 properties, ok, things make a whole lot more sense now. There still bonkers, even more so in some ways but clearly novices. 

    Once it's 40+ units on a site ya really gotta have the on-site components. PT caretakers who than help the PM to run things. And if have just 2 sites, ok, hire a PT PM, someone semi-retired from the biz, I've always found them of best fit. 2 PT caretakers at each site. And a maintenance manager. Again, can be a semi-retired GC or something working PT. 

    Now you got all those lovely controls, oversight etc.. 

    Makes no sense hiring PMc with just 2 sites of that many doors. There really out of there depth aren't they. I'd be surprised if there isn't also significant issues with tenant base at sites also. Yeah, that's not an easy sh#t-show to turn around. 

    I would seriously offer them choice of cash offer on it or MLwO, and I'd prefer the later so I'd frame it that way. Than I'd take it on, right the ship, run it correct and enjoy the margin until makes sense to execute on the option. 

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @V.G Jason:

    You create tight rules not conditions, these guys lack experience or if they have the experience they are too micro-managing just by reading the OP.

    I don't work with people like this. On scale, you need to let go and have underlying contractual rules that bail you out in the event of fraud, incompetence, poor work, time issues, etc. Not this every micro detail gets haggled. That's going to eat time, and that's too devastating.



    Thanks VG.

    Time is money and we let go of landlords that are too demanding and won't allow us to do our job properly.

    For a large chunk of business like this, I guess it's ok to discount prices a bit and be flexible.

    Back in the day I was stubborn and not flexible at all.

    It served me well I guess but nowadays I'm a bit more experienced and a lot more understanding lol

    But it does seem like we would have to eat too much $#%@ if we took this business on.

    Granted, I personally don't mind chewing on it all the way to the bank but it's my team that has to eat it also and to me, they are the one's doing the hard work and making it all happen.

    So protecting them is my priority.

    Thanks again for your comment mate 👍
  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:

    G'Day everyone,

    The team (@Dominique Osborn, @Sean Mahoney) and myself have an opportunity to on-board 189 units.

    This would be a very nice "chunk" of new business but to be honest, I'm inclined to pass.

    I have always believed in doing business on your terms and for terms not to be dictated by someone else.

    Especially when you are looking to hire us/me to do the work for you.

    Also, business done right needs to be a win/win for all involved and this doesn't seem like a win for us.

    I do however understand the caution and reluctancy to "let go of the reigns" per se as many landlords get screwed by property managers.

    But at the end of the day, you have to "let go" and let someone else do it or just do it all yourself.

    I'd love your advice on the suggested terms given to us below:

    1) In AppFolio they want admin level access to their account.

    2) They want a standardized list for maintenance items so they know in advance what repairs would cost.

    3) They want a copy of all invoices from contractors to us so they can verify we are not marking up more than promised.

    4) They want to be able to talk to our contractors before work is done (each time) so they can talk contractors down in price themselves.

    5) They mentioned that they pay around $300 for full paint in a 2-bedroom unit.... we do not have a contractor that will touch a full paint on a 2 bedroom for $300

    6) They want tiered PM Fees based on occupancy.... for example (their example): at 90% they would pay 8% PM fees, at 70% occupancy they would pay 2% PM Fees, and at 50% occupancy we would part ways.

    The deal breaker in my opinion is points 4, 5 and 6.

    With the lack of oversight/control on maintenance we have little control over the occupancy and it kills our process and efficiency.

    So in a way, we are destined to fail from day 1.

    Also, if someone does want so much control why not just self manage.

    The unit count justifies hiring 1-2 full time people to run it.

    Otherwise, let us do our job.

    @Drew Sygit and @Jay Hinrichs I'd appreciate your professional opinion.

    @James Wise I already know your answer but want to hear your unprofessional opinion so I feel better about my own thought process haha

    Thanks everyone 


    Engelo my PM Brokerage is not in my name tag here but last checked we are #2 SFR PMc in U.S.A.. Dozens of branch/market offices throughout US of which I am out of national HQ. We have a client right now that I can not name, but if lookup the top 5 organizations in residential housing, there on that list, an absolute TITAN, and no we do NOT do anything like this even for them.... Nor anybody, this list is not viable nor realistic.

