Use my home address on my buisness cards??

Use my home address on my buisness cards??

Meriden, CT · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 9 votes

Hey guys I'm a newbie looking to get some business cards. Should I use my personal address or get a PO Box address first??

0Reply
63 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
11y

Home address is a bad idea IMO. If you have a company name, DBA, you can use that, use a phone number and your name. If someone doesn't have a company, I've seen and had business cards with just a (my) name and phone number.

Why? If I hand someone a card they all ready know who I am, what I do and I can jot down other information if needed.

I can give someone my name and number for various things, a house, an office building, any business aspect, to some real looker at the club or some guy selling a bull dozer, its handy.

If someone gets ticked off, I don't want them driving by my house egging the place! I also don't want them to know which house to rob. Home and business are two different things. :)

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    11y

    Home address is a bad idea IMO. If you have a company name, DBA, you can use that, use a phone number and your name. If someone doesn't have a company, I've seen and had business cards with just a (my) name and phone number.

    Why? If I hand someone a card they all ready know who I am, what I do and I can jot down other information if needed.

    I can give someone my name and number for various things, a house, an office building, any business aspect, to some real looker at the club or some guy selling a bull dozer, its handy.

    If someone gets ticked off, I don't want them driving by my house egging the place! I also don't want them to know which house to rob. Home and business are two different things. :)

  • Developer · Austin, TX · Member since 2010 · 371 posts · 284 votes
    11y

    I don't even have an address on my business cards.  I hate paper, so I always push for an electronic version of anything that would need to go to a physical address.  Email and cell# are plenty for your business card.

  • Investor · Marysville, WA · Member since 2014 · 146 posts · 62 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Bill Gulley:

    Home address is a bad idea IMO. If you have a company name, DBA, you can use that, use a phone number and your name. If someone doesn't have a company, I've seen and had business cards with just a (my) name and phone number.

    Why? If I hand someone a card they all ready know who I am, what I do and I can jot down other information if needed.

    I can give someone my name and number for various things, a house, an office building, any business aspect, to some real looker at the club or some guy selling a bull dozer, its handy.

    If someone gets ticked off, I don't want them driving by my house egging the place! I also don't want them to know which house to rob. Home and business are two different things. :)

    You don't want you personal address on ANYTHING!  Remember:  God is great, beer is good and people are CRAZY!

    I don't think an address is necessary on a business card.  If you want an address to use for your business, get a mailbox at the UPS store or Mailboxes Etc.  Those both have physical addresses and looks more legit than a POB.

  • Real Estate Investor · Milford, PA · Member since 2014 · 395 posts · 299 votes
    11y

    @Terrell Way I agree with Bill. Home and business are two different things. Though right now you will be working from home. I would either leave it off or use a P.O box. But I would not use my Home Address.  

    With that being said I personally would use the P.O Box. A card with no address to says your not serious about your endeavor. I always found it strange when I saw a card with no or limited contact information.           

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    11y

    Successful business people may simply have their name on it, then write the number they want to give you.

    That says, here you can call me.

    It says, if you don't know why you have my card, I don't want to talk to you.

    Don't mail crap to me.

    My business is run from the library in my home.

    No, you can't drop by.

    It says, I have enough business interests that I don't need to solicit with cards.

    It clearly says, I'm not out to impress you with titles in companies with empty bank accounts.

    So, it can say more than you might think. :) 

  • Meriden, CT · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    thanks guys for the advice.. 

  • Investor · Chelsea, MI · Member since 2013 · 350 posts · 138 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Aaron Ramm:
    Originally posted by @Bill Gulley:

    Home address is a bad idea IMO. If you have a company name, DBA, you can use that, use a phone number and your name. If someone doesn't have a company, I've seen and had business cards with just a (my) name and phone number.

    Why? If I hand someone a card they all ready know who I am, what I do and I can jot down other information if needed.

    I can give someone my name and number for various things, a house, an office building, any business aspect, to some real looker at the club or some guy selling a bull dozer, its handy.

    If someone gets ticked off, I don't want them driving by my house egging the place! I also don't want them to know which house to rob. Home and business are two different things. :)

    You don't want you personal address on ANYTHING!  Remember:  God is great, beer is good and people are CRAZY!

    I don't think an address is necessary on a business card.  If you want an address to use for your business, get a mailbox at the UPS store or Mailboxes Etc.  Those both have physical addresses and looks more legit than a POB.

     Just to add more here, many post offices are offering the same type of services that previously only UPS Store etc offered.  I just got a PO Box, for WAY cheaper than a UPS store box, that allows me to use the address of of the post office followed by #350 and they also claim they'll be able to text or email me when I have mail.  I'm not too confident about the 2nd one, but the street addressing feature was the only reason I would have considered the much more expensive UPS store box.  Check with you local post office.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2014 · 171 posts · 116 votes
    11y

    I dont use business cards... "do you have a card" is a great way for someone to ask you to go away without seeming rude. When I go to an REI meeting I will hand out gift cards, discount cards, I bought 1,000 paint brushes and wrote my youtube url on them to hand out... Right now they are in the display window of a commercial building I am renovating.

    Creativity is king in this business!  I have generated more business from duct tape on my truck than I have ever gotten from a business card...  

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    NEVER have home address on business cards.  Always have your business address, whether a PO Box, private mail box or an office address, always have your phone number, email address, fax number, website, and every other way to get in touch with you.

    Believe it or not there are some people that don't have email, so don't just have your email address, have ALL ways to get in touch with you.  I've had people (sellers) contact me 5 years after the initial contact, often times an heir of a recently departed.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.