Use my home address on my buisness cards??

9 Replies

Hey guys I'm a newbie looking to get some business cards. Should I use my personal address or get a PO Box address first??

Home address is a bad idea IMO. If you have a company name, DBA, you can use that, use a phone number and your name. If someone doesn't have a company, I've seen and had business cards with just a (my) name and phone number.

Why? If I hand someone a card they all ready know who I am, what I do and I can jot down other information if needed.

I can give someone my name and number for various things, a house, an office building, any business aspect, to some real looker at the club or some guy selling a bull dozer, its handy.

If someone gets ticked off, I don't want them driving by my house egging the place! I also don't want them to know which house to rob. Home and business are two different things. :)

I don't even have an address on my business cards.  I hate paper, so I always push for an electronic version of anything that would need to go to a physical address.  Email and cell# are plenty for your business card.

Originally posted by @Bill Gulley :

Home address is a bad idea IMO. If you have a company name, DBA, you can use that, use a phone number and your name. If someone doesn't have a company, I've seen and had business cards with just a (my) name and phone number.

Why? If I hand someone a card they all ready know who I am, what I do and I can jot down other information if needed.

I can give someone my name and number for various things, a house, an office building, any business aspect, to some real looker at the club or some guy selling a bull dozer, its handy.

If someone gets ticked off, I don't want them driving by my house egging the place! I also don't want them to know which house to rob. Home and business are two different things. :)

You don't want you personal address on ANYTHING!  Remember:  God is great, beer is good and people are CRAZY!

I don't think an address is necessary on a business card.  If you want an address to use for your business, get a mailbox at the UPS store or Mailboxes Etc.  Those both have physical addresses and looks more legit than a POB.

@Terrell Way I agree with Bill. Home and business are two different things. Though right now you will be working from home. I would either leave it off or use a P.O box. But I would not use my Home Address.  

With that being said I personally would use the P.O Box. A card with no address to says your not serious about your endeavor. I always found it strange when I saw a card with no or limited contact information.           

Successful business people may simply have their name on it, then write the number they want to give you.

That says, here you can call me.

It says, if you don't know why you have my card, I don't want to talk to you.

Don't mail crap to me.

My business is run from the library in my home.

No, you can't drop by.

It says, I have enough business interests that I don't need to solicit with cards.

It clearly says, I'm not out to impress you with titles in companies with empty bank accounts.

So, it can say more than you might think. :) 

thanks guys for the advice.. 

Originally posted by @Aaron Ramm :
Originally posted by @Bill G.:

You don't want you personal address on ANYTHING!  Remember:  God is great, beer is good and people are CRAZY!

I don't think an address is necessary on a business card.  If you want an address to use for your business, get a mailbox at the UPS store or Mailboxes Etc.  Those both have physical addresses and looks more legit than a POB.

Just to add more here, many post offices are offering the same type of services that previously only UPS Store etc offered.  I just got a PO Box, for WAY cheaper than a UPS store box, that allows me to use the address of of the post office followed by #350 and they also claim they'll be able to text or email me when I have mail.  I'm not too confident about the 2nd one, but the street addressing feature was the only reason I would have considered the much more expensive UPS store box.  Check with you local post office.

I dont use business cards... "do you have a card" is a great way for someone to ask you to go away without seeming rude. When I go to an REI meeting I will hand out gift cards, discount cards, I bought 1,000 paint brushes and wrote my youtube url on them to hand out... Right now they are in the display window of a commercial building I am renovating.

Creativity is king in this business!  I have generated more business from duct tape on my truck than I have ever gotten from a business card...  

NEVER have home address on business cards.  Always have your business address, whether a PO Box, private mail box or an office address, always have your phone number, email address, fax number, website, and every other way to get in touch with you.

Believe it or not there are some people that don't have email, so don't just have your email address, have ALL ways to get in touch with you.  I've had people (sellers) contact me 5 years after the initial contact, often times an heir of a recently departed.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.