What would you do? Travel for work and want to accumulate points.

8 Replies

Hi BP! What would you do if you were in my shoes

You travel for work frequently which is paid for and reimbursed by the company you work at. What credit cards are you using to accumulate points for flights and hotels?

Would like to hear your thoughts and ideas. Thanks!

I typically use Amex but don't travel all that much. I'd look into specific frequent flier cards offered by different airlines. If you have to fly specific routes that use a certain airlines get the card offered by said airline.

@Tiffany Onwudinanti I use the chase sapphire reserve card for all of my purchases. I also have the AMEX platinum which is good for the perks, but I don't actually charge anything to that card. Both cards are great for folks that travel a lot. I have a unique advantage in that I'm active duty military, and both cards waive their annual fees (~$500 per card) for military cardholders. 

Best of luck with your decision!

Promotion
Marko Rubel
ATTENTION INVESTORS
Get Deals 100% Funded – No Credit, No Banks, No Job Verification
New Unlimited Funding® program for investors: low-interest, without banks or shark lenders.
Check availability

I travel extensively for my job or I did before COVID and will soon again...

I have used airline miles cards in the past. Most of the benefit comes in the sign up bonus. I sign up, use the card for a year then cancel. Then wait a couple years and sign up again. The cards I have determined are the best deal offer cash back. Cash back gives you flexibility to spend it how you see fit, versus being locked into mileage and block out restrictions. 

I currently use DIscover which has 1% cash back on all purchases and 5% cash back quarterly promotions. For example they now have 5% back at Target and Amazon. 

I also have a Costco Anywhere Visa, which offers 4% cash on gas purchases, 3% cash on restaurants and travel, 2% at Costco and 1% everywhere else. If you look at how many points you get for buying an airplane ticket versus 3% cash back, the cash holds stronger value.

Another factor here is annual fees. Neither Discover or Costco Anywhere have any annual fees. Many of the airline travel cards have large annual fees, so you need to calculate that in the benefits. 

I would also consider frequent flier miles and hotel points. Ideally you want to stay with the same airline and hotel chain to maximize these benefits. In addition to points or miles, you will get upgrades like first class or room upgrades.

@Jay Hinrichs travels a ton and could probably offer other tips.

@Tiffany Onwudinanti I also used to travel for work weekly and everything was reimbursed. My top cards were Chase Sapphire Reserve, Gold Amex, Delta Skymiles Platinum, and Marriott cards.

Check out “the points guy” (you can google that phrase) and you can really nerd out on ways to maximize credit card points.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you