Real Estate Agent · San Luis Obispo · Member since 2024 · 8 posts · 11 votes
Hey guys, I am looking to buy my first property myself in Cleveland, Ohio looking at the price to rent ratio I know I am buying in a rough area, but I like the long-term upside. I'm looking to get connected with an amazing realtor, Contractor and property management team. I would appreciate any insight and any recommendations you guys have.
If you guys would like to collaborate on a deal, please let me know. Could also use help with capital to make things happen sooner , and to gain more experience.
I'm a real estate agent in California who's been in the industry for over three years but in California the amount of Needed is too high and the margins are not high enough. I am looking to grow a team of people boots on the ground and then find a bunch of California people who want to invest and out of state markets, especially Cleveland, Ohio
Hey guys, I am looking to buy my first property myself in Cleveland, Ohio looking at the price to rent ratio I know I am buying in a rough area, but I like the long-term upside. I'm looking to get connected with an amazing realtor, Contractor and property management team. I would appreciate any insight and any recommendations you guys have.
If you guys would like to collaborate on a deal, please let me know. Could also use help with capital to make things happen sooner , and to gain more experience.
I'm a real estate agent in California who's been in the industry for over three years but in California the amount of Needed is too high and the margins are not high enough. I am looking to grow a team of people boots on the ground and then find a bunch of California people who want to invest and out of state markets, especially Cleveland, Ohio
I would only buy in A/B/C class of cleveland. Avoid most of the east side unless it is near the cleveland clinic or other B/C class areas. The headache simply isn't worth it.
My team finds a ton of off-market deals in cleveland that I can share with you. Also I built a drive full of info and resources I can send. LMK.
Hey guys, I am looking to buy my first property myself in Cleveland, Ohio looking at the price to rent ratio I know I am buying in a rough area, but I like the long-term upside. I'm looking to get connected with an amazing realtor, Contractor and property management team. I would appreciate any insight and any recommendations you guys have.
If you guys would like to collaborate on a deal, please let me know. Could also use help with capital to make things happen sooner , and to gain more experience.
I'm a real estate agent in California who's been in the industry for over three years but in California the amount of Needed is too high and the margins are not high enough. I am looking to grow a team of people boots on the ground and then find a bunch of California people who want to invest and out of state markets, especially Cleveland, Ohio
I would only buy in A/B/C class of cleveland. Avoid most of the east side unless it is near the cleveland clinic or other B/C class areas. The headache simply isn't worth it.
My team finds a ton of off-market deals in cleveland that I can share with you. Also I built a drive full of info and resources I can send. LMK.
Hey guys, I am looking to buy my first property myself in Cleveland, Ohio looking at the price to rent ratio I know I am buying in a rough area, but I like the long-term upside. I'm looking to get connected with an amazing realtor, Contractor and property management team. I would appreciate any insight and any recommendations you guys have.
If you guys would like to collaborate on a deal, please let me know. Could also use help with capital to make things happen sooner , and to gain more experience.
I'm a real estate agent in California who's been in the industry for over three years but in California the amount of Needed is too high and the margins are not high enough. I am looking to grow a team of people boots on the ground and then find a bunch of California people who want to invest and out of state markets, especially Cleveland, Ohio
Hey guys, I am looking to buy my first property myself in Cleveland, Ohio looking at the price to rent ratio I know I am buying in a rough area, but I like the long-term upside. I'm looking to get connected with an amazing realtor, Contractor and property management team. I would appreciate any insight and any recommendations you guys have.
If you guys would like to collaborate on a deal, please let me know. Could also use help with capital to make things happen sooner , and to gain more experience.
I'm a real estate agent in California who's been in the industry for over three years but in California the amount of Needed is too high and the margins are not high enough. I am looking to grow a team of people boots on the ground and then find a bunch of California people who want to invest and out of state markets, especially Cleveland, Ohio
Welcome to the Ohio market! Happy to discuss the Cleveland market with you
Hey guys, I am looking to buy my first property myself in Cleveland, Ohio looking at the price to rent ratio I know I am buying in a rough area, but I like the long-term upside. I'm looking to get connected with an amazing realtor, Contractor and property management team. I would appreciate any insight and any recommendations you guys have.
If you guys would like to collaborate on a deal, please let me know. Could also use help with capital to make things happen sooner , and to gain more experience.
