Getting in the door with a potential mentor

6 Replies

Hi Everyone,

I plan to reach out to my current landlord who owns several small apartment buildings in the Atlanta area to hopefully learn some insight into his career and how he got started in the business. I plan to offer to take him to coffee or lunch one afternoon at his convenience to learn about his career path and how he got started. I will also send a written thank you letter once we have met.

I am wondering what exactly should I mention in my email to try and guarantee that he will meet with me and if we do meet, what should I mention to try and create a potential mentor /mentee relationship. 

Experienced Investors: What do you like to hear from a beginner in the industry that is trying to get some time with you to learn about your story?

Thanks for any help,

Keaton

Hey Keaton, 

Try to find ways you could add value to his life. That would be #1. Other than that, if you are young and hungry and show that to him, he will be more likely to open up and want to help you. Try to find a way he could help you and get something out of it by you adding value to him while he sees his advice turn into your positive results.

@Keaton Roberson what aspect/field are you interested in? Do you want to learn how you find/buy properties? How to manage rentals? How to put deals together? How to renovate? Etc..

@Rob Beardsley is right the best way to get their attention is to be able to provide value in some way.

@Keaton Roberson I heard this on Rod Khleif's multifamily podcast I was listening to recently (wish I could remember which one specifically I was listening to) and thought it was awesome. The podcast guest said he always asks what he can do to earn the time of the person he wishes to speak to. I thought that was really cool and a good way to get your foot in the door with someone you wish to have lunch or coffee with. But like the previous posters have mentioned, actually be willing to follow up and earn their time if they ask.

@Ryan Horne I like that idea a lot. I'll definitely use that hopefully be able to be of some value to him like @Aaron Klatt and @Rob Beardsley said.

@Adam Abdel-Hafez My personal goal for my future is to one day own a pretty diversified portfolio of real estate from single family all the way to small apartment complexes. Really just trying to be of use where I can so someone in the industry now and learn how to get my feet wet with some guidance.

What ever you do don’t be an ask hole. And don’t say “hey let me know how I can help you”.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.