Is retaliation likely after complaining about section 8 neighbor?

Is retaliation likely after complaining about section 8 neighbor?

Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Neighbors hate them, we've all called the city and police repeatedly. Police say they are on their radar. I went out and talked to the landlord when she was there recently and some guests of the tenant happened to arrive at that time and they heard what was going on and gave me the evil eye in an attempt to intimidate me as they left when the landlord told them to leave. 

I asked the guy what he was looking at, if he was trying to intimidate me, and he said "I'll look at you if I want homeboy!". I could already tell this guy was an ex con (presumed) from his demeanor in the car before that. 

I do have an alarm system and cameras but my gf is now worried about retaliation. In hindsight it would have been better to work through the city as we are now afraid of retaliation. That said, I had a far worse incident with a similar neighbor before in a different house and they ended up getting busted with a stolen car courtesy of my 911 call. They knew it was me, always gave me the stink eye, but I just held eye contact and they never did anything, eventually got kicked out by the landlord and had trashed the house. They were the reason I got cameras and an alarm system though just in case they did try something.

We were debating moving in 7 months anyways, but may accelerate that time line. We can either move in a month into another house I own and sell this at a bad time of the year with it sitting empty (higher risk of vandalism while sitting empty) OR I can list it in February and close escrow by April when we originally thought about moving. 

What say ye? Move now or in 7 months? Personally I don't think they will do anything and neither does the landlord or my friends. I'm not a sheepish person, I have a combative personality and surely they realize ANY attack on my house or family will receive a response. 

Oh, and I do have the license plate and description of the vehicle and the driver on video and he realizes that...Police told me 9 times out of 10 these people don't do anything because they don't want to go to jail/back to jail.

0Reply
181 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
7y
Originally posted by @Jack B.:

Neighbors hate them, we've all called the city and police repeatedly. Police say they are on their radar. I went out and talked to the landlord when she was there recently and some guests of the tenant happened to arrive at that time and they heard what was going on and gave me the evil eye in an attempt to intimidate me as they left when the landlord told them to leave. 

I asked the guy what he was looking at, if he was trying to intimidate me, and he said "I'll look at you if I want homeboy!". I could already tell this guy was an ex con (presumed) from his demeanor in the car before that. 

I do have an alarm system and cameras but my gf is now worried about retaliation. In hindsight it would have been better to work through the city as we are now afraid of retaliation. That said, I had a far worse incident with a similar neighbor before in a different house and they ended up getting busted with a stolen car courtesy of my 911 call. They knew it was me, always gave me the stink eye, but I just held eye contact and they never did anything, eventually got kicked out by the landlord and had trashed the house. They were the reason I got cameras and an alarm system though just in case they did try something.

We were debating moving in 7 months anyways, but may accelerate that time line. We can either move in a month into another house I own and sell this at a bad time of the year with it sitting empty (higher risk of vandalism while sitting empty) OR I can list it in February and close escrow by April when we originally thought about moving. 

What say ye? Move now or in 7 months? Personally I don't think they will do anything and neither does the landlord or my friends. I'm not a sheepish person, I have a combative personality and surely they realize ANY attack on my house or family will receive a response. 

Oh, and I do have the license plate and description of the vehicle and the driver on video and he realizes that...Police told me 9 times out of 10 these people don't do anything because they don't want to go to jail/back to jail.

 I think you're too nosy and or aggressive to live in close proximity to anybody. Buy a few acres somewhere. Problem solved.

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    Keep in mind landlords get shot by tenants and tenants friends.. it happens.. if it was me I would exit.. I cant see a nice area in Seattle being subject to vandalism and theft like rental areas of other parts of the country.. but if your worried just put a house sitter in there for super cheap rent.. or free. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    Keep in mind landlords get shot by tenants and tenants friends.. it happens.. if it was me I would exit.. I cant see a nice area in Seattle being subject to vandalism and theft like rental areas of other parts of the country.. but if your worried just put a house sitter in there for super cheap rent.. or free. 

