Seeking Advice Looking for Brokerage as New Agent

8 Replies

Hello! I just passed my Florida real estate sales associate exam and I am excited to start working. What should I be looking for in a brokerage? I would like to use my license to help me buy investment properties while also selling houses like a traditional agent. I live in Orlando so please reach out if you are also in the area or know of any good brokerages around me. Thank you any advice is appreciated!

@Valentina Calla I started this year with Keller Williams in their Waterford Lakes office in Orlando. They have been great. I thought the training was really well done. And the Advantage offices (Waterford Lakes, Lake Nona, & Oviedo) have a coach that is included in the office fees that is very helpful. The coach will even help you stay motivated with investing goals, whatever helps your business. If you want to know anything else about it, send me a message, I'm happy to share.

Originally posted by @Dustin Fike :

@Valentina Calla I started this year with Keller Williams in their Waterford Lakes office in Orlando. They have been great. I thought the training was really well done. And the Advantage offices (Waterford Lakes, Lake Nona, & Oviedo) have a coach that is included in the office fees that is very helpful. The coach will even help you stay motivated with investing goals, whatever helps your business. If you want to know anything else about it, send me a message, I'm happy to share.

Thank you! I will definitely look into them and reach out if I have any questions. 

@Valentina Calla congratulations!! What perfect timing to get your licence - new year, new journey! I’m with JPAR in Orlando. Happy to chat about our brokerage or even share some insight as a long-time investor.

Originally posted by @Natasha Jansen :

@Valentina Calla congratulations!! What perfect timing to get your licence - new year, new journey! I’m with JPAR in Orlando. Happy to chat about our brokerage or even share some insight as a long-time investor.

Hey Natasha! Funny timing, I actually visited the office today and met with Lauren, Rocki, and Tyler! I am so excited to be part of the JPAR team :)

Hi Valentina, In case you might be interested...I'm in the process of standing up a branch of my brokerage here in the Orlando area and we are working to build a team in Q1 2022.  I also have a boutique property management and a project management business which I built from scratch.  In terms of RE sales, I do traditional real estate and I have an arm that works with investors (handled very differently - providing them a "one stop shop" for all things real estate.  

I left a big name brokerage after several years of paying fees and only getting limited support - everyone wants to say they offer training (and they do ) but few actually help you get to that next level.  (I did sell 25 homes in my first full year, so please don't think I left because of production.)  For the bigger names though, training dollars (many charge you for the "next level" training) and churning new agents makes up a good chunk of their profits. When you're new, you need tools, a work family, mentors (who know what they're doing - not people who just coach) and accountability.  

If you're interested, I'd be happy to talk with you about any aspect of your question. 

I think finding a team in today's real estate market is going to be as powerful, and likely more so, than your choice of brokerage. Joining any brokerage assures you no leads and all different levels of training, but there are also hidden fees in most of the big box brokerages (6% off the top, mentor fee, etc). Generally, you want to find a brokerage with training so you can excel fast, but a team is what will get you leads and deals, especially if you are a hustler.