Looking for tips to make our first meet up group successful

2 Replies

Good evening Bigger Pockets.  I have started a local real estate investor group in my area and our first meet up will be in January.  I am looking for tips on ways to make this a successful event.    How do you get the word out about your event? Do you suggest give away's?  Ice breaker games? (which always seem so awkward!) I plan on speaking to all investors that I know and also all realtors, asking them to let their clients know.  What else would you suggest?

Thank you!

Congratulations on starting an investor group.

Personally, I would avoid ice breaker games.  I agree with you that they are awkward, and they could potentially turn people off from the group since they seem like a time killer.

I would personally structure it so that there is plenty of time for people to network before the meeting starts (having drinks around always helps), and during the meeting I would explain why you created the group and what your vision for it is.  People will either buy into your vision for it and become invested, or they won't (in which case they weren't the right people for you to be networking with).

In terms of promoting it, it sounds like you are doing the right things.  I would also make sure that you have it listed on your social media and through any local meetup websites you have access to.

@Kayla Stalley , congrats on starting a meetup.  I suggest holding it somewhere where you can socialize as well as meet.  Also, tagging local investors on BP is a great way to get the word out.  Have name tags, post on Meetup and have a plan for going forward.  Our group started 6 months ago and we continue to meet every other week!  Good Luck!  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.