    1) In AppFolio they want admin level access to their account.

    NO, full-stop. Nobody and I mean NOBODY get's admin access into any of our systems. If Jesus came back and got into rentals NO, N-O-B-O-D-Y get's admin access into our system. 

    2) They want a standardized list for maintenance items so they know in advance what repairs would cost.

    Being a PMc I'd invite them to acquire any of the readily available construction estimating tools/software out there such as RSMeans, but would not take on such a task as building and maintaining such a database, honestly for any $, it's simply not what we do. 

    3) They want a copy of all invoices from contractors to us so they can verify we are not marking up more than promised.

    A-ok. 

    4) They want to be able to talk to our contractors before work is done (each time) so they can talk contractors down in price themselves.

    I'd be fine with this as long as they sign a waiver that they own any/all negative impacts that result from such including extended vacancy periods, vendor refusals of service necessitating there own self-search to secure amicable vendor etc etc.. 

    5) They mentioned that they pay around $300 for full paint in a 2-bedroom unit.... we do not have a contractor that will touch a full paint on a 2 bedroom for $300

    LMAO! And what corner of the Ozark's is this in? In most markets that's closer to "A" room paint with trip charges. Again, happy to coordinate with YOUR contractors for services but no, no assurance of any price because we are a PMc not a remodeling firm nor a painting contractor, right. 

    6) They want tiered PM Fees based on occupancy.... for example (their example): at 90% they would pay 8% PM fees, at 70% occupancy they would pay 2% PM Fees, and at 50% occupancy we would part ways.

    Sure, I'd be happy to do this WITH an addendum that for any vacancy do to there actions or inactions those units be accounted as leased for calculations. 

    To be honest Engelo if I had anyone reach out with this I'd laugh at them, literally. This is so abusive and extortionist in nature, and so disconnected from any sense of reality I'd really have to question the general intelligence of the persons presenting such. 

    Some make think my statement arrogant but it's experienced, and I think you get me Engelo. Anyone who's been in this business for a time, they know how crazy some of these requests are. Come on, admin access, really! How many laws does that violate for starters on assorted privacy. 

    If they wanted there own separate stand alone appfolio, so it's segregated data to them, ok solved data privacy but why not internalize PM's than? 

    The whole thing wreaks to high hell in my opinion. Either it's a setup for failure, and they know it, so no go. OR it's a setup for failure and there too clueless to know which is arguably even worse because every little everything your going to be dealing with morons every step of the way, arrogant ignorant's.... 

    If anything I'd offer them a limited service offering. Offer to do TP's for there own self-managing but all that they want, no way, it's crazy.     

    Let the start-up PM's who get all in aww over a portfolio run themself bankrupt trying to service Mein Fueler, because you know that's what's going to happen. 



    Mate James,

    I appreciate you taking time to reply in detail.

    It's always a pleasure reading and learning from your comments.

    What a bloody amazing country this is to live and do business in.

    It's full of top notch business folk like yourself willing to take time out of their day and reply/assist in much depth.

    I've travelled the world mate and lived all other, there is nothing else even close to the USA 🇺🇸

    Again, thanks for your detailed reply 🙏

    1)
    Agreed

    2) We are actually working on this to have a full blown proper standardized rehab/turn guide. Paint colors, flooring, price per sqft labour and materials, etc... Just plug and go... Probably should have already had something like this in place by now so shame on me.

    3) We never have anything to hide so always happy to open the book. This has back fired on me before because many folks don't like it when others make money. They want the best and cheapest even if it comes at my/our cost. It's a shame and I go out of my way to not work with such people.

