I'm self employed, I'm a graphic designer and never really needed a CPA before as I just dealt with my text preparer but, I just purchased my 2nd investment property and, now I'm looking for a CPA but, I don't know what characteristics to look for in them, in the context of Real Estate and my business.
At this point, you want availability, as most specialists are at capacity or close to it.
In general, look for some of these skills/traits:
- Excellent tax compliance
- Tax Strategist
- Friendly Personality
- Cost structure that works for you
I recommend finding an accountant that specializes in real estate taxation. You may want to consider working with your accountant remotely to expand your options.
I would also recommend looking for a tax strategist who is willing to work with you throughout the year, not just when preparing your tax return. You want an accountant that can help you strategize and who is responsive when you want to know the tax consequences of the decisions you are making throughout the year.
Good luck and let me know if I can be of assistance.
1. Detail oriented
2. Knows the tax code for real estate/other business deductions
3. Educates you on the process
4. Understands your goals with real estate so you can acquire more loans (if that's what you desire)
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you