    Seattle has one of the highest crime rates in the country, it's actually safer in LA than here by a HUGE margin based on the crime index. I've had issues with bad tenants who I thought would come and vandalize the place after moving out or even years later, but they didn't. And like I said I got one neighbor thug family's son busted for a stolen car and although the liked to give me the evil eye when I saw them in the alley they never touched my house. And I imagine most of the landlords that get shot are in the midwest not here.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    There was a nice father of 5 shot and killed 6 months ago in Utah by the tenants boy friend.. 

    if the crime is that bad were U live I would be moving too.. not worth it or any place honestly were houses are such that a section 8 tenant is renting it.. those are rental areas not what I personally consider a place to actually live in an owner occ situation.. I would do what your doing and move for sure.. no question. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    There was a nice father of 5 shot and killed 6 months ago in Utah by the tenants boy friend.. 

    if the crime is that bad were U live I would be moving too.. not worth it or any place honestly were houses are such that a section 8 tenant is renting it.. those are rental areas not what I personally consider a place to actually live in an owner occ situation.. I would do what your doing and move for sure.. no question. 

     Jay you are making a lot of assumptions. I lived in a million dollar neighborhood. They had section 8 tenants. Section 8 doesn't work the way you think it does. You have section 8 people in your neighborhood I promise you. I was shocked too when I found out. They are everywhere. And you might be surprised about the amount of vandalism and crime in high end neighborhoods. Several houses on the block were burglarized. One guys truck had cans of paint thrown all over it by presumably some kids in the neighborhood. You're making it sound like I live in Compton. I don't...It's a good neighborhood with ONE bad renter thanks to the political agenda of our government. They started moving section 8 out of the ghetto's and spreading them in affluent neighborhoods almost a decade ago. Look it up. Also, it is illegal to discriminate against section 8 people here and in Bellevue. Try finding a nice house for less than 1 mil in Bellevue...yet there are section 8 neighbors I promise you.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jack B.:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    There was a nice father of 5 shot and killed 6 months ago in Utah by the tenants boy friend.. 

    if the crime is that bad were U live I would be moving too.. not worth it or any place honestly were houses are such that a section 8 tenant is renting it.. those are rental areas not what I personally consider a place to actually live in an owner occ situation.. I would do what your doing and move for sure.. no question. 

     Jay you are making a lot of assumptions. I lived in a million dollar neighborhood. They had section 8 tenants. Section 8 doesn't work the way you think it does. You have section 8 people in your neighborhood I promise you. I was shocked too when I found out. They are everywhere. And you might be surprised about the amount of vandalism and crime in high end neighborhoods. Several houses on the block were burglarized. One guys truck had cans of paint thrown all over it by presumably some kids in the neighborhood. You're making it sound like I live in Compton. I don't...It's a good neighborhood with ONE bad renter thanks to the political agenda of our government. They started moving section 8 out of the ghetto's and spreading them in affluent neighborhoods almost a decade ago. Look it up.

    wow.. time to move.. for sure then.. back to your point of staring down the x felon I would hold back on that move unless your armed like they are.. your description to me sounded like some nehiborhoods in Tacoma I made loans on .. and ended up foreclosing on very rough for sure... what is the section 8 payments on those houses. million dollar homes usually command 4 to 6k a month in those areas is hud paying that amount ??? I know in many areas though of the mid west HUD Is higher than market rate for sure I get that..

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Jack B.:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    There was a nice father of 5 shot and killed 6 months ago in Utah by the tenants boy friend.. 

    if the crime is that bad were U live I would be moving too.. not worth it or any place honestly were houses are such that a section 8 tenant is renting it.. those are rental areas not what I personally consider a place to actually live in an owner occ situation.. I would do what your doing and move for sure.. no question. 

     Jay you are making a lot of assumptions. I lived in a million dollar neighborhood. They had section 8 tenants. Section 8 doesn't work the way you think it does. You have section 8 people in your neighborhood I promise you. I was shocked too when I found out. They are everywhere. And you might be surprised about the amount of vandalism and crime in high end neighborhoods. Several houses on the block were burglarized. One guys truck had cans of paint thrown all over it by presumably some kids in the neighborhood. You're making it sound like I live in Compton. I don't...It's a good neighborhood with ONE bad renter thanks to the political agenda of our government. They started moving section 8 out of the ghetto's and spreading them in affluent neighborhoods almost a decade ago. Look it up.

    wow.. time to move.. for sure then.. back to your point of staring down the x felon I would hold back on that move unless your armed like they are.. your description to me sounded like some nehiborhoods in Tacoma I made loans on .. and ended up foreclosing on very rough for sure... what is the section 8 payments on those houses. million dollar homes usually command 4 to 6k a month in those areas is hud paying that amount ??? I know in many areas though of the mid west HUD Is higher than market rate for sure I get that..

