USC's New Program: Bs RED

1 Reply

USC added a Bachelor of Science in Real Estate Development. It is the only school I could find that offers other undergraduate RED education (although in many articles it says it's the third to introduce it). Does anybody know any information about it? The admission rate for the specific program? Also, why is it in their school of public policy? Seems like it would be a better architecture or business fit. Would that be a good choice of major for that field or would economics or finance or something be better? Thanks!

I am going to give my favourite lawyer answer.  It depends. 

The real question number one is what is your passion? If your 100% committed to development  it wouldn't hurt.  However if your not sure yet the economics with heavy finance will give you a broader skillset especially if you go heavy on the quant. (prob stats/econometrics).

The real question is what type of development?  Entrepreneurship or corporate first?  

If you want to go straight at entrepreneurship out of school than a bachelor's in RED would be handy in doing spec homes. It is very common for developers to snowball the homebuilding into larger deals latter. I would find a local experienced mentor and offer to apprentice for a while. I believe the University of Denver has an undergrad program not sure about others.

If you are looking for a corporate CRE gig think the MS RED at USC is likely bigger bang for the buck. Corporate CRE gigs can be very selective and the network of USC, if California is where you want to be, is tough to beat. Perhaps economics first then MS RED?

I would also take a look and the Urban Land Institue and NAIOP for networking opportunities.

I

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you