Best way to transfer over to LLC

2 Replies

I have a partnership I want to transfer into an LLC. Can I just transfer the Partnership to the LLC and keep the partnership alive, or do I have to transfer the partnership percentages to the LLC. i.e.- the ABC LLC would own the ABC Partnership, or does it have to be that ABC LLC has a 50% owner in Jane and a 50% owner in Bob.

Thank you!

Jason, your response hardly answers this question. We all know that competant professionals should be consulted on legal and tax matters as they pertain to our businesses, however, there are many RE investing experts here on BP who could give immediate answers to questions such as this. If you do not have one, simply move on to a question you can answer.

To answer the question, if your partnership is under a DBA rather than a business entity, and you want to create an LLC, you will need to form the LLC (preferably in the state you do business in) and each partner (BOB & JANE) would own respective %'s of the LLC. The DBA would be closed. If you intend on keeping the same business name, you do need to run a search to check availablity of that name in an entity. If it is already taken, you will have to choose another name in most cases.

And of course, consult with your attorney to properly structure the entity and perhaps create it.

Good luck.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here