    Actually the rents for the houses in my neighborhood of high end houses was 2,700 to 3,000, less than the mortgage amounts. That's why  high end homes make terrible rentals. A million dollar house here is not a big deal, half the houses here cost nearly a million. This isn't Ohio...


    Yeah, Tacoma is pretty bad but still not East LA. I lived in East Tacoma before and have seen the violence with my own eyes. A Latino "family" that was really a bunch of gang bangers had their door kicked in and a guy dragged out and beaten baaaad in the driveway. I had just come home maybe 2 hours prior and noticed the same guy standing in the front with a bunch of other guys spread out like they were waiting for something to pop off. According to neighbors this was not their first time either.

    I also saw two people have a knife fight in the street there. Shootings are a daily occurrence there. Not in this neighborhood. It's safe to walk your dog. It's just this one bad section 8 tenant and a ghetto landlord that is part of the problem. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Oh, by the way, I was subjected to more crime when I lived near the waterfront of University Place, that's a nice area. Truck broken into, shoes stolen off porch, license plates stolen, catalytic converter stolen. People shot at bars and in apartment complexes. Yeah you won't find people drinking 40 oz malt liquor in the street in most Bellevue neighborhoods, but you don't in my neighborhood either. We have one bad neighbor who is section 8 with a crummy PM and a lazy mayor and lazy code enforcement.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jack B.:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Jack B.:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    There was a nice father of 5 shot and killed 6 months ago in Utah by the tenants boy friend.. 

    if the crime is that bad were U live I would be moving too.. not worth it or any place honestly were houses are such that a section 8 tenant is renting it.. those are rental areas not what I personally consider a place to actually live in an owner occ situation.. I would do what your doing and move for sure.. no question. 

     Jay you are making a lot of assumptions. I lived in a million dollar neighborhood. They had section 8 tenants. Section 8 doesn't work the way you think it does. You have section 8 people in your neighborhood I promise you. I was shocked too when I found out. They are everywhere. And you might be surprised about the amount of vandalism and crime in high end neighborhoods. Several houses on the block were burglarized. One guys truck had cans of paint thrown all over it by presumably some kids in the neighborhood. You're making it sound like I live in Compton. I don't...It's a good neighborhood with ONE bad renter thanks to the political agenda of our government. They started moving section 8 out of the ghetto's and spreading them in affluent neighborhoods almost a decade ago. Look it up.

    wow.. time to move.. for sure then.. back to your point of staring down the x felon I would hold back on that move unless your armed like they are.. your description to me sounded like some nehiborhoods in Tacoma I made loans on .. and ended up foreclosing on very rough for sure... what is the section 8 payments on those houses. million dollar homes usually command 4 to 6k a month in those areas is hud paying that amount ??? I know in many areas though of the mid west HUD Is higher than market rate for sure I get that..

    Actually the rents for the houses in my neighborhood of high end houses was 2,700 to 3,000, less than the mortgage amounts. That's why  high end homes make terrible rentals. A million dollar house here is not a big deal, half the houses here cost nearly a million. This isn't Ohio...


    Yeah, Tacoma is pretty bad but still not East LA. I lived in East Tacoma before and have seen the violence with my own eyes. A Latino "family" that was really a bunch of gang bangers had their door kicked in and a guy dragged out and beaten baaaad in the driveway. I had just come home maybe 2 hours prior and noticed the same guy standing in the front with a bunch of other guys spread out like they were waiting for something to pop off. According to neighbors this was not their first time either.

    I also saw two people have a knife fight in the street there. Shootings are a daily occurrence there. Not in this neighborhood. It's safe to walk your dog. It's just this one bad section 8 tenant and a ghetto landlord that is part of the problem. 

    well back to the house sitter.. move out if rent is 3k a month get someone in for 1k a month as a house sitter. 

    no place is immune that's for sure..  our place in Summerlin is in a gated community and much of Vegas can be as rough as anywhere I would not live in that area in a non gated community that's for sure..  here In Lake Oswego so far so good.. and we do have a few renters and of course older owners that are either hoarders or just don't do much for their properties. not quite as high as Seattle lots are only 300k but lots of infill happening any bad house gets torn down and a 900 to 1.5 replaces it.. I have built a hand full of them..   I thought you were considering Vegas at one time. ? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Again, Jay, you make a lot of assumptions. As I said, section 8 started moving into affluent neighborhoods a long time ago. It's not just in the ghetto. You have section 8 near you I  promise you. I was surprised when I found out there was section 8 in expensive neighborhoods here...



