What kind of entity do I need?

2 Replies

Need some advice here. 2 of my brothers and I are going to purchase a house for $715k and turn it into a large AirBnb in Memphis TN. What entity (if any) should we buy the house in? LLC? Family Trust? Something else? Thanks in advance.

Know your risk and that will drive you to some options.  Be sure you understand what your limitations are when you title in a Family Trust.  There is no liability protection with it..."Revocable living trusts don't, however, protect your assets from people with legal claims against you. That's because although the trust is a legal entity, for legal purposes you're treated as the owner of the trust assets." (Source: Nolo.com)

Then read this:  https://www.apartments.com/ren...

Again, know your risk and then choose the best protection based on that scenario.  And, you do have a contract with your family members on this purchase, right?  You have assigned roles so that those ugly family power plays are avoided, right?  You have determined at what point you sell and what to do if one person wants out, right?  Sometimes the greatest risk is the one you create upfront.

Hope this helps and congrats on your new business.

Best.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you