I'm a real estate agent in California who's been in the industry for over three years but in California the amount of Needed is too high and the margins are not high enough. I am looking to grow a team of people boots on the ground and then find a bunch of California people who want to invest and out of state markets, especially Cleveland, Ohio
Welcome to the Ohio market! Happy to discuss the Cleveland market with you
Cleveland can definitely make sense for out-of-state investing, but I’d be careful about chasing the highest price-to-rent ratio. Personally, I’d stick to A/B/C class areas where you have stronger tenant demand, better resale options, and fewer headaches with the property. If you’re building a team, having a solid PM, contractor, lender, and boots on the ground is huge. There are some good opportunities in Cleveland, but I’d rather pay a little more for a better area than get trapped by a cheap property in a rough pocket.
Specialist · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2011 · 877 posts · 398 votes
1mo
Hi Kyle. I also live here in California. And I work with a really good team of people in Cleveland. They offer all kinds of properties, and also handle the management as well. Happy to connect you to them.
Contractor here in Florida and Ohio. Went to Cleveland for as few months working on some houses recently for a few friends that bought into the investor market in Cleveland. Was in the area of Buckeye and MLK.
This is my experience. Don't hire anyone from Facebook or other social media ads. They scammed my friends, used AI in pics saying things were done. NOPE never touched or super wrong. One crew painted the house last year. Never covered neighbors cars with plastic, and coated the cars with overspray. Another guy stole the water meter for scrap metal. Finding guys that wanted to work with me was very hard. A Lot of guys say they know how to do things but they didn't or just wanted to waste time and grab some money. Put cameras up! I installed Starlink on all the roof and cameras inside and outside. And installed Wifi locks. The city is another problem. They are slow to help out when you have to go to the building dept or they will tell you the world and never help out on their end. If you try to call the city building dept for questions or issues. They will not call you back. I spent 5 weeks trying to kick off and cancel the old contractors from the permit from one house. And had to spend another day at the building dept to get that handled because they didn't do it the first time I was there and sat down with them. During those 5 weeks I was calling every 2 days leaving voice mail asking what is going on. As for any one you hire, ask for Insurance info and call the Insurance company. Scams are going around with fake Insurance now or not enough Insurance.
When I was up there I lived on site to keep working long hours and make sure no one was going to break in with the equipment and tools I had there. I been going back and forth flying there recently to look at different projects and trying to get in with the Cleveland Land Bank for buying some of their lots. Land Bank has put a hold on trying to buy single lots right now. But if your looking to buy 20 plus lots they will talk to you. My wife and I also have a non profit in helping Organ Transplant patients with temp rental housing after Transplant. And had few talks with the Land Bank and Cleveland Clinic about where we like to try to pursue buying lots to build rentals. We got to sit down back in June and saw the future map for Cleveland Clinic development on the East. And wow there is alot of things going to happen in the next 5 to 10 years. But you have to get boots on the ground to understand which areas are going to be money makers. I seen alot of wholesellers and realtors just unloading houses because areas will never come back for over 10 to 20 years, if that.
Real Estate Agent · San Luis Obispo · Member since 2024 · 8 posts · 11 votes
1mo
@Jay Long Jay thank you for your knowledge and sharing it with us. I really appreciate your insight. I would love to connect because I couldn't use all the help I could get with local knowledge
Your welcome to anyone that got some useful knowledge out of what I posted. Any more insight just dm me. I do a have project manager that works in Cleveland but lives outside in Akron. So he sees other invest Opps outside Cleveland area.
I been trying to find a modular builder in Ohio but no luck. One company just said they are going to build a factory to do modular homes in Cleveland and got tax incentives from the city. But I did some research on the company from when they tried to do the same thing in a different state/city, things dont seem kosher with the company. And they don't answer emails or phone calls. Its almost like a ghost company.
Investor · Pacific Northwest · Member since 2026 · 538 posts · 306 votes
1mo
I’d actually reverse the order of what you’re doing here.
I don’t think your biggest risk is finding a realtor, contractor, property manager, or even capital. It’s deciding that the price-to-rent ratio makes a rough Cleveland neighborhood attractive before proving that the rent is actually collectible and the property is economically operable.
A $90k house renting for $1,300 can look incredible from California. But the ratio tells you almost nothing about tenant turnover, delinquency, vacancy between tenants, make-ready costs, maintenance frequency, insurance, taxes, code issues, lead compliance, management quality, or what it actually costs to get that $1,300 twelve times a year.
That’s where I’d start.
Pick the exact neighborhood—and really the exact blocks—you want to own in. Then underwrite several properties as though you already own them. I’d want actual collections rather than advertised rents, realistic turnover and maintenance, tax and insurance quotes, inspection/code history, and a downside case where the property is vacant and needs work at the worst possible time.
Then build the team around the market you’ve proven you want to own.
The other thing I’d be careful about is building a California investor base too early. If the underlying economics are excellent, capital is usually the easier problem. A great local operating system with mediocre economics doesn’t fix the deal.
