In order to register an LLC in Michigan, a local registered agent is required. I would appreciate receiving recommendations for such agents that are highly professional, reliable and reasonably priced. I was thinking of InCorp Services, since they offer the first year for free and then $99 for each one after that. However, I read a great deal of mixed reviews. Some were good and others were horrible, hence I am reluctant to use them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I registered mine via online.
You can be your own agent.
The LLC process in Michigan is pretty straightforward, but not that well communicated via the State of Michigan website.
While I am not a laywer, and this is not legal advice (etc etc), this is what I do to file all of my LLCs.
Here are the steps:
1. Fill out an MICH-ELF Application. [http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/bcsc/forms/corp/llc/90...
After you fill this out, you will get a fax back from the State of Michigan with a specific ELF # for you. That ELF # is tied to the payment information you share on this application, so they know how to get their money when you actually file your LLC. You need this first to actually file your LLC. Send this form in first before doing any of the next steps.
2. Fax/Send in the MICH-ELF Application.
3. Fill out the actual LLC paperwork. [http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/bcsc/forms/corp/llc/70...
Note when filling this form out, which type of service of processing you'd like to select, and remember that $ amount because you will need it for the next form.
4. Fill out the MICH-ELF Cover Sheet.[http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/bcsc/forms/corp/elf/90...
On this document, in the upper right hand corner is the spot for your MICH ELF # you need to get from submitting document #1 above. Be sure to include the $ charge of the service processing you want on the front of this form.
5. Fax/Send the combined documents from 3 & 4.
If you have never done it before it seems really complicated and hard to figure out (from the website) but it is actually pretty straightforward.
I hope this helps you in filing your Michigan LLC paperwork.
I second @Dan Gheesling approach. It is very easy.
Thank you @Dan Gheesling for proving the step-by-step instructions for getting this done without the need for using any external services. I really appreciate it.
A couple of questions regarding how to fill out these forms:
1. When sending form CSCL/CD-700 (ARTICLES OF ORGANIZATION) if I am filling it out myself (no external prepared), will I be sending only page #1 or must I send all pages?
2. In form CSCL/CD-900 (MICH-ELF COVER SHEET), wherever the term "document(s)" is used, is that referring to form CSCL/CD-700 (ARTICLES OF ORGANIZATION), i.e. ID is: CSCL/CD-700, title is: ARTICLES OF ORGANIZATION, Number of pages in document(s) is: 1 (based on my previous question)?
3. In form CSCL/CD-900 (MICH-ELF COVER SHEET), I understand that the "Expected fee" field, must contain the $ amount for the type of service of processing requested, i.e. if standard processing is selected, $50 would be the amount used. What would be the number to write in the "Approved up to" field? Should it be the same?
4. If the filing is done by an out of state person, I understated that a Michigan registered agent is required. Can you (or anyone else in the BP forum) recommend one?
Thank you once again,
1. Pretty sure you send all of them.
2. It's referring to your actual LLC forms.
4. Sorry, I have never had to use one myself!
Best of luck,
Hi Dan, can you comment how long the LLC takes to be in effect once we have Michigan-ELF? It talks about a 24-hr expedited with 50$ only, does it mean we can use the LLC after 24 hr. to say close on a house?
There is a step by step video on YouTube. Just search "creating an LLC in Michigan". I followed it and have created two LLC's so far.
The state only charges $50 to create / register the LLC. And the annual State of Michigan License fee is $25.
I used Inchfile. It's 50$ on top of 50$ state fees. So far experience is good but I haven't yet received my papers yet.. They provide free agent for first year but following link is also free for first year
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you
Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community
Basic membership is free, forever.