Goals, Business Plans, and Entities

3 Replies

@Lee Ripma @Faith Kirk

I agree with Lee, you should definitely get a good tax professional. :)

Its difficult to give a concrete answer to your question with the details provided. First, is the LLC a disregarded entity for tax purposes (i.e. is there only one partner in the LLC or is there multiple partners?)? Some states like CA require a state filing regardless if it is a disregarded entity, while other states don't have such requirement. Second, you need to check if the state in question has a LLC state filing requirement.

Another concern that you may or may not have considered is that by operating in another state, you may have state sourced income (SSI) in the state in question. You may need to apportion/allocate the state sourced income so that the income is being taxed correctly by each jurisdiction. 

Again, work with a good tax professional that can help you navigate this for you.  

@Faith Kirk

The first question should be is this a single-member LLC or a multi-member LLC.
I assume it is a multi-member LLC since you mentioned "we".

You may have the requirement to file a partnership return if this is a multi-member LLC.

Regarding state filings, you normally have to file the return based on where you are domiciled and where there is activity.

The next question should be, do you have to register the LLC to do business in the state that you actually do business in.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here