    4) 
    This would kill our efficiency mate. Never was a fan of waivers and disclaimers. Always preferred a "Gentleman's agreement" but it's hard to operate in such a way nowadays. Sure, we can lawyer up to the tilt but that's the last thing I would want to get involved in if things turned South. I always say "If you don't trust me, don't work with me". I get it, trust is built over time and folks can easily do a detailed search to find the good, bad, ugly and pretty about my operation and ethics on this forum. So in a way, I feel we have stood the test of time and that in itself would prove our trustworthiness per se. You will always run a risk when working with someone new but you will also have to take a leap of faith and give it a try. Start slow and small.

    5) 
    These prices where somewhat possible back in the day 2011 and 2012 with various restoration companies working for banks and doing bank foreclosures. Those days are gone now IMO and pretty much impossible for property managers to deliver on such prices.

    6) 
    Yeah mate, I get ya lol. It is what it is. Folks can offer terms and suggestions and it comes down to us/me to accept/decline or negotiate. As I mentioned in another reply, I use to tell folks to "F$#% Off" back in the day. I'm a bit more civil nowadays and happy to listen and to put myself in their shoes before coming to any judgements or conclusions. I'm not a saint either and negotiate hard and offer low also so I get it haha

    100% agreed on your closing remarks mate.

    And it's Mein Fuhrer" hahaha

    But close enough hahaha

    Thanks mate and keep being great
  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Drew Sygit:

    @Engelo Rumora it's easy to tell them to get lost, but what's making them want these things?

    They've obviously been burned in the past.

    They also really don't value PMCs and probably think they are way smarter than us.

    But, why haven't they started their own PMC yet?
    - Funny story, did business with a "turnkey" company here in Metro Detroit. They referred us all their business, but didn't like our TakeOver Evaluation Videos that showed too many renovation issues. Everything we did was fine. When we wouldn't stop giving our mutual clients those videos they stopped using us and started their own PMC. They didn't even last 18 months before selling it to someone getting started in the PMC biz (who got screwed on the purchase). 

    I've learned the hard way that potential customers don't like to hear the word, "NO"! None of us like ultimatums or, "take it or leave it" offers either.

    It's better to offer them 2-3 options where you "win" no matter which they choose.

    Another great technique is to ask them an open-ended question(s) that gets them to see the challenge from your point of view.

    So, let's apply these to their requests:

    1) This is more common than you'd think. Have had several owners ask for it over the years. Have given it serious consideration. With Propertyware (our PMC software) you can limit what they see to just their portfolio and even limit access to accounting, applications, etc. What's stopped us from doing it is they would be able to see our internal notes & conlogs - which they could then use against us to tell us how to run our business and further micro-manage us.

    Every prospective owner that's requested this from us, I've been able to ask enough questions to identify the info they really want and then provide custom reports that cover it. Of course, some have been adament about the access and inflexible, so we pass.

    2) I'd really like to do this someday and keep hoping a company offers something affordable for PMCs to use. Off the top of my head I can name 20+ tasks I know the costs of. So, don't assume and just ask them for their list of maintenance items to see how big & detailed it is, to assess if it's even feasible.  Worse-case, I'd ask them how much they want to pay me to develop this list for them - which would include an annual fee to update it.

    3) We've always done this, so no bid deal to us. Can tell you though, that owners start getting greedy and want you to cut what they contractually agreed to. They always think everythings so easy and PMCs charge too much!

    4) This conflicts with #2, so ask them what they hope to accomplish. I'd tell them they do not get access to our maintenance staff or contractors as we've had clients in the past try to steal them. Instead offer to review any nonemergency bid over $x with them.

    5) Knee-jerk reaction is to laugh at this. I'd ask them open-ended questions to get them to detail exactly what the $300 covers. Guessing it's really just a bit of wall cleaning and touchups. Ask them for pics & invoices to prove what they've gotten for $300.

    6) This is really short-sighted of them! If they're going down this path, what they really should be measuring is collected rents. Otherwise, you can just throw any applicant in their properties. 

    Had someone with around 50 doors ask for something similar several years back. They balked when I asked them for proof of their portfolio's past performance - which led me to believe they were aiming too high. 