There may absolutely be an opportunity in Cleveland. I just wouldn’t let the price-to-rent ratio be the reason you believe there is one.
Real Estate Agent · San Luis Obispo · Member since 2024 · 8 posts · 11 votes
1mo
@Michael Eskenasy thank you for your advice ! All very true risks. I've mostly been looking at numbers , so meeting people who are boots in the ground has been so helpful. Looking at some deals with an unbelievable return on paper, raises my eyebrows .
to be fair in my underwriting, I try to be extremely conservative, with rents , turnover , cap ex, ect. But it's truly hard to underwrite buying in a war zone .
Lender · Florida · Member since 2025 · 687 posts · 246 votes
1mo
Hi @Kyle Reis, welxome to BP! Great strategy, especially if your goal is to build a repeatable out-of-state investment model rather than just buy a single property.
Cleveland can offer opportunities where the purchase price, rental income, and potential value-add strategy can create a very different set of numbers than what you’re seeing in California. The key, as you mentioned, is having the right boots-on-the-ground team to help you evaluate the property, manage the renovation, and execute the exit strategy.
I work with real estate investors on the financing side and would be happy to connect. We provide investor-focused financing for Fix & Flip, Bridge, DSCR Rental, New Construction, and Commercial Real Estate projects.
For someone looking to build a Cleveland investment team, I’d recommend getting your realtor, contractor, property manager, and lender communicating early. That way you can analyze the purchase price, rehab budget, ARV, rental income, and financing together before you make an offer.
And if you’re bringing California investors into Cleveland, having a financing partner who can help structure the deal remotely can make the process much easier.
If you’d like to connect, feel free to DM me. I’d be happy to learn more about what you're looking to acquire and see if we can help with the capital side.
Build the local team. Find the right deals. Structure the financing. Scale the portfolio
Real Estate Agent · San Luis Obispo · Member since 2024 · 8 posts · 11 votes
1mo
@J Castro hello thank you so much for reaching out. I do have a few lenders in Ohio who seem awesome but I'm always open to meeting new amazing people. We should hop on a phone call sometime and we can talk about what I'm looking to do looking to learn a lot more about the local area
@J Castro hello thank you so much for reaching out. I do have a few lenders in Ohio who seem awesome but I'm always open to meeting new amazing people. We should hop on a phone call sometime and we can talk about what I'm looking to do looking to learn a lot more about the local area
Shoot me a DM and i'll give you my email and let's grab sometime. I also want to send you something, so shoot me over any information you don't mind if i real ahead of time. Better conversation if i am prepared
Thats the website from the Cleveland Land Bank if anyone wants to go down that rabbit hole.
Also look into the grants and programs they have for mostly homeowners but also investors that are going to rent out to low income tenets with childern under 10 years can apply. So the programs did stop after April 15th. And they are working off a waitlist now because funding ran out and getting more funding slowly.
Some grant programs were for roofs getting replaced at with no cost to the homeowner. Windows that had lead in them. And siding too. All the so called contractors guys my investor friends went thru last year (before I got involved) could of applied and gotten the siding and windows covered. I found out after I sat down with the city understanding how to navigate thru their systems and inspections. And could of saved about $18k. The local contractors/project managers will not let you know about this because it takes money off their books. Because the city has their on licensed vendors do the work.
Also if your going to rent the house out your going to have to register it with city hall. You can do it online or in person. It will be public record. So becareful what phone number you give them. Aka don't put your personal cell number on the form.
Also a few investors had me go over to look at Toledo too. I thought Cleveland was so much better for everything. Downtown Cleveland was very active, Professional Sports teams in Cleveland (minus the new football stadium going to be built outside the city on the Westside by the Airport.) Alot of Healthcare workers, and also the colleges. Then the investments Bedrock and Cleveland Clinic have started or planning.
Developer · San Antonio · Member since 2016 · 157 posts · 85 votes
1mo
Hello Kyle! Not exactly stated in who you are specifically looking for, but I'm a Civil Engineer licensed in Ohio. I live out of state now, but I lived my first 23 years of life in Cleveland and went to college there, and family in Cleveland every year still, so I have strong personal connection, which is why I have my license to practice engineering in Ohio.
I would not be much assistance on your single-family home purchases, but any aspect of development (platting, zoning, surveys, entitlements, full permits/civil design, etc)., I can assist with. Even if you just need an opinion from a civil engineer's perspective, just shoot me a message.
Good afternoon as a lender who does nothing but DSCR, FIX N FLIP, FIX N HOLD, FIX N RENT, HARD MONEY LOANS as well as GROUND UP CONSTRUCITON loans, throughout the country i will tell you my experience with the OH market is not most favorabale and let me expalin to you why.
