Rental Property: Multi-member LLC vs Tenants-in-Common

2 Replies

Hi,

I'm new to the forum; it's a pleasure to be part of the group. I'm considering purchasing a rental property with a family member and would like to hear your thoughts on forming a multi-member LLC holding the property vs two single-member LLCs holding the title as tenants in common (TIC). Details:

• Cash purchase and cash rehab of house - no loans
  • Lot contains a house and garage. Plan is to subdivide lot, sell a portion of the raw land, and rehab the existing house for a rental that we will hold long term before sale. 
  • I live in MD, partner to be is an NC resident.

Questions:

• My accountant suggested a multi-member LLC, but wouldn't holding the title as 2 single-member LLCs eliminate Maryland tax filing fees as well as the NC partner being hit with both MD and NC tax on out of state LLC partner's earnings?
  • Would either of these options simplify an eventual 1031-exchange?
  • Ideally, I'd like the option for us to disproportionately distribute expenses and associated deprecation or tax deductions. For example, I fund payment for roof replacement and therefore can deduct the depreciation from my taxes as opposed to splitting it 50% with partner. Is this easier to achieve under the multi-member LLC or TIC single-member LLCs structure?
  • Any other recommendations?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

@Brandon Wesley

You didn't mention where the property is located.

Question 1
TIC - The rental property will be reported on your schedule E. Each owner will be required to file a tax return where they reside and may be required to file a return where the property is.
Partnership - will be required to file a tax return where the property is located. The partnership will also distribute a K-1 to each member. The member will then still be required to file a tax return where they reside and may be required to file a return where the property is located.

Question 2
TIC - 1031 will qualify
Partnership - Partnership will qualify to do a 1031. You can't 1031 your ownership in the LLC.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you