    I'd ask them where they got their 90% number from. Doubt they have any local market data to support. At best they might be using national data, but that's not useful unless it separates Class A, B, C & D properties. 

    Also ask them who gets to set rent amounts and the reno standards of their properties. If they want to control these, how are you supposed to adapt to market realities?

    Approached the right way, you may have a chance of modifying their requests to be more reasonable and ones you can work with. If you do business with them, just be careful of how much access they have to your staff as if it doesn't work out, they could try to steal them to start their own PMC.

    Buzz me if you want to brainstorm more about it.


    Hey mate,

    Thanks for your reply and input.

    Your a gentleman.

    Ehhh after some digging we found out that they actually ended up screwing another local property manager that pretty much set up shop just for the purpose of assisting them with this large portfolio. It's a small world mate lol

    1) Got it and I usually have no issues opening the books as I mentioned, nothing to hide but not many have a genuine approach when asking for such and as you me mention, could use it to their advantage for all sorts of things.

    2) You and I spoke about this in person and have someone working on this in our office. Hoping to have a very detailed "plug and go" formula by year end. Happy to share with you mate. All I ask in return is your companionship, 2 cigars for me and 7 Negroni's hahaha

    3) I don't like paperwork mate lol. Happy to do it I guess but I know the team will bulk at me if we accept something like this because it significantly slows us down. Granted, I know PM's #1 profit center is maintenance so landlords always have their panties in a tangle over such.

    4) I hear ya mate. Just had someone screw us that signed up to our Diamond Package and took advantage of us turning the property and leasing. $200 monthly flat fee and they walked away after we did the work and after 1 month. Cute.... lol My fault as we totally forgot to include a "break" fee in the Diamond Package. Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me ehhh

    5) Maybe possible for restoration companies back in day like I mentioned in my reply to James. But that was 15 years ago and all they did was turn foreclosures for banks non stop... Unreasonable for PM's.

    6) Very true mate and agreed. I believe the team discussed and will send our own terms. Take it or leave it approach but am not excited about this deal at all and will let the team decide even if these folks accept our terms.

    The property is a solid B class IMO and managed well (and on our terms), I don't see why occupancy wouldn't be around 90% or better.

    Not worried about someone pinching our staff.

    I came out of "retirement" to muck around in real estate for a bit longer.

    Just to see if I still "got it".

    It's like riding a bike mate.

    I just wish J Wise would stop begging me for more naked video's hahaha

    The door is always open for anyone to leave and find something better.

    Italy is calling out to me anyway mate and my Negroni is on ice.

    I do what I do because I want to do it, not because I need to do it haha

    Grazie mille caro mio

    Ci vediamo presto

    Dolce far niente... lol

    ps. Just as an FYI, you're on my pitch deck for a LOC as an advisor haha 😚

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Mike Dymski:

    For #5, the apartment industry has painting contractors that paint units (including SW paint) for low prices and they knock a unit out in an hour or two. My prior PM used one of these companies and we were paying $300 per unit, $10 per ceiling, and some standard amount per wall repair greater than 1". They don't do SFR and my prior PM almost exclusively managed 20-50 unit communities.


    Agreed Mike,

    I think such pricing could be plausible for bulk and multifamily.

    With the PM running maintenance at cost and by having in-house staff.

    Lot's of "if's" but possible IMO

    Thanks 

  • Real Estate Broker · Brownsville, TX · Member since 2010 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    Eugelo,

