• Investor
  • Saint Johns, FL
Votes |
LLC partnership question

Jan H.
  • Investor
  • Saint Johns, FL
Posted Jul 31 2018, 17:45

I would like to get some ideas from you experienced RE investors out there on structuring a partnership my friend and I about to enter into.

We (two of us) are planning to form an LLC with some cash and start buying multi-unit properties out of state (we're in CA currently). Since we both have different amount of money available to us to invest, we'd like to structure the partnership in an equitable way so it is a win-win for everyone.

Let's say we all put in $50,000k each into the LLC as starting capital. We use the capital for down payments and finance the rest of the purchases through traditional financing. We both can get mortgages in our names and as long we finance the same amount of properties/loans, we should be 50-50 partners, meaning that all equity and cash flow as well as expenses/tax liability gets halved.

Here are the questions:

1. What happens if we 'burn through' the initial capital and only one of the partners can contribute with more capital? How would the equity portion/cash flow get split up?

2. Let's say partner A contributes the down payment and partner B would get the financing? Would a 50-50 split be acceptable? What is worth more: capital or financing?

3. How are responsibilities split-up usually? (acquisition, managing PMs and subs, accounting, etc.)

Since we do not have experience in putting together a RE deal, I wanted to see if any of you could offer some word of wisdom...much appreciated!

Loading replies...