Working in construction and as an Agent?

4 Replies

Hello BP world

Im currently working construction and renovation. Working for an hourly pay of $18. I have learned a lot about the structural make up of a building which has been very useful. I do have long term goals of rehabbing and holding multifamily properties.

My hourly pay is just getting me by. I have been taking my agent licensing course and plan on working for a broker some time soon. As mentioned is Scott Trenches book “set for life”, he recommends taking a job which can potentially ear more (in my case it is real estate sales). I see being an agent as a way of accessing the MLS as well as leaning the ins and out of what it takes to purchase and sell homes.

The idea of switching from a steady hourly pay to commission is a bit scary. I can set it up where i’m able to work both construction and agent part time.

Once the spring/summer/fall season comes around here in upstate new york, the second home buyers market will be hot.

The potential to earn more cash is there with being an agent. The education is there with being an agent.

**Im wondering if a commissions based job will hurt my chances of receiving a loan in the future?

Unfortunately, yes. A lender will most likely want to see 2 years of full time employment and they'll average your commissions. I know because I almost hit a similar roadblock. Luckily before I went full time as a realtor, I made a point to get another mortgage when I was a full time contractor.

The nice thing about being an agent, though, is that you're able to start working on that career without having to leave another. Of course, the most successful agents are full-time and work insane hours. But you can definitely get your toes wet without leaving your job. I'm both a commercial and residential agent, and I work primarily with investors. I can only do showings after work hours when my husband is able to stay with my daughter, or I have to bring her with me (like I'm doing today). So my schedule is pretty limited, but most of the work I do is actually researching and phone calls, which I am perfectly able to do from home. You could absolutely swing both, and see what kind of potential for you there is as an agent. If you decide not to continue with it as a career, the cost of the class is still not time wasted; you'll be a ridiculously educated buyer, and can potentially have access to the MLS, like you said.

Stephanie Jacobson, Real Estate Agent in NY (#10401301213)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.