    Just read your story, and welcome to my world! We operate a smallish PM company, currently down to about 130 total units, in 8 locations. Sky-high prices of materials and labor are indeed abusive. In my market (South Texas) the property taxes and property insurance is having a severe impact on the smaller owners, who do not have 30 year financing along with the housing assistance components, are in a dark place and they will naturally expect the (us) property managers to work like dogs and squeeze blood out of turnips for the cash flow. My advise is to determine how much you can make on charging 10% on single family and four plexes, 6% on 5-49 units and 8% PM for older properties that will need a lot of repairs. As for rents, you can follow the local HUD market rents .Your prospective clients may have already figured out that PM is rough and tough. Calculate how much you could make at 90% occupancy, 85%, 80% and determine if the lowest number is enough for you and staff's time. In the past I took over properties that other PM's had run into the ground. My company fixed them up and got at least a 90% occupancy. We did that with 5 complexes and the work about killed us, so we handed them back to various owners. So if you are concerned, you should be, that's the little guy sitting on your shoulder looking out for you!. The wisest thing you can do for yourself, and your tenants is start with software, like Appfolio. It good for your tenants and staff, not dealing with bank deposits and cash/checks. We absolutely do not give owners access to our software.  Good luck, I wish you success.































  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:

    I don't think he likes me that much though haha 
    Not sure why I would have anything against you? 

    You can't run a business if you tailor your processes to each owner, no matter how big they are. Creating customized procedures is going to result in more work, more mistakes, and more frustration than it's worth. 

    I also agree with the others that these owners sound like cheap-skate micro-managers. I wouldn't spend more than two sentences rejecting them.

     2 sentences isn't necessary. Only need 2 words bro.



    How bout dat?

    Hawk Tuah mate haha



    And now is when you reply with declining services but happy to offer a cash offer on portfolio to turn there self-managing misery into cold hard CA$H.... $57k per unit, done, let's get this signed..... 


     I have a hunch $57k per unit would be overpaying. Closer to $25k/unit would be my guess.

    Solid area for sure but… 

    IMO I wouldn’t buy multifamily unless I’m buying for $25,000 - $30,000 a door.

    I’d rather stay sleeping in bed haha

    @Ryan Pyle is the Godfather of Toledo multifamily investing and a top bloke 👍

    Mate, I know you manage multifamily 

    Happy to make intro if interested 

    I know you are more patient and reasonable than me and maybe can talk some sense into people haha

    I’m too hot headed as you know and am just looking to get my first ever misdemeanor hahaha 🙏


    Woah woah woah...... So these are NOT SFR's????? Just MFH..... So wtf is so special about 180 units then? That could be achieved in 1 property.

    Yeah, no, MFH, MAO $30k per door. Given there actions fair chance even that is over paying. But that's a fair starting point.

    How many properties is this portfolio? Because if just a few, it get's even weirder why they wouldn't just have on-staff PM and maint. mgr.. 



    2 properties mate 

    No bloody idea and they should definitely self manage.

    I’ve always said that “anyone” can find, buy and rehab.

    Not many can property manage well and manage well long term.

    Plus, folks like having someone else to blame like a property management company.

    Makes their failure easier to bare haha 

    So that’s another reason maybe why they want a PM…

    Maybe they are reading this thread and will head the advice from folks like yourself mate 

    Thanks for your replies and I’ll reply back to your other encyclopedia comment in a bit haha 

    out west its something like 20 units or more and the law requires on site manager.. And then you hire a manager to manage the on site folks so they dont steal you blind.  the management company that I refer my MF buyers to manages about 12k doors.. and they charge 4% to manage the on site managers.. of course the owners pay the salary of the onsite folks.
  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Cathy Pool:

    Eugelo,

    Just read your story, and welcome to my world! We operate a smallish PM company, currently down to about 130 total units, in 8 locations. Sky-high prices of materials and labor are indeed abusive. In my market (South Texas) the property taxes and property insurance is having a severe impact on the smaller owners, who do not have 30 year financing along with the housing assistance components, are in a dark place and they will naturally expect the (us) property managers to work like dogs and squeeze blood out of turnips for the cash flow. My advise is to determine how much you can make on charging 10% on single family and four plexes, 6% on 5-49 units and 8% PM for older properties that will need a lot of repairs. As for rents, you can follow the local HUD market rents .Your prospective clients may have already figured out that PM is rough and tough. Calculate how much you could make at 90% occupancy, 85%, 80% and determine if the lowest number is enough for you and staff's time. In the past I took over properties that other PM's had run into the ground. My company fixed them up and got at least a 90% occupancy. We did that with 5 complexes and the work about killed us, so we handed them back to various owners. So if you are concerned, you should be, that's the little guy sitting on your shoulder looking out for you!. The wisest thing you can do for yourself, and your tenants is start with software, like Appfolio. It good for your tenants and staff, not dealing with bank deposits and cash/checks. We absolutely do not give owners access to our software.  Good luck, I wish you success.

































