North jersey

3 Replies

I have been approved for a mortgage and have been looking for duplexes in Northern Jersey. My search started off by looking in Elizabeth to Jersey City and has me looking very hard at a property in Newark. I have been searching in the sections of University
Heights and Roseville in Newark. Can someone point me in the direction of the proper analysis for a owner occupied duplex. Since this will be my first property I would like the experience of managing the property if anyone has some tips let me know than

This post has been removed.

@J.R. Hanberry

Which areas of Jersey City are you looking at. You might want to avoid certain pockets like Greenville and West Bergen. Some areas in Jersey City look very promising, however prices are going higher very quickly too.

I just bought a place in greenville that I occupy.  It's a duplex.  As with any neighborhood there are some places that you will want to avoid, and because you are going to live in the place your tolerance with the neighborhood will weigh heavily on your decision.

What is your budget, and criteria?  That will help narrow your search to specific neighborhoods.  I love JC and I think that the development from downtown will continue to move away from the water.  When? I don't know but long term I would SPECULATE that more people working in the city will move into the area.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you