Skip to content
Goals, Business Plans & Entities

User Stats

Votes
Kahil Ortiz
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Hello BP! Wholesaler vs Brokers License??

Kahil Ortiz
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Jan 21 2015, 16:57

Hello BP!! I've been a member on BiggerPockets for a few months now mostly absorbing information as I'm sure everyone does when first signing up here. I'm 26 years old Chicagoan, and have been fond of real estate and the idea of one day owning a lucrative portfolio since a literal child.

I've been simultaneously studying heavy while operating actively as a real estate investor/wholesaler ( i figured i needed to jump in and get active rather than being stuck in analysis). It has taught me alot in so little amount of time, and made me alot more street smart, rather than only being book smart. However, now after much contemplation and speaking to my uncle who is very Successful in RE, i am considering getting my Brokers License as a way to Upgrade my game. Now mind you my goal is to be able on Investor side of things, not be a traditional Broker. However as a Beginner, i'm considering the brokers license and experience of getting out there and closing deals would help me to be successful in the RE world, possibly more so than being a wholesaler. Wholesalers also seem to have a rep for being a bit "sketchy" which i don't like, though i know thats not always the case. But RE is what i want to Master, and my Business must be Professional. I realize being a Broker is not the only way to get your foot in the door or to be an Investor, but as a beginner( with no cash reserves) i cannot think of many more options. Is getting my license the right thing to do? What other options is there for a beginner to get involved?

If any of you started as a Licensed agent or Broker and used this to grow as an Investor or grow your RE business please share your story! its much appreciated from a young RE student as myself. Thanks you and apologies for being long winded.

Loading replies...