    Thanks Cathy,

    I appreciate your reply and input.

    Catch you on another thread here on BP 🙏
  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:

    I don't think he likes me that much though haha 
    Not sure why I would have anything against you? 

    You can't run a business if you tailor your processes to each owner, no matter how big they are. Creating customized procedures is going to result in more work, more mistakes, and more frustration than it's worth. 

    I also agree with the others that these owners sound like cheap-skate micro-managers. I wouldn't spend more than two sentences rejecting them.

     2 sentences isn't necessary. Only need 2 words bro.



    How bout dat?

    Hawk Tuah mate haha



    And now is when you reply with declining services but happy to offer a cash offer on portfolio to turn there self-managing misery into cold hard CA$H.... $57k per unit, done, let's get this signed..... 


     I have a hunch $57k per unit would be overpaying. Closer to $25k/unit would be my guess.

    Solid area for sure but… 

    IMO I wouldn’t buy multifamily unless I’m buying for $25,000 - $30,000 a door.

    I’d rather stay sleeping in bed haha

    @Ryan Pyle is the Godfather of Toledo multifamily investing and a top bloke 👍

    Mate, I know you manage multifamily 

    Happy to make intro if interested 

    I know you are more patient and reasonable than me and maybe can talk some sense into people haha

    I’m too hot headed as you know and am just looking to get my first ever misdemeanor hahaha 🙏


    Woah woah woah...... So these are NOT SFR's????? Just MFH..... So wtf is so special about 180 units then? That could be achieved in 1 property.

    Yeah, no, MFH, MAO $30k per door. Given there actions fair chance even that is over paying. But that's a fair starting point.

    How many properties is this portfolio? Because if just a few, it get's even weirder why they wouldn't just have on-staff PM and maint. mgr.. 



    2 properties mate 

    No bloody idea and they should definitely self manage.

    I’ve always said that “anyone” can find, buy and rehab.

    Not many can property manage well and manage well long term.

    Plus, folks like having someone else to blame like a property management company.

    Makes their failure easier to bare haha 

    So that’s another reason maybe why they want a PM…

    Maybe they are reading this thread and will head the advice from folks like yourself mate 

    Thanks for your replies and I’ll reply back to your other encyclopedia comment in a bit haha 

    out west its something like 20 units or more and the law requires on site manager.. And then you hire a manager to manage the on site folks so they dont steal you blind.  the management company that I refer my MF buyers to manages about 12k doors.. and they charge 4% to manage the on site managers.. of course the owners pay the salary of the onsite folks.

    To be honest mate, with a tech orientated and automated PM operation.

    IMO, you could manage anything up to 100 multifamily doors without being on site.

    Maybe even more.

    "High touch" and customer service from an "impression" standpoint might suffer but all else could work very well.

    Automated showings is easy nowadays.

    Automated maintenance and scheduling is fairly easy nowadays also as long as you have a solid vendor list.

    Also, have to "teach" the tenant from day 1 on "How to" use and do all of these things so on-boarding instructional manuals are vital.

    Just my opinion but I'm seeing the world of PM go heavily in the virtual direction.

    Well, at least the smart companies are doing it.

    Less overheads and a heavy reliance on tech and automation.

    Unfortunately, tech has let me down much less than people have over the years...

    I had an in depth talk with our team and we pretty much only need an office to hold keys lol

    Every one can work from home with ease.

    Granted, they got use to the smell of my cigars in the office haha

    Is smoking allowed in closed spaces? Ooops lol

    For example:

    75% of tenants pay their rent online.

    Others mail a certified check to our office.

    Showings are virtual and automated.

