Group Homes - How to get started?

5 Replies

Does anyone have experience with owning and operating group homes? 

I am interested in opening up a group home to serve adults with special needs, as I have two siblings who will eventually need this type of care. I'm located in Delaware, so I'd like the business to be based here as well. I am confident that the demand is there, many people wait years on waitlists to get into these types of establishments, and I would love to make a positive impact in the community in this way. I would love to hear from you and what your business strategy is like if you have this type of experience!

The first step I would take is making an appointment with the Small Business Administration office in your area and talking with them.  They will have software that will tell you what if any licences you need to get into this type of business and they may point you in the right direction for regulations as well.  Once you have the appropriate licences you can go from there.

Hi Kristin, I'm in the same situation. My MIL just passed away and my BIL has fragile X syndrome. We are looking for the best possible situation for my BIL and I can't think of a better solution than creating our own. Have you been able to find anything about this niche? I would love to hear from your experience. Good Luck! 

-Kristen 

@Kristen Twomey Hi! I can totally relate to your situation. I am planning on getting in touch with my state's Division of Developmental Services. Through my siblings I know that they deal a lot with group home placement and figured they would be the best starting point (we worked with someone there who retired so we're still getting established with our new point of contact). Maybe you have something like that in Utah?

I've also found a website called "grouphomeriches" but I can't vouch for them, it seems to be a paid mentor ship and I have no idea if it is legit but I do get his email newsletters which are for the most part pretty informative.

I also just read this article  which is about an amazing group of parents who started an inclusive living community through an apartment complex that houses the disabled with staffed caregivers and your everyday tenant: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2019/01/2...

It seems like such an overwhelming feat but it is so great to hear of other people doing the same thing out there and making it happen! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you