Wholesaling

User Stats

Votes
Jay Ben
Votes |
Can a wholesaler hire a realtor to list property on MLS

Jay Ben
Posted Oct 10 2022, 18:57

Hello everyone, I was told you can hire a broker to list a property on the mls when having it under contract. I am wondering if there is a way to check if it’s allowed in other markets. I am in Los Angeles and I heard it’s not allowed in California but in Pensacola it’s apparently allowed? Anybody have more info on this? Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Noble Jr
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Dec 24 2022, 15:04

Ive heard of it......I dont know how ethical it is per realtor associations 

User Stats

Votes
Trenton Miller
  • Contractor
  • Orange County & Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Orange County & Los Angeles, CA
Replied Dec 24 2022, 17:08

As A wholesaler you have a contract to sell the property between you and the homeowner.  A Realtor should have a contract with the homeowner not a 3rd party.  If they do it, it's not a Realtor I woild work with. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Dec 25 2022, 05:55

@Jay Ben

In the states I have bought or sold in the realtor can only list a property for the owner of the property

Since you don’t own it no they cannot list it.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Sobilo#1 Legal & Legislation Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Votes |
Kevin Sobilo#1 Legal & Legislation Contributor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Replied Dec 25 2022, 07:00

@Jay Ben, it has definitely been done. I am an agent and I myself bought a wholesale deal that was on the MLS, but it was put there by a placement service not listed through an agent.

Once the wholesaler has it under contract they have what's called "equitable title". Obviously that isn't the same as actual ownership but if they can advertise it for sale in other places, why not the MLS as long as its done honestly.

FYI. I'm not even a big fan of wholesalers in large part because it often isn't done honestly. 

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 25 2022, 08:28

Only way you can do this is having a listing agreement with the seller at the price you and them contracted at and agree you get paid the rest. They usually are opposed to it   

User Stats

Votes
Jerryll Noorden#2 Marketing Your Property Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Wilton, CT
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Wilton, CT
Replied Dec 25 2022, 08:53

WAIT stop.

WTH?!

I am completely confused here. Before even answering this question...

The whole point of cash offers, including "wholesaling" is that it is an ALTERNATIVE to listing it.

So you as the wholesaler are going to list the property... 

So why are you as the wholesaler even there? Why doesn't the seller just list it DIRECTLY with the agent? What is the value you offer?

Does the seller know?

And NO, .. I mean I am not an agent and I am not an expert but there is NO WAY you can list a property you do NOT own on the MLS. That makes absolutely no sense.

So who is responsible, if "the seller" didn't disclose that there are termites or no operating smoke detectors?!

Mind is malfunctioning right now...

User Stats

Votes
Kwame Darko
Votes |
Replied Dec 25 2022, 15:00

@Jerryll Noorden There is a new way that wholesalers have been listing properties on the mls through “novation agreements”. 

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Dec 25 2022, 18:31
Quote from @Kevin Sobilo:

@Jay Ben, it has definitely been done. I am an agent and I myself bought a wholesale deal that was on the MLS, but it was put there by a placement service not listed through an agent.

Once the wholesaler has it under contract they have what's called "equitable title". Obviously that isn't the same as actual ownership but if they can advertise it for sale in other places, why not the MLS as long as its done honestly.

FYI. I'm not even a big fan of wholesalers in large part because it often isn't done honestly. 

I believe you are in the Bright MLS footprint. It is not allowed by Brights rules.
District Invest Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Wilton, CT
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Wilton, CT
Replied Dec 26 2022, 04:02
Quote from @Kwame Darko:

@Jerryll Noorden There is a new way that wholesalers have been listing properties on the mls through “novation agreements”. 

Dude it's because of this that wholesaling is doomed to be banned. 

They don't know when to quit!

User Stats

Votes
Pam Brown
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Indianapolis IN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Indianapolis IN
Replied Dec 26 2022, 08:02

Hello

From Indiana---No, I would never list a property for someone who truly doesn't own it.

User Stats

Votes
Mark Pedroza
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento/Placer ~ San Francisco Bay Area counties
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento/Placer ~ San Francisco Bay Area counties
Replied Dec 27 2022, 02:04
Quote from @Jay Ben:

Hello everyone, I was told you can hire a broker to list a property on the mls when having it under contract. I am wondering if there is a way to check if it’s allowed in other markets. I am in Los Angeles and I heard it’s not allowed in California but in Pensacola it’s apparently allowed? Anybody have more info on this? Thanks!

You're correct it's not allowed in CA..

• Real Estate Agent CA (#01858403)

• 1-415-786-6700

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Blankenship
  • Investor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Dec 29 2022, 11:33
Quote from @Jerryll Noorden:
Quote from @Kwame Darko:

Plenty of wholesalers and realtors doing stupid stuff like this that will eventually lead to wholesaling being banned or HEAVILY regulated.

Regulations here in Ohio are already way tighter than they used to be.  The REAL players have to deal with new nonsense and new "players" in town that make everyone's business' harder to operate than usual.

Hey, maybe something like a recession that may or may not be coming will wipe out all these "players" 🙂

User Stats

Votes
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Wilton, CT
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Wilton, CT
Replied Dec 29 2022, 13:54
Quote from @Bryan Blankenship:
Quote from @Jerryll Noorden:
Quote from @Kwame Darko:

Plenty of wholesalers and realtors doing stupid stuff like this that will eventually lead to wholesaling being banned or HEAVILY regulated.

Regulations here in Ohio are already way tighter than they used to be.  The REAL players have to deal with new nonsense and new "players" in town that make everyone's business' harder to operate than usual.

Hey, maybe something like a recession that may or may not be coming will wipe out all these "players" 🙂

I agree dude.

This is just retarded!

User Stats

Votes
Scott Allen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jan 4 2023, 08:42

I've heard that this method is whack

Reafco - Columbus, OH  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Stephen Dispensa
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jan 10 2023, 06:56

If the MLS has a contract and a section allowing you to market a sales agreement, sure. Literally not a single MLS in the country has such a thing. So to answer your question, no. Marketing a home for sale on the MLS when you don't actually own the home is considered fraud on both the wholesaler and the realtors part. Could result in not only the realtor losing their license and board membership, but possible criminal charges for both the realtor and the wholesaler.

There's probably people who have gotten away with this in the past, but all it takes is one deal going wrong and the whole thing blows up.