Registered Agent when forming an LLC

8 Replies

For privacy, you name will still be listed in the member/manager section unless your LLC is in one of the anonymous state (WY, NV, NM...).

There are many registered agent company, and they almost all providing the same service. Some will also, for an additional cost, do remailing and let you use that address as principal office.

The average cost for a basic registered agent is usually between $45 and $100/year. Just shop around and look for the best price. I am not convinced that there is any difference in quality between providers for the basic service that they offer.

I wasted money on this "service" for years before officially changing it to myself. Whew!

Originally posted by @Max T. :

I wasted money on this "service" for years before officially changing it to myself. Whew!

If you are able to receive service at your address during business hours, 5 days a week then sure its cheaper. However, for most of us, we don't have staff manning the address and you definitely don't want to put your home address either for privacy and safety reasons..

Originally posted by @Mike S. :
Originally posted by @Max Tanenbaum:

If you are able to receive service at your address during business hours, 5 days a week then sure its cheaper. However, for most of us, we don't have staff manning the address and you definitely don't want to put your home address either for privacy and safety reasons..

I have a mailbox.

And I'm not scared of people knowing my address.

But to each his own...

Originally posted by @Max T. :
Originally posted by @Mike S.:
Originally posted by @Max Tanenbaum:

I have a mailbox.

And I'm not scared of people knowing my address.

But to each his own...

In most State a mailbox would not be enough as you need a person to receive service of legal documents..

Hi Kelly,

I would use the service offered through Corporate Direct, which is Garrett Sutton's company. He is part of Robert Kiyosaki's Rich Dad advisors group. The cost will be about $125/year. They have agents in all 50 States.

However, there are really only two States you should consider incorporating in - Nevada or Wyoming. So unless you live in either of these two States, you will be required to have a registered agent. These States have the best laws and corporate protections for business owners and real estate investors. And it's a simple process to request to do business in your State as an Out-of-State business.

I would also suggest you pick up a copy of Garrett's book: "How to Use LLC's and LP's" - it's awesome and breaks everything down for you. Here is a link: https://www.amazon.com/How-Limited-Liability-Compa...

Asset protection is such an important component of starting and running a business, especially one such as real estate investing. Not only for the liability issues and corporate protections, but for tax reasons as well. Although it may be a dry subject, it's well worth reading up on your options.

Hope this helps....

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you