Property Manager · Chicago, IL · Member since 2026 · 44 posts · 33 votes
I'm thinking about attending my first BiggerPockets conference and would love some feedback from people who've been. Is it worth it? I'm an STR investor currently scaling my own STR portfolio along with our short-term rental management company.
My biggest hesitation is going alone. I'm a little shy walking into a room where I don't know anyone at all, but I also know getting outside my comfort zone is probably a good thing. For those who've gone: Did you make meaningful connections? Was it valuable for STR investors and operators? And is it pretty easy to meet people if you show up solo?
Also, if you're going this year and you're in the STR world, I'd love to connect if I decide it's right for me! :)
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
1mo
I have been to one.. and i am crappy at the meeting apps.. to get the most out of this you need to get on the meeting apps and get appointments way ahead of time for the meetups other wise they are full .. and you miss out.. U can meander around and talk to folks but really from what I saw was the private meetups that were arranged by folks with similar interests.
Real Estate Broker · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2022 · 133 posts · 89 votes
1mo
I’m shy too, so I completely understand where you’re coming from. I went to my first BiggerPockets conference last year, and this year I attended the PassivePockets Summit for the first time. I’m planning to go back to both again.
One thing I’ve found is that everyone is incredibly down-to-earth and genuinely there to learn, just like you and me. The anxiety and nervousness really do go away pretty quickly once you start talking to people.
If you’re thinking about going, I’d definitely encourage you to do it. You’ll probably be glad you did!
Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
1mo
I am not shy but I suck at networking. I have a theory why, but it is not complimentary to my ego.
I definitely believe those good at networking get more from attending.
However, I think virtually everyone leaves BPCon invigorated and motivated. In addition, even as bad at networking as I am, I have made some useful connections. One decent connection can justify the cost and effort.
I have not decided if I am going or not yet. I have not missed a bpcon I believe since 2019.
If I go, we should meet. We have had STRs since 1999. We converted to seasonal through the GFC. Our area locked down hard during covid. I have a few interesting guest stories including one that made a mud wrestling pit out of the yard and one that got decked for chivalry by a rude neighbor. So some interesting experiences but always have used managers.
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
1mo
I have been to one.. and i am crappy at the meeting apps.. to get the most out of this you need to get on the meeting apps and get appointments way ahead of time for the meetups other wise they are full .. and you miss out.. U can meander around and talk to folks but really from what I saw was the private meetups that were arranged by folks with similar interests.
Controller at BiggerPockets · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 4 votes
1mo
Hey Phil,
I will be there, so you'll know at least one person!
In my experience, a lot of STR investors and everyone there is eager to meet new people, network and talk real estate so it won't be hard to make meaningful connections!
Property Manager · Chicago, IL · Member since 2026 · 44 posts · 33 votes
1mo
Thanks so much, everyone!! Great advice! And would love to see some of you there! :)
Do you think I am too late to get on the meeting apps and getting appointments? I saw that some things were already booked out? Maybe I missed the boat? Don't want to go and wonder aimlessly as nice as it would be to get out of the Midwest when it's starting to get cold :P
Thanks so much, everyone!! Great advice! And would love to see some of you there! :)
Do you think I am too late to get on the meeting apps and getting appointments? I saw that some things were already booked out? Maybe I missed the boat? Don't want to go and wonder aimlessly as nice as it would be to get out of the Midwest when it's starting to get cold :P
Hey Philip - You definitely haven't missed the boat! Only one of the à la carte workshops on Friday morning is sold out (this is an external registration with an extra fee). All breakout session options, keynotes, events, etc have space, so you can register for those via the Whova event app to build your personalized agenda!