    https://slate.com/business/2016/06/a-new-section-8-policy-will-help-poor-families-move-into-better-neighborhoods.html



    https://nypost.com/2016/05/08/obamas-last-act-is-to-force-suburbs-to-be-less-white-and-less-wealthy/

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Jack B.:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Jack B.:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    There was a nice father of 5 shot and killed 6 months ago in Utah by the tenants boy friend.. 

    if the crime is that bad were U live I would be moving too.. not worth it or any place honestly were houses are such that a section 8 tenant is renting it.. those are rental areas not what I personally consider a place to actually live in an owner occ situation.. I would do what your doing and move for sure.. no question. 

     Jay you are making a lot of assumptions. I lived in a million dollar neighborhood. They had section 8 tenants. Section 8 doesn't work the way you think it does. You have section 8 people in your neighborhood I promise you. I was shocked too when I found out. They are everywhere. And you might be surprised about the amount of vandalism and crime in high end neighborhoods. Several houses on the block were burglarized. One guys truck had cans of paint thrown all over it by presumably some kids in the neighborhood. You're making it sound like I live in Compton. I don't...It's a good neighborhood with ONE bad renter thanks to the political agenda of our government. They started moving section 8 out of the ghetto's and spreading them in affluent neighborhoods almost a decade ago. Look it up.

    wow.. time to move.. for sure then.. back to your point of staring down the x felon I would hold back on that move unless your armed like they are.. your description to me sounded like some nehiborhoods in Tacoma I made loans on .. and ended up foreclosing on very rough for sure... what is the section 8 payments on those houses. million dollar homes usually command 4 to 6k a month in those areas is hud paying that amount ??? I know in many areas though of the mid west HUD Is higher than market rate for sure I get that..

    Actually the rents for the houses in my neighborhood of high end houses was 2,700 to 3,000, less than the mortgage amounts. That's why  high end homes make terrible rentals. A million dollar house here is not a big deal, half the houses here cost nearly a million. This isn't Ohio...


    Yeah, Tacoma is pretty bad but still not East LA. I lived in East Tacoma before and have seen the violence with my own eyes. A Latino "family" that was really a bunch of gang bangers had their door kicked in and a guy dragged out and beaten baaaad in the driveway. I had just come home maybe 2 hours prior and noticed the same guy standing in the front with a bunch of other guys spread out like they were waiting for something to pop off. According to neighbors this was not their first time either.

    I also saw two people have a knife fight in the street there. Shootings are a daily occurrence there. Not in this neighborhood. It's safe to walk your dog. It's just this one bad section 8 tenant and a ghetto landlord that is part of the problem. 

    well back to the house sitter.. move out if rent is 3k a month get someone in for 1k a month as a house sitter. 

    no place is immune that's for sure..  our place in Summerlin is in a gated community and much of Vegas can be as rough as anywhere I would not live in that area in a non gated community that's for sure..  here In Lake Oswego so far so good.. and we do have a few renters and of course older owners that are either hoarders or just don't do much for their properties. not quite as high as Seattle lots are only 300k but lots of infill happening any bad house gets torn down and a 900 to 1.5 replaces it.. I have built a hand full of them..   I thought you were considering Vegas at one time. ? 

    A house sitter isn't that great, I'm not worried about them doing something to us, I'm scary and combative. These people are cowards, worst case scenario they try to vandalize or burglarize my house. I have cameras and an alarm system and my doors are fortified. And yes I'm capable of protecting myself...that's all I'll say.

    I was considering Vegas and still am but the timing is not right for me to move. And after a recent visit to Hawaii, Florida is back on the table as I love the tropical weather but don't want to live in Hawaii. Florida is a better tech job market and has cheap housing and nice weather, beaches, etc. Though I hear it's turning into a cesspool just like Vegas. 

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y

    Interesting that rents are ao weak there. Those rents you are getting are what I get on my very middle of the road $400k homes. $1 million here is going to rent for about $5k here. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jack B.:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Jack B.:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Jack B.:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    There was a nice father of 5 shot and killed 6 months ago in Utah by the tenants boy friend.. 

    if the crime is that bad were U live I would be moving too.. not worth it or any place honestly were houses are such that a section 8 tenant is renting it.. those are rental areas not what I personally consider a place to actually live in an owner occ situation.. I would do what your doing and move for sure.. no question. 

