Are You A Real Wholesaler? How Many Have You Done?

Are You A Real Wholesaler? How Many Have You Done?

Brandon TurnerPro Member
Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes

Hey everyone - I just wrote a post in the BP Blog about how I believe only 1% of "wholesalers" ever do a single deal. This got me thinking - I wonder if anyone is making money and doing wholesale deals?

If you are an actual wholesaler - how many deals have you done? Let us know by replying in this thread - and let us know any advice you can give from your success. Thanks!

0Reply
60 views

Most Popular Reply

Will BarnardPro Member
Moderator
Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
13y

I have wholesaled many homes here in CA, though, only one in the last 12+ months. Since the market turned tight, and I have built even more funds (mine and private money) than before, I keep everything I can get my hands on and rehab them myself.

When I was wholesaling deals more often, I would make at least $10k per deal and the last year I wholesaled, I made over $90k just from wholesaling alone.

Most "wholesalers" (the 99% you spoke of) don't make money because they dont learn how to properly do it or know what real deals are. There are numerous threads on that topic including what I consider the best wholesale thread on BP which is:
http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/93/topics/58383-the-truth-about-wholesaling-

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Niagara Falls, NY · Member since 2012 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    Well then I'm pumped to be in the 1%! I'm a new investor (June 2012) and like many noobs, finances peg me in the wholesaler category right now. After a couple of months of organizing and getting things in line, I started marketing my business aggressively in August. We closed our first deal in Octobert and currently have another property under contract that we're trying to wholesale to another investor. No, the paychecks are not as big as other avenues, but it's a great way to break into the business and build relationships with local investors. You can't "dabble" in wholesaling. Say you're going to do it and go do it! I actually just wrote a blog about Self Talk that could be related as to why so many new wholesalers die off. Check it out :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Prosper, TX · Member since 2008 · 51 posts · 6 votes
    13y

    I am a real wholesaler doing real deals. Have been doing one per month on average for the past six months.

    Some of my deals have been big enough that if they were all that size, I'd be able to do it full time and live better than I am now. Others have been much smaller.

    I do know multiple people doing it in my market full time, and am confident that if someone were in the right market and took the right approach to scaling things up, they could as well.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Eugene, OR · Member since 2013 · 178 posts · 39 votes
    13y

    Sure, Brandon. I've done eight wholesale deals over the past year or so. As far as making money, every one has been profitable. Some more than others!

  • Investor · Midwest, USA · Member since 2012 · 204 posts · 33 votes
    13y

    In 2012 I did 10 @ avg profit of $6,750. Year before I did 7 @ avg profit of $10,500. I have 3 pending this year so far with avg profit of $9,000.

    I would love to rehab house after house and make $30-40k per deal, but in my market it is very hard to make over $20,000 on a rehab. So I choose to primarily wholesale because I can make about half that with absolutely $0 at risk (aside from marketing which I spend about $500 to $1000/mo). Plus I can deal in properties that are not candidates for rehab.

    I try to make $10,000 on a wholesale. If its less than $5,000 I usually don't bother.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    13y

    I have wholesaled many homes here in CA, though, only one in the last 12+ months. Since the market turned tight, and I have built even more funds (mine and private money) than before, I keep everything I can get my hands on and rehab them myself.

    When I was wholesaling deals more often, I would make at least $10k per deal and the last year I wholesaled, I made over $90k just from wholesaling alone.

    Most "wholesalers" (the 99% you spoke of) don't make money because they dont learn how to properly do it or know what real deals are. There are numerous threads on that topic including what I consider the best wholesale thread on BP which is:
    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/93/topics/58383-the-truth-about-wholesaling-

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2012 · 113 posts · 26 votes
    13y

    I started my wholesaling biz in June 2012 and marketed to absentee owners and probates. From the first mailing I closed a deal where I netted $37,000 profit (I know - beginner's luck). Exactly one month later I closed on a SFR and $13,000. Since that time I have made approximately 8 offers but no deals. Things dried up from November through early January but calls are beginning to come more frequently now.

    Hopefully 2013 will be better!

  • Gene HackerPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Lake Isabella, CA · Member since 2011 · 974 posts · 488 votes
    13y

    Kelly P.

    That is a great start...beginners luck or not. The amount of "luck" one has is usually directly proportional to how hard one works.

    I like the old saying...the harder I work the luckier I get.

  • Highland, IN · Member since 2012 · 253 posts · 36 votes
    13y

    These are great results to read about from everyone. I'm just about to start direct mailing absentee owners for the first time, so hopefully I will be summarizing my 2013 results a year from now.

