Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
Check out these companies that are bringing in over 21 billion dollars worth of investments in the Central Ohio area creating over 6,000 new jobs! All the more reason to invest and start your real estate journey.
Investor / Landlord · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 276 posts · 174 votes
3y
A caution, particularly for newbies. What the real estate agents have said about Central Ohio growth is true - it looks very promising. There is another truth - one that is notable and longstanding. The core truth of real estate investing is that you should make your money when you buy. That means that you should not buy a property based on the promise of future appreciation (or future growth, etc.). Get solid cash flow and, preferably, a truly discounted price. I've never met the agents who have contributed to this thread and they have all been solid contributors to this site in terms of the number of posts, questions answered, etc. but I don't know what sort of deals they propose to their clients. They may be the best deals on the planet. The bottom line is that far too many agents propose deals that are very good for earning commissions but are marginal - at best - as investments and, at times, poor to very poor as investments. Again, this caution is not agent specific. Don't be over-eager to do your first deal. Learn the business (this site is a great place to start along with local real estate investment organizations), make sure what is proposed is sound, and make thoughtful investments.
Check out these companies that are bringing in over 21 billion dollars worth of investments in the Central Ohio area creating over 6,000 new jobs! All the more reason to invest and start your real estate journey.
Great infographic! All the more reason to invest in Columbus Ohio! Tons of job and population growth catalysts. Also, there's still so many deals here in Columbus Ohio that are meeting the 1% rule and positively cash flowing.
Columbus has a great history as the beginner of commercial aviation. Charles Lindberg, TAT MAddux, 1930?. It's nice to see this important city doing so well. Go Intel!
Check out these companies that are bringing in over 21 billion dollars worth of investments in the Central Ohio area creating over 6,000 new jobs! All the more reason to invest and start your real estate journey.
Investor / Landlord · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 276 posts · 174 votes
3y
A caution, particularly for newbies. What the real estate agents have said about Central Ohio growth is true - it looks very promising. There is another truth - one that is notable and longstanding. The core truth of real estate investing is that you should make your money when you buy. That means that you should not buy a property based on the promise of future appreciation (or future growth, etc.). Get solid cash flow and, preferably, a truly discounted price. I've never met the agents who have contributed to this thread and they have all been solid contributors to this site in terms of the number of posts, questions answered, etc. but I don't know what sort of deals they propose to their clients. They may be the best deals on the planet. The bottom line is that far too many agents propose deals that are very good for earning commissions but are marginal - at best - as investments and, at times, poor to very poor as investments. Again, this caution is not agent specific. Don't be over-eager to do your first deal. Learn the business (this site is a great place to start along with local real estate investment organizations), make sure what is proposed is sound, and make thoughtful investments.
A caution, particularly for newbies. What the real estate agents have said about Central Ohio growth is true - it looks very promising. There is another truth - one that is notable and longstanding. The core truth of real estate investing is that you should make your money when you buy. That means that you should not buy a property based on the promise of future appreciation (or future growth, etc.). Get solid cash flow and, preferably, a truly discounted price. I've never met the agents who have contributed to this thread and they have all been solid contributors to this site in terms of the number of posts, questions answered, etc. but I don't know what sort of deals they propose to their clients. They may be the best deals on the planet. The bottom line is that far too many agents propose deals that are very good for earning commissions but are marginal - at best - as investments and, at times, poor to very poor as investments. Again, this caution is not agent specific. Don't be over-eager to do your first deal. Learn the business (this site is a great place to start along with local real estate investment organizations), make sure what is proposed is sound, and make thoughtful investments.
Hey Ed, actually, I disagree with this - I think any deal that makes $100 net cash flow a month is honestly a buy - of course there's other variables like down payment needed, type of financing, cash on cash return, interest rates, etc. but the thing is real estate is how MANY properties you buy, not waiting for huge cash flowing deals at the present. Any property you buy in Columbus Ohio today, in 10 years, through appreciation, cash flow, depreciation, principal paydown, they will all be making at least 20% cash on cash return. Real estate is a long game!
