Hi my name is Lina Truong and I just recently moved to Kyle, Texas from San Diego, I very opened to learn the ins and outs of starting from 0 to get knowledge and advise on buying a property for MTR. I want to seek out anyone that can help me (knows laws, permits, regulations for this process). I truly need direction and step by step guide to start this whole thing from scratch. I need to get the ball rolling asap. Thank you for taking the time to read this post, have a wonderful rest of your day馃槉.
Lender 路 Asheville, NC 路 Member since 2016 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
1y
Hi, Lina! I'm glad you reached out for help. The community here on BP is great about supporting each other. I'd like to invite you to participate in a group I host called THE MTR Connect. We meet (virtually) every Friday from noon - 1:30pm (EST). This group is an incredible collection of midterm rental hosts who support one another by offering advice and suggestions, being a sounding board for each other, offering mentorship and collaboration opportunities and share our respective networks. I think you'd find it very helpful in your situation. If you're interested, please send me a message and I'll get you signed up.
Lender 路 Asheville, NC 路 Member since 2016 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
1y
Hi, Lina! I'm glad you reached out for help. The community here on BP is great about supporting each other. I'd like to invite you to participate in a group I host called THE MTR Connect. We meet (virtually) every Friday from noon - 1:30pm (EST). This group is an incredible collection of midterm rental hosts who support one another by offering advice and suggestions, being a sounding board for each other, offering mentorship and collaboration opportunities and share our respective networks. I think you'd find it very helpful in your situation. If you're interested, please send me a message and I'll get you signed up.
Property Manager 路 Dallas, TX 路 Member since 2015 路 61 posts 路 35 votes
1y
Hi Lina -- I'm based in Dallas but wouldn't know the laws for the city and county of Kyle, Texas. Seek out local real estate groups to get an idea and network around local regulations. But the good news is Texas is a great spot for MTRs. I'll also add that Bonnie's group is a great resource with operators from 0-Bonnie. LOL.
Lender 路 Member since 2023 路 464 posts 路 425 votes
1y
Hi Lina, I'd recommend finding a local agent that is familiar with the investment properties and law, permits, regulations for STRs/MTRs in Kyle, Texas. If you partner with the right agent and use the advice and mentorship that Bonnie's group is offering, you should be in good shap! Also find a good lender that is well versed in STR/MTR loans to make sure you qualify for financing (if you need it) and that they can execute the loan smoothly
Real Estate Consultant 路 Ann Arbor, MI 路 Member since 2022 路 463 posts 路 253 votes
1y
Hi Lina from Texas-
Congratulations on your interest in investing in mid-term rentals and you are wondering how and where to get started.
I get this question frequently from investors.
Sometimes and investor is looking to keep their property cashflow positive as insurance and taxes have squeezed cashflow by turning units into mid-term or short-term rentals.
First off, ideally, the property will cashflow as a long-term rental should something disrupt the mid-term rental model.
You will also want to have the property be near where there would be a demand for mid-term rentals (hospitals, universities, research centers).
Monthly rents for mid-term rentals are about 20% (+/-) higher than unfurnished similar long-term rentals.
There are property managers that will manage mid-term rentals for you and I always advise my clients to use property managers to keep their investment as passive as possible and for compliance issues related to Fair Housing Laws and local regulations.
Lender 路 Los Angeles, CA 路 Member since 2015 路 35 posts 路 21 votes
1y
@Lina Truong definitely submerse yourself in MTR learning for at least 2-3 months. Ebooks, podcasts like @Bonnie Low suggested and start running numbers on every deal you see until you know how it all works. Once you have ran through about 3 months or so of this and penciled out 50-100 deals for fun, I would talk to a local agent and start the process of looking. Make sure you are clear on your objective so they are not showing you deals that are not worth looking at. If you have any loan questions feel free to reach out. Wishing you great success!
Hi Lina -- I'm based in Dallas but wouldn't know the laws for the city and county of Kyle, Texas. Seek out local real estate groups to get an idea and network around local regulations. But the good news is Texas is a great spot for MTRs. I'll also add that Bonnie's group is a great resource with operators from 0-Bonnie. LOL.
Hi Lina, I'd recommend finding a local agent that is familiar with the investment properties and law, permits, regulations for STRs/MTRs in Kyle, Texas. If you partner with the right agent and use the advice and mentorship that Bonnie's group is offering, you should be in good shap! Also find a good lender that is well versed in STR/MTR loans to make sure you qualify for financing (if you need it) and that they can execute the loan smoothly
Congratulations on your interest in investing in mid-term rentals and you are wondering how and where to get started.
I get this question frequently from investors.
Sometimes and investor is looking to keep their property cashflow positive as insurance and taxes have squeezed cashflow by turning units into mid-term or short-term rentals.
First off, ideally, the property will cashflow as a long-term rental should something disrupt the mid-term rental model.
You will also want to have the property be near where there would be a demand for mid-term rentals (hospitals, universities, research centers).
Monthly rents for mid-term rentals are about 20% (+/-) higher than unfurnished similar long-term rentals.
There are property managers that will manage mid-term rentals for you and I always advise my clients to use property managers to keep their investment as passive as possible and for compliance issues related to Fair Housing Laws and local regulations.
@Lina Truong definitely submerse yourself in MTR learning for at least 2-3 months. Ebooks, podcasts like @Bonnie Low suggested and start running numbers on every deal you see until you know how it all works. Once you have ran through about 3 months or so of this and penciled out 50-100 deals for fun, I would talk to a local agent and start the process of looking. Make sure you are clear on your objective so they are not showing you deals that are not worth looking at. If you have any loan questions feel free to reach out. Wishing you great success!
