Skip to content
Medium-Term Rentals

User Stats

Votes
Nicolas Pena
  • Raleigh
Votes |
How to Find People working/Traveling in Tech?

Nicolas Pena
  • Raleigh
Posted May 26 2023, 11:16

Hey All,

I Have Two MTR in Raleigh. I have Used FF 90 Percent of the time. I understand there is a lot of Tech in this Area, Any strategies or advice on how to find people coming into the area with tech that need these MTR. 

Thank you all!! 

Account Closed
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 26 2023, 14:15

Find the places they're working at and try to get in a reasonable proximity of them. In my area, many target traveling nurses for MTR, so they for example would seek homes within a reasonable distance of large medical employers, which in my area would be the Wexner Medical Center and Nationwide Children's Hospital. 

Account Closed
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 26 2023, 14:16
Quote from @Account Closed:

Find the places they're working at and try to get in a reasonable proximity of them. In my area, many target traveling nurses for MTR, so they for example would seek homes within a reasonable distance of large medical employers, which in my area would be the Wexner Medical Center and Nationwide Children's Hospital. 

And if you meant more specific to marketing to this profile of tenant, you could use FF or Air BnB, or check out online groups (facebook).

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 5% down loan options. Access the BEST deals in the US in one place. Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Allen Duan
Pro Member
#3 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied May 26 2023, 15:48

Hi Nicolas, are your MTRs listed on Airbnb? I imagine people working in the tech industry may be more likely to look for housing through Airbnb than Furnished Finder. We find travelers with higher budgets tend to book on Airbnb and Furnished Finder attracts more budget conscious travelers.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Sousa
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 26 2023, 15:50

Let me give you a real world scenario, as I live near Tesla in Austin. So big company (lets say Tesla) moves into a new city. That company is looking for local labor and or experts that will move there to work. So local labor already has housing, however the transplants with kids, dogs and their lives do not and they are either looking to rent for a bit then buy or buy right away. I have found 9 out of 10 all want to rent for 6 months to see if they like tesla and also the area. So guess what, provide then housing so they can feel at home while they make up their mind. On top of that look for your local tourism center in the town where you are looking and ask them what companies or people are looking for housing. Then target them. Also prowl Airbnb and see who has MTR listings and the rates. I hope that helps but there is always demand if you know where to look. 

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied May 27 2023, 15:00

If you're looking for tech workers, you've got to have your property online and I agree with @Allen Duan that they're using Airbnb more than any other platform. But don't overlook direct booking and using Instagram to drive them to your booking site. The digital nomad is far more familiar and comfortable with direct booking so long as it's sleek, compatible with their mobile devices and at least as easy to use as Airbnb.

User Stats

Votes
Nicolas Pena
  • Raleigh
Votes |
  • Raleigh
Replied May 29 2023, 11:34

All Great advice! Thank you all.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 30 2023, 02:21

If you are trying to attract professionals in the tech field, I suggest focusing on designing your MTR specifically to these types of tenants. Here are some examples of things you can focus on to make your property appeal to them.

1. Home Office Setup: Create a comfortable remote work environment equipped with reliable high-speed internet.
  2. Coffee Machine: Keep them energized with a high-quality coffee machine like a Keurig.
  3. Outdoor Workspaces: Offer an inviting workspace outdoors for good weather days.
  4. Proximity to Amenities: Ensure your property is close to grocery stores, restaurants, and entertainment.
  5. Smart Home Features: Increase appeal and convenience with smart home features.

Balancing the appeal of your property for diverse tenants is crucial. Regardless of the specific amenities, always uphold cleanliness, provide excellent customer service, and offer competitive rates to ensure a great rental experience. Targeting tech professionals is advantageous due to their higher income and frequency of business trips.

There are a lot of tech companies with large presences in Raleigh. IBM, Cisco, Red Hat, and Lenovo are all examples of tech companies with offices in Raleigh, so targeting individuals in the field is a smart way to go.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 6 2023, 11:44
Software Engineer here. If I was in your situation I would try to find tech recruiters on LinkedIn and offer them commissions for referrals. At least in the software engineering business we never travel long term for work so it's all going to be relocations for new jobs.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 8 2023, 18:00

Im reading these posts and salivated. Thanks, BP experts for the information and conversation. I'll let you know when my MTR becomes a glaring success. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 12 2023, 09:40

@Nicolas Pena Have you heard of Landing? Similar UI to Airbnb but I think their target is MTR. They don't limit to MTRs, but have higher standards to set up a place in their platform and have checks in place that make it friendly for tech travelers. Doesn't cost to post but I found it a little more work to post than Airbnb or Furnished Finder so worth a try!

User Stats

Votes
Conner Olsen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 13 2023, 09:55
Quote from @Nicolas Pena:

Hey All,

I Have Two MTR in Raleigh. I have Used FF 90 Percent of the time. I understand there is a lot of Tech in this Area, Any strategies or advice on how to find people coming into the area with tech that need these MTR. 

Thank you all!! 

Airbnb