    In-bound calls have been slowly eliminated over the years and a lot of our operation is conducted through email and other platforms.

    There is almost no need to visit the office.

    Looking to automate and virtualize even further but we still like having an office as it's good for camaraderie so will keep it that way for now 🤓 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:

    I don't think he likes me that much though haha 
    Not sure why I would have anything against you? 

    You can't run a business if you tailor your processes to each owner, no matter how big they are. Creating customized procedures is going to result in more work, more mistakes, and more frustration than it's worth. 

    I also agree with the others that these owners sound like cheap-skate micro-managers. I wouldn't spend more than two sentences rejecting them.

     2 sentences isn't necessary. Only need 2 words bro.



    How bout dat?

    Hawk Tuah mate haha



    And now is when you reply with declining services but happy to offer a cash offer on portfolio to turn there self-managing misery into cold hard CA$H.... $57k per unit, done, let's get this signed..... 


     I have a hunch $57k per unit would be overpaying. Closer to $25k/unit would be my guess.

    Solid area for sure but… 

    IMO I wouldn’t buy multifamily unless I’m buying for $25,000 - $30,000 a door.

    I’d rather stay sleeping in bed haha

    @Ryan Pyle is the Godfather of Toledo multifamily investing and a top bloke 👍

    Mate, I know you manage multifamily 

    Happy to make intro if interested 

    I know you are more patient and reasonable than me and maybe can talk some sense into people haha

    I’m too hot headed as you know and am just looking to get my first ever misdemeanor hahaha 🙏


    Woah woah woah...... So these are NOT SFR's????? Just MFH..... So wtf is so special about 180 units then? That could be achieved in 1 property.

    Yeah, no, MFH, MAO $30k per door. Given there actions fair chance even that is over paying. But that's a fair starting point.

    How many properties is this portfolio? Because if just a few, it get's even weirder why they wouldn't just have on-staff PM and maint. mgr.. 



    2 properties mate 

    No bloody idea and they should definitely self manage.

    I’ve always said that “anyone” can find, buy and rehab.

    Not many can property manage well and manage well long term.

    Plus, folks like having someone else to blame like a property management company.

    Makes their failure easier to bare haha 

    So that’s another reason maybe why they want a PM…

    Maybe they are reading this thread and will head the advice from folks like yourself mate 

    Thanks for your replies and I’ll reply back to your other encyclopedia comment in a bit haha 

    out west its something like 20 units or more and the law requires on site manager.. And then you hire a manager to manage the on site folks so they dont steal you blind.  the management company that I refer my MF buyers to manages about 12k doors.. and they charge 4% to manage the on site managers.. of course the owners pay the salary of the onsite folks.

    To be honest mate, with a tech orientated and automated PM operation.

    IMO, you could manage anything up to 100 multifamily doors without being on site.

    Maybe even more.

    "High touch" and customer service from an "impression" standpoint might suffer but all else could work very well.

    Automated showings is easy nowadays.

    Automated maintenance and scheduling is fairly easy nowadays also as long as you have a solid vendor list.

    Also, have to "teach" the tenant from day 1 on "How to" use and do all of these things so on-boarding instructional manuals are vital.

    Just my opinion but I'm seeing the world of PM go heavily in the virtual direction.

    Well, at least the smart companies are doing it.

    Less overheads and a heavy reliance on tech and automation.

    Unfortunately, tech has let me down much less than people have over the years...

    I had an in depth talk with our team and we pretty much only need an office to hold keys lol

    Every one can work from home with ease.

    Granted, they got use to the smell of my cigars in the office haha

    Is smoking allowed in closed spaces? Ooops lol

    For example:

    75% of tenants pay their rent online.

    Others mail a certified check to our office.

    Showings are virtual and automated.

    In-bound calls have been slowly eliminated over the years and a lot of our operation is conducted through email and other platforms.

    There is almost no need to visit the office.

