What degree would be useful for real estate investing ?

9 Replies

Finance, Economics, Accounting, and of course Real Estate if possible. Personally, I got my BA in Economics but obviously the greatest value in my coursework was taking real estate classes. I wouldn't stress too much about the major. You'll learn far more about real estate investing by DOING first and foremost, and then books specifically focused on different aspects of real estate investing.

Originally posted by @Jaime Hernandez :

I have a GI bill and I get out in January! What degree would be useful for me to take in college? Thank you in Advance

If you want to invest in Real Estate, JUST DO IT! @Zeke Liston is 19, has no degree, and is on his way to 10 rentals & hundreds of thousands in commissions as a real estate agent.

However if you find an interest in history, art, mathematics, etc study it. Life is about finding what your passionate about and pursuing it with all you've got.

Thank you for your service @Jaime Hernandez ! I'd advise any business degree. Make sure you take advantage of the Real Estate course work your university offers. Consider starting out with BRRRR while you are still in school to get your feet wet.

@Jaime Hernandez

Construction management and some business degree. Business would be important starting out but eventually you’ll probably hire out the more complicated business aspect (legal/accounting). Construction management would stick with you for the long haul though.

Best of luck,

Taking this from a bit of a different angle, I find that many engineers tend to become great real estate investors. As an engineer, you need to pay attention to detail, be good with numbers, and sometimes, think outside the box. Not to mention, you get a pretty nice salary outside of college! I am an engineer, and while learning thermodynamics hasn't helped me in my real estate career directly, the skills that I needed to learn in pursuing the degree, and the salary that I have received have been really helpful. 

@Jaime Hernandez first off, thank you for your service! This is one of those questions that seems to pop up on BP fairly often, and if you ask 20 people you'll get 20 different answers depending on their background and experiences. I'd recommend finding a balance between what you enjoy, where you will have job security, and what pays a decent salary. You'll want good W2 wages so that banks will more easily loan to you, however you also want something that you won't hate and want to quit in the first 5 years. That's why I like accounting, all industries need accountants so plenty of opportunities, the pay is decent and it's something I enjoy doing. Good luck with your decision!

@Jaime Hernandez business, finance, accounting. My MBA education which was a ton of business case studies and other courses has definitely helped me problem solve a bunch of different issues you run into while investing. The critical thinking mindset definitely helps problem solve

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you