Switching Career Path to Real Estate - HELP!

8 Replies

Hi BP! 

I am currently a Business Analyst for the Healthcare industry here in Orlando, Fl. I have been captivated doing research on becoming a Real Estate investor, actively participating in BP, going to seminars and networking events soon to come. With that being said.. Reality kicks in Monday at 6am when I wake up for the gym.. then work by 8. The worst part is that I have to do that FIVE DAYS out of my week. I landed the job because it was something I am good at - just not passionate about.

I am looking to find a Real Estate focused Career. I want to completely surround myself with people who are as motivated and driven as I am for passive income. 

Can anyone give me any advice where I can go to find a well-paying salary based position in the real estate Market?

Hi Stephaine, 

Congratulations, on creating a goal and I am in same boat that I want to leave my job in 5 years. I am new to real estate since Jan. 2015, one thing I can say is taking action and pushing through all the possibly deals till you find the one that works as far numbers is the most difficult part. 

What type of position you looking for? 

Originally posted by @Fasil Khan :

Hi Stephaine, 

Congratulations, on creating a goal and I am in same boat that I want to leave my job in 5 years. I am new to real estate since Jan. 2015, one thing I can say is taking action and pushing through all the possibly deals till you find the one that works as far numbers is the most difficult part. 

What type of position you looking for? 

I love that the 5 year goal is not far fetched in this industry. I told my coworker that last week and she snickered to herself. I smirked and said, just wait. 

What kind of position am I looking for? I would love to continue to utilize my skills as a Business Analyst, but at this point - anything to get my foot in the door, and out of healthcare.

Welcome Stephanie, RE is really a feast and famine industry in the marketing arena, salaries can be had in management, but that isn't going to be a well paid job at an entry level. Management can also be as boring and frustrating at a desk as any other job, honestly. The fun is on the streets working with people, cutting a deal.

Corporate real estate management, like the RE department for Wal-Mart might be an option, but the good jobs require college and experience, otherwise it's simply clerical.

Don't forget to look at government, the largest RE owner in the country must have management too.

Don't quit your day job, but might go to school for agents, learn the basics first, then begin looking at how to move RE. Good luck :)   

Hey Stephanie, good for you to make a decision like that. 

Many investors continue to work at their W2 jobs until there is enough income to get out of that horrible world. If you are already working at a steady job that hopefully pays well, I would say keep it, and work on saving as much as possible, and learning as much as possible, until you can do your first investment deal. 

I used to dread coming to my W2, but nowadays I come with an air of excitement because I know its a temporary thing which will ultimately help me get where I want to go.

One more thing - I have stopped sharing my aspirations with people who are not entrepreneur-minded. You cannot blame them, but the only way they know to live is "working for the man" and waiting for Friday to come. Hearing the snickers and negative feedback from these people will eventually start to eat away at you, and you will start to doubt yourself. So in your heart, KNOW that you are doing the RIGHT thing, and they are doing the LEFT thing (not wrong, but not right for us). 

With such people, discuss the weather, or some other interest you may share in life.   

Good luck in your REI career...it should start today!

If you are looking for salaried, look into becoming an appraiser.  Just food for thought.

I had somewhat of a similar situation where I needed to work but I was not sure what I should do. I was in school studying business management when I heard a radio announcement that offered 2 free tickets to the next Flip This House seminar. Granted, it was all an "up-sell" but it got me motivated. I found a good mentor and this person said that I should get my license if I am really serious about doing this. 

I do not boast about money but I have to say that I wish I would have just taken the plunge earlier! I made more money in one month last month than I have ever seen at one time! I have seen thousands before but tens of thousands? All because I am really active, I take chances, and I just do not give up. Now, this month has been really rough so you need to know that it can be "feast or famine" so plan accordingly. 

Having a real estate license has really opened doors for me that I have never thought possible. Plus, when you are to the point where you want to invest you get MLS access to not only comps but you get immediate access to the properties. I get to just schedule showings for myself whenever I want now. The hours are not always the best, but the rewards can be great:) You can do anything you put your mind to...I did!

I like the way Bill, put it :"feast or famine" and that is true with entrepreneursip.how about real estate at the side(active) while keeping a well paying job?

Getting licensed while keeping the other job at first would be the best route.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.