Landlord Insurance Recommendations

3 Replies

I am buying my first rental property and looking at just getting an insurance policy versus setting up an llc. Once I can figure out how to move the mortgage to my LLC without triggering the due on sale clause i will create the llc , and keep the insurance. To get started this seems to be the easiest.

Originally posted by @Misty Monk :

I am buying my first rental property and looking at just getting an insurance policy versus setting up an llc. Once I can figure out how to move the mortgage to my LLC without triggering the due on sale clause i will create the llc , and keep the insurance. To get started this seems to be the easiest.

LLC or no LLC you still want to have an insurance policy on any rental property. I recommend a liability policy of at least $300,000 per property.

My rule of thumb for what its worth.

If net wealth < $1M then $2M umbrella policy only

If net wealth >$1M then $2M umbrella policy plus LLC

Best, Terrell

Originally posted by @Misty Monk :

Misty, if your loan will allow, you will want to start with a commercial lines policy. These policies allow you to hold the property in your personal name and in other entities like an LLC, Trust, etc.

If you start with a Personal lines policy, once you transfer the property into the LLC, they may not continue to insure the property and require you to move it to a commercial policy.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you