Register as Foreign Entity?

3 Replies

Ok so I am looking to purchase property out of state. Currently I live in Texas but would like to open an LLC and purchase property in VA. How does this work? With my other two companies I have a series series set up in Texas and is the member of a LLC in another state. However in VA I need a registered agent that resides in VA in order to register the LLC there. For my other companies this wasn't a problem as one of my partners is located in the state that has the subordinate LLC.

Suggestions on how to go about doing this?

Take a look at Inccorp they can cover you as a registered agent for a nominal fee.

There are services out there that specialize in acting as registered agent. I use CSC for Delaware, not sure if they operate in VA but you might google them and check their website. You can google "registered agent Virginia" and find other companies. Perhaps someone on BP that operates in VA can also recommend a service.

You probably want to talk to your real estate attorney about this. This is a legal question and that's what he or she is there for.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.