Looking for 1031 Exchange Intermediaries

15 Replies

Hi BP!

I am looking for qualified intermediaries to perform a 1031 Exchange for a property that I own in Oklahoma City. Are there any intermediaries that you have worked with in the past that you would recommend? How was your overall experience? Anything I should know about this intermediary specifically?

Please feel free to comment on this post or DM me directly!

I used Janna at First American Exchange for a 1031 three years ago in Florida, and we're using her company again for our current exchange. She's very knowledgeable, professional and helpful, always available to answer questions. I'll send you her contact info.

Originally posted by @Samir Patel :

Hi BP!

I am looking for qualified intermediaries to perform a 1031 Exchange for a property that I own in Oklahoma City. Are there any intermediaries that you have worked with in the past that you would recommend? How was your overall experience? Anything I should know about this intermediary specifically?

I'm interested to hear how this process goes for you! I only own one property in OKC right now, but I plan to buy many more, and I imagine I'll need to do a 1031 exchange eventually. 

Originally posted by @Aly W. :

I used Janna at First American Exchange for a 1031 three years ago in Florida, and we're using her company again for our current exchange. She's very knowledgeable, professional and helpful, always available to answer questions. I'll send you her contact info. 

Awesome will check them out. Thanks for the recommendation Aly!

Originally posted by @Iven Stevenson :

@Samir Patel i would suggest joining OKC REI investment group on FB. I've seen this question come up several times.

Got it, will join the group on FB and see what others have already posted about this. Thanks!

Originally posted by @Douglas Spence :
Originally posted by @Samir Patel:

Hi BP!

I'm interested to hear how this process goes for you! I only own one property in OKC right now, but I plan to buy many more, and I imagine I'll need to do a 1031 exchange eventually. 

Nice! Sent you a request to connect. Will be sure to update you as I get further along in the process.

@Samir Patel , Some good suggestions made already.  Just a note that the location of your intermediary isn't very important.  Even the recommendation of First American isn't truly a local company.  Most title companies have what we would call a "captive"QI that is a large national QI firm.  When you work with them your experience will be limited to the quality of the sales rep assigned to you.  So that's really who you're vetting.  And demonstrated experience and "clicking" with you are going to be much more important than their location.  So that personal connection is critical.

Originally posted by @Dave Foster :

@Samir Patel, Some good suggestions made already.  Just a note that the location of your intermediary isn't very important.  Even the recommendation of First American isn't truly a local company.  Most title companies have what we would call a "captive"QI that is a large national QI firm.  When you work with them your experience will be limited to the quality of the sales rep assigned to you.  So that's really who you're vetting.  And demonstrated experience and "clicking" with you are going to be much more important than their location.  So that personal connection is critical.

Hi Dave, thanks for your insight! My understanding is that this would be similar to the concept of working with a lender that does business in another state but is able to originate loans many states. Is that correct?

Originally posted by @Dario Cruz :

@Samir Patel Hi Samir, I have a family member that had a good experience working with Bill Horan at Realty Exchange Corporation. Hopes this helps!

Regards,

Darío

Hi Dario,

Awesome I'll definitely check out Realty Exchange Corporation. Thanks for the tip!

@Samir Patel , That's a pretty good comparison. Since 1031 is a federal statute it is practiced the same in all states.  So any QI with capacity can work in all states.  Sometimes there are some state nuances like CA's clawback and PA not recognizing 1031 at the state level.  And that's when it helps if the QI has the breadth of experience to be able to handle any state nuance.

Originally posted by @Dave Foster :

@Samir Patel, That's a pretty good comparison. Since 1031 is a federal statute it is practiced the same in all states.  So any QI with capacity can work in all states.  Sometimes there are some state nuances like CA's clawback and PA not recognizing 1031 at the state level.  And that's when it helps if the QI has the breadth of experience to be able to handle any state nuance.

Oh interesting, I was not aware of these subtle nuances between states. Will definitely follow up over DM. Thanks!

I'm so thankful we have Dave's wisdom here!  I hopped on to add some value and illuminate that location is unimportant and Dave made it so much clearer than I ever could have!  Nice work, Dave!

Hey @Samir Patel , whatcha selling in my hood?  I'm buying :) 

Originally posted by @Will Fraser :

I'm so thankful we have Dave's wisdom here!  I hopped on to add some value and illuminate that location is unimportant and Dave made it so much clearer than I ever could have!  Nice work, Dave!

Hey @Samir Patel, whatcha selling in my hood?  I'm buying :) 

Hi Will, looking to sell a SFH that is in the Moore, OK area. Will DM you with some additional info!