Bit of a weird question. Anyone ever created a cemetary

6 Replies

Kind of a bit of a morbid subject, I know. But I have 4 acres of vacant land on a main Highway that is zoned commercial.

Problem is their is nothing on that side of town and dont see anything changing for many, many years. There is a recently built bypass that circles around the area.

Has anyone on here ever created a cemetary. I've done the math and it looks like it could be profitable. But I'm sure there are plenty of environmental concerns that would have to be addressed. Not to mention the start up costs with licensing and insurances.

Any thoughts?

I worked for a big syndicator in the mid 80s as an acquisitions broker and they had me working on one.

its a condo plat.. IE very small condo's  .. the math works  absorption though is Loooong.

If you own the land and don't have debt service could work.. then its like anything else what is the demand.???

PS this property was in Metro Sacramento so very large population to draw from.  and you have two kinds full service IE they have a crematorium on site and sell caskets and head stones etc.  and then just the ones that the only real work to them is digging the grave and keeping grass mowed and general landscaping maintenance and interior roads maintained 

Promotion
PPR Note Company
Note Investing
Diversify your portfolio and get completely passive cashflow.
All without tenants, repairs, or vacancies - in a real-estate-backed investment fund.
Here's how.

I am sure you would have to get a special use permit on that one. The permit folks take your money up front, and the wait to find out to see if you are approved could take a very long time.

They work but it takes a while to get your investment back. The ones I layout are usually for cities and towns or churches that outgrow their existing space. A typical spot is 3.5' x10'. So 35 square feet for 8-10000 bucks is not too bad.

Clint

thanks for the replies.  Im gonna do some more research.  Figure it can't hurt to do the due diligence on this and see what I'm dealing with. Land is owned free and clear so that's a plus.  If nothing else it could be another stream of income.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you