     Jay you are making a lot of assumptions. I lived in a million dollar neighborhood. They had section 8 tenants. Section 8 doesn't work the way you think it does. You have section 8 people in your neighborhood I promise you. I was shocked too when I found out. They are everywhere. And you might be surprised about the amount of vandalism and crime in high end neighborhoods. Several houses on the block were burglarized. One guys truck had cans of paint thrown all over it by presumably some kids in the neighborhood. You're making it sound like I live in Compton. I don't...It's a good neighborhood with ONE bad renter thanks to the political agenda of our government. They started moving section 8 out of the ghetto's and spreading them in affluent neighborhoods almost a decade ago. Look it up.

    wow.. time to move.. for sure then.. back to your point of staring down the x felon I would hold back on that move unless your armed like they are.. your description to me sounded like some nehiborhoods in Tacoma I made loans on .. and ended up foreclosing on very rough for sure... what is the section 8 payments on those houses. million dollar homes usually command 4 to 6k a month in those areas is hud paying that amount ??? I know in many areas though of the mid west HUD Is higher than market rate for sure I get that..

    Actually the rents for the houses in my neighborhood of high end houses was 2,700 to 3,000, less than the mortgage amounts. That's why  high end homes make terrible rentals. A million dollar house here is not a big deal, half the houses here cost nearly a million. This isn't Ohio...


    Yeah, Tacoma is pretty bad but still not East LA. I lived in East Tacoma before and have seen the violence with my own eyes. A Latino "family" that was really a bunch of gang bangers had their door kicked in and a guy dragged out and beaten baaaad in the driveway. I had just come home maybe 2 hours prior and noticed the same guy standing in the front with a bunch of other guys spread out like they were waiting for something to pop off. According to neighbors this was not their first time either.

    I also saw two people have a knife fight in the street there. Shootings are a daily occurrence there. Not in this neighborhood. It's safe to walk your dog. It's just this one bad section 8 tenant and a ghetto landlord that is part of the problem. 

    well back to the house sitter.. move out if rent is 3k a month get someone in for 1k a month as a house sitter. 

    no place is immune that's for sure..  our place in Summerlin is in a gated community and much of Vegas can be as rough as anywhere I would not live in that area in a non gated community that's for sure..  here In Lake Oswego so far so good.. and we do have a few renters and of course older owners that are either hoarders or just don't do much for their properties. not quite as high as Seattle lots are only 300k but lots of infill happening any bad house gets torn down and a 900 to 1.5 replaces it.. I have built a hand full of them..   I thought you were considering Vegas at one time. ? 

    A house sitter isn't that great, I'm not worried about them doing something to us, I'm scary and combative. These people are cowards, worst case scenario they try to vandalize or burglarize my house. I have cameras and an alarm system and my doors are fortified. And yes I'm capable of protecting myself...that's all I'll say.

    I was considering Vegas and still am but the timing is not right for me to move. And after a recent visit to Hawaii, Florida is back on the table as I love the tropical weather but don't want to live in Hawaii. Florida is a better tech job market and has cheap housing and nice weather, beaches, etc. Though I hear it's turning into a cesspool just like Vegas. 

    Vegas at least parts has always been a cesspool.. I don't care for Florida personally at all.. too hot and humid for year round living and too flat to many bugs etc.. we do a lot of work in Charleston SC I love that city and we are starting up in Charlotte as well.. the east side of the mountains look pretty cool in the Carolinas Asheville Greenville etc.. have not spent time there..  But Charleston in the million dollar plus price range gets U in some nice inner city areas.. and crime while it happens everywhere there is some pretty robust police presence there. 

    And while I have spent LOTS of time in Honolulu and Maui  ( my parents live on Maui for years) I get island bound everything is a 5 hour or more flight so that would not do it for me either.. 

    No place is perfect.. when I lived in the Napa valley I used to think that was the best place in the world to live and basically in the 90s it was for me but now the traffic is horrendous so would not go back..  Summer in British Columbia and winter in the desert seems to be my ticket.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jack B.:

    Neighbors hate them, we've all called the city and police repeatedly. Police say they are on their radar. I went out and talked to the landlord when she was there recently and some guests of the tenant happened to arrive at that time and they heard what was going on and gave me the evil eye in an attempt to intimidate me as they left when the landlord told them to leave. 

    I asked the guy what he was looking at, if he was trying to intimidate me, and he said "I'll look at you if I want homeboy!". I could already tell this guy was an ex con (presumed) from his demeanor in the car before that. 