When you take out a purchase/rehab loan with the intention of flipping or holding and you are looking at the typical property values that are the norm in say the Cleveland market, the main problem that we as lender is teofold.
1) This is the biggest problem, the initial sales price of the deal, especially if you are buying a property as is and in the condition it is in. Generally these are going to be properties that are well below $100K and once you do the rehab and you want and or need either a cash-out loan or a straight DSCR (RENTAL INCOME) loan, you are going to be limited to a private lender for the purchase rehab loan or a semi hard money private lender that will do the initial loan, whereby the terms are pretty beneficial for the initial loan, but when the time comes to the exit strategy for the property, here is where the biggest issue occurs.
As an example take the following UW (underwriting) guidelines form a well know private lender we work with in FL that does nationwide lending:
$5MM MAX LOAN AMOUNT
1-4 UNITS (5 UNITS AND ABOVE CASE BY CASE)
UP TO 95% LTC, (LOAN TO COST) AND 75% LTARV, (LOAN TO AS REPAIRED VALUE)
UP TO 24 MONTHS FROM PURCHASE TO COMLETE THE REHAB) = 6 MONTHS EXTENSIONS AVIALABLE AT A COST OF USUALLY 1% PER EXTENSION
They can also do ground up construction, and bridge loans as well.
The issue is finding lenders that will do permanent take out for the loan via any NON_QM mortgage, with a loan amount that is either below $125K or below $100K.
I can do loans all day long via a DSCR refinance of a new purchase/rehab with a near call date, but I am limited to 1 or maybe 2 investors that will buy this loan product under $125K and below $100K it is almost impossible to find investors who are willing to do these small loan amounts with 30 year financing. And if they are wiling to do them you will charged several points for this privilege.
2) The second issue is buying properties that have been converted, had add-ons or been rehabbed without the City of Cleveland's Department of Building and Housing inspections and approval of the work to be done via permits for the proposed work.
If this is not done, forget getting an OC, and therefore forget being able to lease out the properties as you will never get an OC (occupancy certificate).
Last thing I will say is be very, very cautious, of anything that sounds to good to be true, it that's the case run, don't walk away form the property and or agent, investor or seller of the property.
Cleveland is cheap but rough. Realtor: True Realty or Keller Williams. Contractor: ask local landlords. PM: CRM or Cleveland Property Management. Partner with CA investors. Have a reserve fund.
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
1mo
Quote from @Kyle Reis:
Hey guys, I am looking to buy my first property myself in Cleveland, Ohio looking at the price to rent ratio I know I am buying in a rough area, but I like the long-term upside. I'm looking to get connected with an amazing realtor, Contractor and property management team. I would appreciate any insight and any recommendations you guys have.
If you guys would like to collaborate on a deal, please let me know. Could also use help with capital to make things happen sooner , and to gain more experience.
I'm a real estate agent in California who's been in the industry for over three years but in California the amount of Needed is too high and the margins are not high enough. I am looking to grow a team of people boots on the ground and then find a bunch of California people who want to invest and out of state markets, especially Cleveland, Ohio
Welcome to the community, Kyle! Since you’re buying your first out-of-state property, I’d put just as much weight on the quality of your boots-on-the-ground team as the price-to-rent ratio. In rougher areas, a deal can look great on paper but get eaten up by turnover, maintenance, vacancy, or management issues, so I’d have a property manager review the property and realistic rent before you buy, get a thorough inspection, and have a contractor give you actual rehab numbers rather than relying on estimates. Since you’re already an agent, you’ll probably pick up the process quickly, but managing remotely is a different skill set. If you’re still comparing Ohio markets, Columbus may also be worth researching. I moved here from Portland in 2020 to invest and have built a portfolio of 10+ rentals, and I’ve liked the combination of rental demand, job and population growth, and relatively attainable price points. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!
Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
1mo
Before even building a team, out of state investors should 1st check out The Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods. It should help you learn the lay of the land as you start discussing details of the city with potential team members.
Real Estate Agent · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 19 votes
1mo
Kyle, Cleveland can offer compelling opportunities, but the market is very block-by-block. Understanding the neighborhood, realistic renovation costs, and rental demand is essential before buying. Building strong local relationships first is a smart approach. Happy to connect and compare notes as you explore the market.
Kyle, I’m an investor myself and also work in commercial lending with The Fiirm. I’m always looking to connect with other investors and real estate professionals putting deals together in Ohio. Depending on what you end up buying, I may also be able to help on the financing side. Definitely open to connecting and seeing where we may be able to help each other.