Skip to content
1031 Exchanges

User Stats

Votes
Jack B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
Is retaliation likely after complaining about section 8 neighbor?

Jack B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Posted Aug 26 2019, 15:09

Neighbors hate them, we've all called the city and police repeatedly. Police say they are on their radar. I went out and talked to the landlord when she was there recently and some guests of the tenant happened to arrive at that time and they heard what was going on and gave me the evil eye in an attempt to intimidate me as they left when the landlord told them to leave. 

I asked the guy what he was looking at, if he was trying to intimidate me, and he said "I'll look at you if I want homeboy!". I could already tell this guy was an ex con (presumed) from his demeanor in the car before that. 

I do have an alarm system and cameras but my gf is now worried about retaliation. In hindsight it would have been better to work through the city as we are now afraid of retaliation. That said, I had a far worse incident with a similar neighbor before in a different house and they ended up getting busted with a stolen car courtesy of my 911 call. They knew it was me, always gave me the stink eye, but I just held eye contact and they never did anything, eventually got kicked out by the landlord and had trashed the house. They were the reason I got cameras and an alarm system though just in case they did try something.

We were debating moving in 7 months anyways, but may accelerate that time line. We can either move in a month into another house I own and sell this at a bad time of the year with it sitting empty (higher risk of vandalism while sitting empty) OR I can list it in February and close escrow by April when we originally thought about moving. 

What say ye? Move now or in 7 months? Personally I don't think they will do anything and neither does the landlord or my friends. I'm not a sheepish person, I have a combative personality and surely they realize ANY attack on my house or family will receive a response. 

Oh, and I do have the license plate and description of the vehicle and the driver on video and he realizes that...Police told me 9 times out of 10 these people don't do anything because they don't want to go to jail/back to jail.

Loading replies...