I'm opening a Boarding Home

13 Replies

@Desmund McDaniel what is the demographic that would support it? Seniors, students, ? How many bedrooms, what would the arrangement be? Shared housing can work in specific situations.

So a board and care home,  like an assisted living?  With aids and such?  Where are you located?  There may be specific regulations around this kind of home depending on what you provide.  

Originally posted by @Desmund McDaniel :

@Karen Margrave hey, my demographic is mostly seniors that I will screen, I have 3 bedrooms with 2 clients in each room. I plan to provide everything in the house along with meals with on site supervision for any assistance.

Boarding homes, co living arrangements basically are not required (in CA) to be licensed by the state, unless they are for medically dependent people. I think the OP is doing them for "independent living - active seniors". Even if they have medical conditions, they can have home health aids come in by their own arrangements and it won't require licensing for the property. 

@Desmund McDaniel I have considered this before. I have a big house, though it's 2 stories, 4600 sq. ft. and a seperate ADU that's around 2500. What are you charging per bed?

@Karen Margrave   and I thought CA had all the regulations and then some.   The original poster did say he would provide on site supervision. Here and in MA many towns require a business license for a regular boarding house and there are other issues when you provide supervision.  I mostly dealt such places in NJ where there are regulations around these homes. 

@Colleen F. CA does have more regulations than probably anywhere else. However; for what the OP is doing, it's basically room mates. I think getting into "supervision" may be a problem, as any time you do something like that there's "liability". 

As long as it's not "assisted living" where residents need medical care, there's no licensing required in CA that I know of. At the same time if it's not a licensed facility the residents may not have as many options for assistance with payment as they do in licensed facilities. 

@Desmund McDaniel Add SC to your profile and you may get some region specific help.  I think you may  be in a less regulated area.  First place to check is town ordinances to see if they say anything about boarding houses. Then look into state laws. Maybe on board and care facilities, they may tell you what makes you a care facility or not. Another words what services your supervisor should not provide and what services you should not market to tenants to limit liability and stay out of the licensing realm.  Maybe you want to keep that person to an onsite housekeeper and personal assistant or maybe you don't want any supervision. 

My understanding is even serving food opens you to licensing and inspection requirements. Here is a link to SC assisted living guidelines which apply to 2 or more:

https://aspe.hhs.gov/system/files/pdf/110601/15alcom-SC.pdf

Once you do more than charge rent, you really open yourself to deeper regulation, so I would contact the state and ask them. Internet strangers can only help so much:)

Originally posted by @Desmund McDaniel :

I have a property that i own I want to make a boarding home, does anyone have any tips or suggestions in this business?

Is it in the City of Columbia? If so, where? I've been investing in downtown Columbia for 15 years and it's been my experience that getting anything like that approved is close to impossible. There are some exceptions with current operating boarding houses but those are typically grandfathered in.

@Joe Splitrock - hmm, but what if he just had a community kitchen, and the residents decided to hire someone to cook for them? Now he'd be back in house hack territory, no?

Originally posted by @Michele Z. :

@Joe Splitrock - hmm, but what if he just had a community kitchen, and the residents decided to hire someone to cook for them? Now he'd be back in house hack territory, no?

I would call the state and ask. If the group is contracting someone to some in, that seems like pretty much the same thing. So many businesses get in trouble because they don't take time to understand licensing, zoning, etc.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you