    I do have an alarm system and cameras but my gf is now worried about retaliation. In hindsight it would have been better to work through the city as we are now afraid of retaliation. That said, I had a far worse incident with a similar neighbor before in a different house and they ended up getting busted with a stolen car courtesy of my 911 call. They knew it was me, always gave me the stink eye, but I just held eye contact and they never did anything, eventually got kicked out by the landlord and had trashed the house. They were the reason I got cameras and an alarm system though just in case they did try something.

    We were debating moving in 7 months anyways, but may accelerate that time line. We can either move in a month into another house I own and sell this at a bad time of the year with it sitting empty (higher risk of vandalism while sitting empty) OR I can list it in February and close escrow by April when we originally thought about moving. 

    What say ye? Move now or in 7 months? Personally I don't think they will do anything and neither does the landlord or my friends. I'm not a sheepish person, I have a combative personality and surely they realize ANY attack on my house or family will receive a response. 

    Oh, and I do have the license plate and description of the vehicle and the driver on video and he realizes that...Police told me 9 times out of 10 these people don't do anything because they don't want to go to jail/back to jail.

     I think you're too nosy and or aggressive to live in close proximity to anybody. Buy a few acres somewhere. Problem solved.

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Jack B.:

    Neighbors hate them, we've all called the city and police repeatedly. Police say they are on their radar. I went out and talked to the landlord when she was there recently and some guests of the tenant happened to arrive at that time and they heard what was going on and gave me the evil eye in an attempt to intimidate me as they left when the landlord told them to leave. 

    I asked the guy what he was looking at, if he was trying to intimidate me, and he said "I'll look at you if I want homeboy!". I could already tell this guy was an ex con (presumed) from his demeanor in the car before that. 

    I do have an alarm system and cameras but my gf is now worried about retaliation. In hindsight it would have been better to work through the city as we are now afraid of retaliation. That said, I had a far worse incident with a similar neighbor before in a different house and they ended up getting busted with a stolen car courtesy of my 911 call. They knew it was me, always gave me the stink eye, but I just held eye contact and they never did anything, eventually got kicked out by the landlord and had trashed the house. They were the reason I got cameras and an alarm system though just in case they did try something.

    We were debating moving in 7 months anyways, but may accelerate that time line. We can either move in a month into another house I own and sell this at a bad time of the year with it sitting empty (higher risk of vandalism while sitting empty) OR I can list it in February and close escrow by April when we originally thought about moving. 

    What say ye? Move now or in 7 months? Personally I don't think they will do anything and neither does the landlord or my friends. I'm not a sheepish person, I have a combative personality and surely they realize ANY attack on my house or family will receive a response. 

    Oh, and I do have the license plate and description of the vehicle and the driver on video and he realizes that...Police told me 9 times out of 10 these people don't do anything because they don't want to go to jail/back to jail.

     I think you're too nosy and or aggressive to live in close proximity to anybody. Buy a few acres somewhere. Problem solved.

     Says the person who has little clue what they are talking about and immediately insults me. Your post has been reported to the moderators. Educate yourself. ALL of my neighbors have an issue with this tenant. I have an MBA, two jobs totalling 300K a year and am a self made millionaire. Yet you claim section 8 tenants are great and I'm too nosy and aggressive. You are something special mentally...

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    @Jack B.

    “I’m not a sheepish person and have a combative personality “

    Sure doesn’t sound like it hearing you grovel and moan about some guy who looked at you funny and so now your scared like a little school girl . Geez You can’t spend your whole life in fear son , sometimes you need to man up and not be cowardly ! Listen to the advise from these guys and stop arguing and bragging about your income .if your a self made superstar why don’t you just move and buy a mansion in some other town that’s safer . What do want us to do for you ? Go over there and beat the guy up who looked at you wrong ? Come on bro these fellas are trying to help you

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jack B.:
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Jack B.:

    Neighbors hate them, we've all called the city and police repeatedly. Police say they are on their radar. I went out and talked to the landlord when she was there recently and some guests of the tenant happened to arrive at that time and they heard what was going on and gave me the evil eye in an attempt to intimidate me as they left when the landlord told them to leave. 

    I asked the guy what he was looking at, if he was trying to intimidate me, and he said "I'll look at you if I want homeboy!". I could already tell this guy was an ex con (presumed) from his demeanor in the car before that. 

