How do I become a real estate appraiser

4 Replies

Hey Everyone, I am looking to become a real estate appraiser in the state of Arizona. I know that they are needed right now, and it seems like a great way to gain experience in a niche part of the industry. However, I’m struggling to understand how exactly it happens. Does anyone have experience becoming a real estate appraiser? Best, Matt Dickens

@Matt Dickens

Reach out to local appraisers. There might be some on BP.

Usually, you have to become an apprentice/trainee with a licensed appraiser. That can be difficult if they are spread thin and too busy. The time must be supervised and logged.

Then pass a 75 hour basic appraisal exam.

Then you can become a licensed appraiser and allowed to do basic appraisals.

Residential or commercial? I’m a fairly new real estate appraiser (<5 years) so if you want to PM me I’d be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

I would check with your state regulatory board to find out local requirements. Generally, to obtain a license, you have to complete approximately 150 hours of education and align yourself with a mentor for 2000 hours +/- during the trainee phase (in no fewer than 12 months). You can then take a state exam to become licensed. You need additional schooling and hours to become certified. Currently they require a bachelors degree to become certified, however I believe they are making some modifications to this requirement. The toughest hurdle for appraisal entry right now is finding a mentor. Before you dive in, I would suggest reaching out to some experienced appraisers in your area, perhaps find a company that utilizes trainees. Research your local appraisal association and attend a meeting. Or even go the commercial route and start as an analyst. Keep in mind that most banks will only hire certified residential and certified general appraisers to complete appraisal work. Feel free to PM with any questions and best of luck.

@Scott Anderson and @Hillary Gries thanks so much for the mentor suggestions. That also seemed like the greatest hurdle to me as I read through the different requirements on the state of Arizona's website. I will have to start reaching out to some folks!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.