Investor / Landlord · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 276 posts · 174 votes
3y
@Scott Allen I've invested in Columbus Metro for over 30 years. The truth is that I'm retired and have lost some of the "pulse" of the neighborhoods. I had a lot of rentals in the blue collar areas and did very well with them by careful screening up front but I've also had rentals and rehabs (not to the studs) in Hilliard, Clintonville, Westerville, Grove City, and a couple of areas that are not quickly coming to mind as well as Dayton, Newark, New Lex, Reynoldsburg, Connecticut, NJ, IL, and Vegas and some other areas that, again, aren't quickly coming to mind. I've purchased packages of properties of various sizes up to about 35 and multi-unit properties of various sizes up to around 30 units and I had modest interest in a 200 unit in TX.
Investor / Landlord · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 276 posts · 174 votes
3y
@Jimmy Lieu There are lots of ways to buy property - at prices below market, full price but with exceptional seller financing, etc. To base a decision on something that may or may not happen - even if the odds are with you (and the general sense of it is that Columbus will prosper but who really knows what will happen because of forces outside of Columbus) - is definitely unnecessary and, in my humble opinion, unwise. That's simply not a good business decision. Any deal that (not said literally ) requires you to go to church every Sunday and pray for a good outcome is a deal that's not good enough. This business is hard enough as it is and not having a good margin for error is simply not wise. I respect your opinion but we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
That's fantastic! I knew about some of these but others were a surprise. @Steven Foster Wilson Any idea what timeline this is expected to happen on? Obviously every company is different but are talking 2023-2025 or beyond?
Developer · Panama City Beach, FL · Member since 2013 · 130 posts · 88 votes
3y
If you are happy with $100/mth I've got 3 duplexes in NW FL in a fast growing area I can sell you. You can probably make 20% on your cash much sooner than 10 years from now.
Honestly, if you load up on a bunch of properties with $100/door/month cash flow and you don't have about 100x that in cash reserves per house, you may not make it to year 10.
Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 10 votes
3y
@Jimmy Lieu I think I Agee with Ed. I know I am a super noob in the Columbus market, I have only 3 SFH and been buying since 2021 but saying an investment is good if it $100 a door, is something I disagree with.
My metric I use is cash on cash return. It is all about how hard your money is working for you. If you are making $100 dollars and invested $1,000,000. I think we can agree it is an awful investment. But that is just my opinion.
Rental Property Investor · Somewhere over the Rainbow · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
This is awesome for Columbus. Now let's see what ACTUALLY happens in the next 5-10 years.
I do think this is a much better area as opposed to Cleveland.
I always find it funny that everytime a Columbus/Cleveland thread is made there is a group with a vested interest in that area that chimes in to the same tune all together at once.
@Jimmy Lieu I think I Agee with Ed. I know I am a super noob in the Columbus market, I have only 3 SFH and been buying since 2021 but saying an investment is good if it $100 a door, is something I disagree with.
My metric I use is cash on cash return. It is all about how hard your money is working for you. If you are making $100 dollars and invested $1,000,000. I think we can agree it is an awful investment. But that is just my opinion.
Of course - you should factor in down payment, financing, how much capital you have, etc. - I definitely pay attention to cash on cash return as well. But in generality, $100/mo in net isn't bad is all I'm saying and I would buy these deals any day of the week (as long as the coc returns and down payments and other #s make sense)
Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2020 · 236 posts · 247 votes
3y
@Jeremy H. Yeah, this is looks exactly like one of those posts. All of these agents work together and are posting from neighboring cubicles trying to drum up business from left coasters.
Is anyone else wondering why these big left coast companies are moving to Ohio? I sure hope they don't bring the same problems they caused out west. I say this because Ohio is on my bucket list to visit and I would appreciate experiencing Ohio for what it is currently and not what it might become under outside influence.
Is anyone else wondering why these big left coast companies are moving to Ohio? I sure hope they don't bring the same problems they caused out west. I say this because Ohio is on my bucket list to visit and I would appreciate experiencing Ohio for what it is currently and not what it might become under outside influence.
Cost of living is cheaper and we have a large supply of college graduates in central Ohio
Is anyone else wondering why these big left coast companies are moving to Ohio? I sure hope they don't bring the same problems they caused out west. I say this because Ohio is on my bucket list to visit and I would appreciate experiencing Ohio for what it is currently and not what it might become under outside influence.
Low cost of living, affordable real estate prices, population is growing, great economics in Columbus Ohio! I always tell my investor clients that if you want a safe bet for a real estate market to invest in, I would go with Columbus Ohio - it has a great mix of both appreciation and cash flow