    I do have an alarm system and cameras but my gf is now worried about retaliation. In hindsight it would have been better to work through the city as we are now afraid of retaliation. That said, I had a far worse incident with a similar neighbor before in a different house and they ended up getting busted with a stolen car courtesy of my 911 call. They knew it was me, always gave me the stink eye, but I just held eye contact and they never did anything, eventually got kicked out by the landlord and had trashed the house. They were the reason I got cameras and an alarm system though just in case they did try something.

    We were debating moving in 7 months anyways, but may accelerate that time line. We can either move in a month into another house I own and sell this at a bad time of the year with it sitting empty (higher risk of vandalism while sitting empty) OR I can list it in February and close escrow by April when we originally thought about moving. 

    What say ye? Move now or in 7 months? Personally I don't think they will do anything and neither does the landlord or my friends. I'm not a sheepish person, I have a combative personality and surely they realize ANY attack on my house or family will receive a response. 

    Oh, and I do have the license plate and description of the vehicle and the driver on video and he realizes that...Police told me 9 times out of 10 these people don't do anything because they don't want to go to jail/back to jail.

     I think you're too nosy and or aggressive to live in close proximity to anybody. Buy a few acres somewhere. Problem solved.

     Says the person who has little clue what they are talking about and immediately insults me. Your post has been reported to the moderators. Educate yourself. ALL of my neighbors have an issue with this tenant. I have an MBA, two jobs totalling 300K a year and am a self made millionaire. Yet you claim section 8 tenants are great and I'm too nosy and aggressive. You are something special mentally...

    I didn't claim anything about section 8 tenants one way or the other. Your income and MBA also have nothing to do with my point. The fact that you felt the need to bring up your MBA and your income leads me to believe my original assessment was right on the money. I believe that your problems with your neighbors have to do with your aggressive behavior. If you didn't want to get unbiased opinions on the topic based upon the facts that you presented I am unsure why you created the post in the 1st place. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 439 posts · 578 votes
    7y

    @Dennis M.

    @James Wise

    Was wondering when someone was gonna say it....

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Tanner Marsey:

    @Dennis M.

    @James Wise

    Was wondering when someone was gonna say it....

     Yea......Strange thread.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    @Jack B.  Put your house on the market now, but stay in it until closing.  The market now vs Feb won't be much different.  If you waited until May, that's when the markets there pick up.

  • Real Estate Investor · West Linn, OR · Member since 2017 · 134 posts · 62 votes
    7y

    I mean it seems pretty obvious that you might be part of the problem here. I work with "rough" section 8 people quite a bit and have never had any issue. As someone who seems to take pride in describing them self as combative and aggressive, maybe you should find a less people intensive side hustle? I mean you feel the need to prove your "tougher" then the ex con living next door...why? Who cares?

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    7y

    @Jack B. I have no doubts that some of these section 8 tenants have caused trouble and your displeasure is warranted. In fact I have no reason to doubt any of your claims. 

    That being said, your response to these situations is very intense and that will have the effect of escalating. If you are concerned about retaliation, don't get into stare down contests with people. Don't say "what you looking at" to someone. Look at people in a friendly manner, make appropriate eye contact and move along. Exerting your dominance over others is not going to create less conflict in your life.

    Even just responding to people in this thread, the tone came off very aggressive. You put Jay in his place three times and reported James to the moderators. You probably don't know you are doing it. My guess is you are a major type A personality, which can be helpful when driving to success, but also can land you in trouble. 

    There is so many tragic stories of rage escalating and ending in someone hurt or killed. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Joe Splitrock a recent story I read about someone escalating a situation was when a guy in Florida got into an argument with someone over a handicapped parking spot (they were parked illegally in it). The guy who was illegally parked, pushed him to the ground and then the other guy shot him.

    So to recap: one guy dead, the other guy spending 15 years in prison for manslaughter over a parking spot.

    Pick your battles wisely. This doesn’t seem like a wise battle to me honestly

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock:

    @Jack B. I have no doubts that some of these section 8 tenants have caused trouble and your displeasure is warranted. In fact I have no reason to doubt any of your claims. 

    That being said, your response to these situations is very intense and that will have the effect of escalating. If you are concerned about retaliation, don't get into stare down contests with people. Don't say "what you looking at" to someone. Look at people in a friendly manner, make appropriate eye contact and move along. Exerting your dominance over others is not going to create less conflict in your life.