Starting with mid-term rentals (MTRs) can feel daunting, but breaking it into steps makes it manageable. Focus on learning the basics of MTRs, including their appeal to traveling professionals and the need for furnished properties. Research Kyle, TX's rental demand, local regulations, and HOA rules. Build a team of professionals, prepare your finances, and carefully select a property near high-demand areas like hospitals or corporate hubs. Once you've set up and marketed your rental, use the cash flow to scale your portfolio over time. This step-by-step approach has worked well for many, and it can for you too!
Hi, Lina! I'm glad you reached out for help. The community here on BP is great about supporting each other. I'd like to invite you to participate in a group I host called THE MTR Connect. We meet (virtually) every Friday from noon - 1:30pm (EST). This group is an incredible collection of midterm rental hosts who support one another by offering advice and suggestions, being a sounding board for each other, offering mentorship and collaboration opportunities and share our respective networks. I think you'd find it very helpful in your situation. If you're interested, please send me a message and I'll get you signed up.
Best of luck to you!
Hi Bonnie! One of the reasons I joined BP this month is to participate in a weekly connect just like this, as I know how powerful they can be. Would love any additional info and the chance to check it out! Sent DM. Cheers
Hi, Lina! I'm glad you reached out for help. The community here on BP is great about supporting each other. I'd like to invite you to participate in a group I host called THE MTR Connect. We meet (virtually) every Friday from noon - 1:30pm (EST). This group is an incredible collection of midterm rental hosts who support one another by offering advice and suggestions, being a sounding board for each other, offering mentorship and collaboration opportunities and share our respective networks. I think you'd find it very helpful in your situation. If you're interested, please send me a message and I'll get you signed up.
Best of luck to you!
Hi Bonnie! One of the reasons I joined BP this month is to participate in a weekly connect just like this, as I know how powerful they can be. Would love any additional info and the chance to check it out! Sent DM. Cheers
I'd be happy to add you, Jerod. Just send me your email and phone.
Real Estate Agent 路 Austin, TX 路 Member since 2024 路 30 posts 路 8 votes
1y
Welcome to Texas! I specialize in investment properties in Kyle, Buda, & Austin. If you need someone to take you step by step through the process I'd be happy to help. I would first suggest deciding your budget and strategy. If you are struggling to figure those out, reach out and I can help. I have helped a lot of first time investors learn the process and successfully buy their first investment property.
Either way, best of luck! And partner with people you trust & have done it here in Kyle before - by far the most important tip I can give.
Property Manager 路 San Antonio, TX 路 Member since 2024 路 37 posts 路 15 votes
1y
Hi Lina, I'm based in San Antonio TX and send many Austin/Kyle area buyers to Blake Anthony Carter with the Cribs Realty Group. He has a track record of finding great properties for STR and MTR. Check him out and connect with him on IG @cribsrealtygroup.
Real Estate Agent 路 Austin, TX 路 Member since 2020 路 101 posts 路 47 votes
1y
Hey Lina! Austin is one of the best places in the country for MTR's.We have been crushing it with MTR's. Happy to talk directly about areas and types of deals that have worked well for us.
It鈥檚 exciting to hear that you鈥檙e looking to invest in a mid-term rental (MTR), and I鈥檇 love to help you navigate the financing side of things.
Understanding loan options, down payment requirements, interest rates, and how lenders view MTR properties is crucial to setting yourself up for success. I鈥檇 be happy to walk you through the process, from pre-approval to closing, and provide guidance on the best mortgage products for your goals.
Congratulations on your interest in investing in mid-term rentals and you are wondering how and where to get started.
I get this question frequently from investors.
Sometimes and investor is looking to keep their property cashflow positive as insurance and taxes have squeezed cashflow by turning units into mid-term or short-term rentals.
First off, ideally, the property will cashflow as a long-term rental should something disrupt the mid-term rental model.
You will also want to have the property be near where there would be a demand for mid-term rentals (hospitals, universities, research centers).
Monthly rents for mid-term rentals are about 20% (+/-) higher than unfurnished similar long-term rentals.
There are property managers that will manage mid-term rentals for you and I always advise my clients to use property managers to keep their investment as passive as possible and for compliance issues related to Fair Housing Laws and local regulations.
To Your Success!
We find that they're easily 50% above LTR here in the Austin area. I own a few and so do agents on our team.
Specialist 路 Austin TX 路 Member since 2018 路 82 posts 路 55 votes
1y
Hi @Lina Truong Welcome to MTR investing. I've been running mid term rentals now for over 5 years and operate nearly 30 properties. I'm also a licensed Realtor who helps investors find investment properties and I have specific guidance on what makes a great MTR.
There are so many things to learn about MTRs just like any business.
Legal Operations Systems Marketing Amenities and more!
I'd love to see how I can help you. You can check my profile for access to more information.
Hi, Lina! I'm glad you reached out for help. The community here on BP is great about supporting each other. I'd like to invite you to participate in a group I host called THE MTR Connect. We meet (virtually) every Friday from noon - 1:30pm (EST). This group is an incredible collection of midterm rental hosts who support one another by offering advice and suggestions, being a sounding board for each other, offering mentorship and collaboration opportunities and share our respective networks. I think you'd find it very helpful in your situation. If you're interested, please send me a message and I'll get you signed up.
Best of luck to you!
Could you please send to me the group link? I also would like to join for connections
Rental Property Investor 路 College Station, TX 路 Member since 2016 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
1y
I would not base the income potential for a MTR on a rule of thumb. I have 7 MTR and my income is 1.7x my long-term rates ($1200 vs $2000), but that is very specific to my properties, my location, my business model, etc.
My recommendation is for your first MTR to get something that would be a decent LTR, this way you have a fallback strategy. Get in a good location and take the leap. The first one is the hardest but once you have a proof of concept you are off to the races :)