Please Help! Need Some Advice

4 Replies

Hey BP! So I’m starting my my wholesaling business in a couple weeks and everyone’s advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated. I’ve run into a few small problems concerning the business name and business cards. First, the business name. I was thinking (insert name)home buyers or (insert name) Home buyers and realty. Although I would primarily be in the business of wholesaling I’m also going to have my real estate license and I want to offer the services of listing homes and helping people find their dream homes or investment properties. I just want the name to clarify what we do. Second, I’m not sure how to go about this on a business card. Would I put: Kevin Rhoden Wholesaler Licensed real estate agent Investor. I kinda feel like I’m overthinking this however I’ve never owned a business or made business cards. Everyone’s advice and opinion would be much appreciated!

Federal laws and many state laws apply to real estate advertising for agents/brokers. For example, the broker name and fair housing logo must be included, and have display guidelines. I would wait until you have your license to get cards so you don't have to reprint everything. Broker's often offer sign-on bonuses like free or discounted business cards. Good luck! 

@Kevin Rhoden

You may need 2 cards. If you work for a brokerage, they will have a templated card that they want you to use for your retail business.

As far as your investor business, don't put wholesaler because you never know who is going to call and some properties won't work for wholesale. 

Pick a name that is easy to spell, no numbers because you will always be asked - is it the number or do we spell it out? - and that gets annoying... Shorter is better for people to spell. And make sure the company name is available through your Secretary of State and that the same name is available to use for your website.

Don't overthink it. Only you and your mother will remember your company name. People don't care what your business is called - they only care about what you can do for them.

Good luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you