    Even just responding to people in this thread, the tone came off very aggressive. You put Jay in his place three times and reported James to the moderators. You probably don't know you are doing it. My guess is you are a major type A personality, which can be helpful when driving to success, but also can land you in trouble. 

    There is so many tragic stories of rage escalating and ending in someone hurt or killed. 

     I did a show on Landlords and Tenants who killed each other. You'd be surprised how many stories are out there where the Landlord killed the tenant and vice versa...Crazy stuff ya'll.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Caleb Heimsoth:

    @Joe Splitrock a recent story I read about someone escalating a situation was when a guy in Florida got into an argument with someone over a handicapped parking spot (they were parked illegally in it). The guy who was illegally parked, pushed him to the ground and then the other guy shot him.

    So to recap: one guy dead, the other guy spending 15 years in prison for manslaughter over a parking spot.

    Pick your battles wisely. This doesn’t seem like a wise battle to me honestly

    Juice not worth the squeeze on that one.

  • Member since 2018 · 563 posts · 562 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jack B.:
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Jack B.:

    Neighbors hate them, we've all called the city and police repeatedly. Police say they are on their radar. I went out and talked to the landlord when she was there recently and some guests of the tenant happened to arrive at that time and they heard what was going on and gave me the evil eye in an attempt to intimidate me as they left when the landlord told them to leave. 

    I asked the guy what he was looking at, if he was trying to intimidate me, and he said "I'll look at you if I want homeboy!". I could already tell this guy was an ex con (presumed) from his demeanor in the car before that. 

    I do have an alarm system and cameras but my gf is now worried about retaliation. In hindsight it would have been better to work through the city as we are now afraid of retaliation. That said, I had a far worse incident with a similar neighbor before in a different house and they ended up getting busted with a stolen car courtesy of my 911 call. They knew it was me, always gave me the stink eye, but I just held eye contact and they never did anything, eventually got kicked out by the landlord and had trashed the house. They were the reason I got cameras and an alarm system though just in case they did try something.

    We were debating moving in 7 months anyways, but may accelerate that time line. We can either move in a month into another house I own and sell this at a bad time of the year with it sitting empty (higher risk of vandalism while sitting empty) OR I can list it in February and close escrow by April when we originally thought about moving. 

    What say ye? Move now or in 7 months? Personally I don't think they will do anything and neither does the landlord or my friends. I'm not a sheepish person, I have a combative personality and surely they realize ANY attack on my house or family will receive a response. 

    Oh, and I do have the license plate and description of the vehicle and the driver on video and he realizes that...Police told me 9 times out of 10 these people don't do anything because they don't want to go to jail/back to jail.

     I think you're too nosy and or aggressive to live in close proximity to anybody. Buy a few acres somewhere. Problem solved.

     Says the person who has little clue what they are talking about and immediately insults me. Your post has been reported to the moderators. Educate yourself. ALL of my neighbors have an issue with this tenant. I have an MBA, two jobs totalling 300K a year and am a self made millionaire. Yet you claim section 8 tenants are great and I'm too nosy and aggressive. You are something special mentally...

     Hey Jack,

    I would respond the same way in that scenario with the convict. I grew up around gangs and bullies, so, I know that sometimes you must growl like a ferocious sheep-dog(and be ready to bite) to scare off the wolves.

    BUT, i have been the victim of two arson attacks at two different residences(stemmed from my confrontational nature, even though I was morally in the right), I have several friends/acquaintances that have been murdered by opposing gangs of their friends or relatives, even though they themselves were not gangsters. Your enemy knows where you live and could very easily kill you and your family in your sleep with about 2-3 gallons of diesel and a match, and he may not care about being caught on camera or going back to prison.

    My point is only that, our actions have consequences! I dare not assume anything about you. I only know what you confess about being a confrontational person and having an ex-con/bully neighbor and  I relate with that.

    It's a tough situation, no doubt...but, please don't dismiss the other responses because of their judgement or wording, they mostly make total sense and are offering you the path of least resistance and highest probability of safety and success in the long term.

    I'm not saying give up your warrior spirit, just reminding you that in war, warriors die and more often, innocent civilians(like your family). I'm saying all this to you, but really just trying to remind myself that, even though I have become skilled at totally avoiding situations that cause confrontations, and if I still find myself there: in the moment just before a confrontation i have an opportunity to just let it go, deescalate, disengage and that making that choice could save my life and/or my loved ones, and at the very least, reduce my overall stress.

    Not sure if this helps anyone else, but, it is very therapeutic for me.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.