    Looking to automate and virtualize even further but we still like having an office as it's good for camaraderie so will keep it that way for now 🤓 


    thats all good and true unless state law dictates you need on site mangement like we have here  on the west coast.. Just sayin..
  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:

    I don't think he likes me that much though haha 
    Not sure why I would have anything against you? 

    You can't run a business if you tailor your processes to each owner, no matter how big they are. Creating customized procedures is going to result in more work, more mistakes, and more frustration than it's worth. 

    I also agree with the others that these owners sound like cheap-skate micro-managers. I wouldn't spend more than two sentences rejecting them.

     2 sentences isn't necessary. Only need 2 words bro.



    How bout dat?

    Hawk Tuah mate haha



    And now is when you reply with declining services but happy to offer a cash offer on portfolio to turn there self-managing misery into cold hard CA$H.... $57k per unit, done, let's get this signed..... 


     I have a hunch $57k per unit would be overpaying. Closer to $25k/unit would be my guess.

    Solid area for sure but… 

    IMO I wouldn’t buy multifamily unless I’m buying for $25,000 - $30,000 a door.

    I’d rather stay sleeping in bed haha

    @Ryan Pyle is the Godfather of Toledo multifamily investing and a top bloke 👍

    Mate, I know you manage multifamily 

    Happy to make intro if interested 

    I know you are more patient and reasonable than me and maybe can talk some sense into people haha

    I’m too hot headed as you know and am just looking to get my first ever misdemeanor hahaha 🙏


    Woah woah woah...... So these are NOT SFR's????? Just MFH..... So wtf is so special about 180 units then? That could be achieved in 1 property.

    Yeah, no, MFH, MAO $30k per door. Given there actions fair chance even that is over paying. But that's a fair starting point.

    How many properties is this portfolio? Because if just a few, it get's even weirder why they wouldn't just have on-staff PM and maint. mgr.. 



    2 properties mate 

    No bloody idea and they should definitely self manage.

    I’ve always said that “anyone” can find, buy and rehab.

    Not many can property manage well and manage well long term.

    Plus, folks like having someone else to blame like a property management company.

    Makes their failure easier to bare haha 

    So that’s another reason maybe why they want a PM…

    Maybe they are reading this thread and will head the advice from folks like yourself mate 

    Thanks for your replies and I’ll reply back to your other encyclopedia comment in a bit haha 

    out west its something like 20 units or more and the law requires on site manager.. And then you hire a manager to manage the on site folks so they dont steal you blind.  the management company that I refer my MF buyers to manages about 12k doors.. and they charge 4% to manage the on site managers.. of course the owners pay the salary of the onsite folks.

    To be honest mate, with a tech orientated and automated PM operation.

    IMO, you could manage anything up to 100 multifamily doors without being on site.

    Maybe even more.

    "High touch" and customer service from an "impression" standpoint might suffer but all else could work very well.

    Automated showings is easy nowadays.

    Automated maintenance and scheduling is fairly easy nowadays also as long as you have a solid vendor list.

    Also, have to "teach" the tenant from day 1 on "How to" use and do all of these things so on-boarding instructional manuals are vital.

    Just my opinion but I'm seeing the world of PM go heavily in the virtual direction.

    Well, at least the smart companies are doing it.

    Less overheads and a heavy reliance on tech and automation.

    Unfortunately, tech has let me down much less than people have over the years...

    I had an in depth talk with our team and we pretty much only need an office to hold keys lol

    Every one can work from home with ease.

    Granted, they got use to the smell of my cigars in the office haha

    Is smoking allowed in closed spaces? Ooops lol

    For example:

    75% of tenants pay their rent online.

    Others mail a certified check to our office.

    Showings are virtual and automated.

    In-bound calls have been slowly eliminated over the years and a lot of our operation is conducted through email and other platforms.

    There is almost no need to visit the office.

    Looking to automate and virtualize even further but we still like having an office as it's good for camaraderie so will keep it that way for now 🤓 


    thats all good and true unless state law dictates you need on site mangement like we have here  on the west coast.. Just sayin..


    No wonder nobody wants to live there any more hehe
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.