Wanted: Best Online Business Banking

2 Replies

Hi - looking for recommendations for online banking business accounts. Important features to me as a real estate investor include low minimum balance, and (low) wire fees.  It seems that many online banking options for small businesses cater towards those in the tech or retail/consumer space, so they may not have the same priorities in terms of features.

Thanks!

@Daniella Steinberg you can try MidFirst Bank. They are based on Oklahoma with a large presence in Phoenix and smaller presences (via acquisition) in Denver and LA.  But I imagine they can open an account for any US citizen.  

Minimum business checking account balance is $500 (may have gone to $750, I can’t remember) to avoid monthly fees.  Wire fees are pretty standard at $30-40.  I’ve never seen a bank consistently come in under that range.  Phone help is great when needed, but they aren’t 24/7. Online and mobile is plenty useful.  They don’t have Chase’s IT budget, but it works fine.

Union Bank, based in CA, has a $1000 minimum balance to avoid fees.  It was difficult to open an account for a business there, and I don’t recommend them as highly as MidFirst.  On the other hand, I think their wire fees might be less.  I was working overseas for about $20 I think?  It’s been more than a year since that, so I’m not sure of the exact number.  

@Daniella Steinberg I used Ally when the savings accounts were paying 2+% and I liked them. Since the savings rates dropped so much, I've pretty much stopped using them. I'd recommend just banking with your local bank that you get your mortgages with. I can text my banker and he'll usually respond with an answer almost immediately. The quick service and flexibility they offer is worth every penny.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you