    I had a few questions for the group. When you go to look at a house, do you have the exact end buyer in mind before you make an offer? My guess is the more deals you've done, the better idea of exactly who your end buyer will be (whether it's a rehabber or landlord). Has this changed from your very first deal to where you are currently as a wholesaler?

    My other question is about marketing costs and methods. For this group, what does your average marketing spending come out to per deal and what is your return on investment from marketing? Also, what methods are you using to get to motivated sellers?

    Looking forward to hearing more about your experiences.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y

    Hey Kyle B. - I hate to do this, but would you mind asking your questions in a new thread so we can keep this one on focus? Thanks a lot for the understanding!

  • Highland, IN · Member since 2012 · 253 posts · 36 votes
    13y

    Sorry... looks like I got a little carried away.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y

    No problem! Definitely do jump in with your own thread -- you'll get some great feedback.

    Back to wholesale deals numbers . . . .

  • Real Estate Consultant · Eugene, OR · Member since 2013 · 178 posts · 39 votes
    13y

    Kyle-

    Sometimes I have a specific buyer for a property and sometimes I don't. If it's a deal, I'll go ahead and offer on it (or buy it at auction) and then market it.
    When I first started, I wouldn't close unless I had a buyer.
    I'm not sure about my average marketing spending per deal, but probably around $1k. Hard to measure ROI from marketing, but most of mine has come from free methods anyway.
    Hope that helps!

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    It looks there are, indeed, some real wholesalers out there. Anyone else want to chime in? I'd love to see who else is wholesaling.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    13y

    I'm not a wholesaler, per se, but I do wholesale some deals when it makes more sense (from an ROI standpoint) than flipping does. I wholesaled three properties in 2012, for an average profit about just under $10K each.

  • Glen Allen, VA · Member since 2013 · 134 posts · 23 votes
    13y

    This is what I want to get into....wholesaling. At least, at first. I like this thread! So far, no deals for me. I still have yet to get out there and do it. But that is for another thread, once I do it!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Three in the last month.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Brian Stone - Make sure you read this article from the blog. It's perfect.

    Don’t Start Wholesaling Until You Read This: Wholesale Advice from a Fix and Flipper

  • Goshen, KY · Member since 2009 · 835 posts · 683 votes
    13y

    Hey Brandon-

    I have been investing since 1998, and a full time wholesaler since 2008. I don't even remember how many I have wholesaled; but it's a bunch. The number of deals you do is always important; there's no doubt about that. But one other figure I worked on the past two years, was getting my wholesale fee up. I think that number is just as important. You can make more doing fewer deals, and it helps keep you from jumping on marginal deals.

    I have had a few come my way that I would have normally passed on, but I had a low end buyer looking for those types of houses. So I would put the house under contract and pass it on to him a few days later for $3K-4K.

    I have also made $20 on a few, but that is not the norm here where the average price of a SFH is about 140K or so. I looked back at my average wholesale fee a several years ago, and I saw that with the high and the low I was making consistently about $7500 on average, and I decided I wanted to get that up. I made it my goal to try to make 10K on each house. Do I always do that? No. But most of the time I manage to do that.

    Having a money goal in mind rather than a "number of houses" goal, made me more focused on the types of properties I should be buying. I also made it a point to really nail down what my buyers wanted me to bring them.

    That brings me to one final point; many of my buyers have changed their buying criteria the past few years. We need to be really listening to what they have to say, and be ready to adapt. As the market changes we all have to be ready to change.

    Sharon

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Great point Sharon. That's awesome!

  • Real Estate Agent · Hackettstown, NJ · Member since 2011 · 206 posts · 62 votes
    13y

    Technically these were not wholesaled, because I have my RE License, but deal one I had the intention of.

    Deal 1.) Found on Craigslist, I called the wholesaler (actually a rehabber with to much inventory), and he told me to call his RE Agent, because no one responded, so he gave it to him to list on the MLS. So I brought my Rehabber and showed him the deal. He bought it through me acting as a buyers agent. (profit roughly $5,000 after broker gets his cut). My rehabber will be giving it to me to re-sell after rehab is complete. Rehabber bought it for 325k, expecting to sell for above 549k. The wholesaler who sold it bought it for 260k (nice profit for him huh?). Total time, an hour or two!

    Deal 2.) Found on MLS - Proud of this one because I out-maneuvered the other investors & their agents, because I could see that this family wanted to stay in the home through the holidays. So we won the contract on the terms, not price! 260k, while letting them stay in the property for $1 for 6 months rent. This was worth more to them than the 270k quick close others offered. Plus it helped that I played nice with the listing agent. Total time 3 hours max, profit on first sale $6,000. Plus resale on back end eventually.

    So while I am still trying to get that true wholesale, I thought I would share these stories for new wholesalers wondering whether or not to get a RE License too.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.