Reaching out to a foreclosure prior to selling property

Reaching out to a foreclosure prior to selling property

Member since 2021 · 15 posts · 3 votes

Hello,

My brother and I are looking for our first deal and noticed a foreclosure going for auction on 2/3/22. I was thinking of going to auction but was wondering if I could skip trace and try to make a deal before it goes to auction. Is this possible to do in such a short period of time? The owner is being sued for $32,000. It has a federal tax lien of $22,000. Prop stream shows a possible HELOC for 46,000 owed. They are currently still living on the property. The estimate between Zillow and Propstream are around $300,000-$312,000. If it goes to auction I believe the HELOC will not be paid as the other liens are prior to in priority(is this correct?). Is this a recommended tactic? I really want to be able to walk the property to understand the repair extents to be able to figure the max offer amount plus if I could talk the owner into renting it, they could stay in the house they are losing and I could make a nice investment. Thoughts.....

0Reply
37 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
4y

@Sean MIddleton Just realize that they have no incentive to “give it away”.  In most markets, foreclosure auctions yield 80-90% (or more) of current value.  The current owner gets the surplus once all the liens are paid off, so they’re better off letting it go to foreclosure than sell to the typical low ball “foreclosure chaser”.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2021 · 112 posts · 59 votes
    4y

    Yes, you can absolutely make a deal before it is auctioned off. It is actually a pretty common method. I would caution against renting to the current homeowner. Consider why the homeowner is in the position to lose the home in the first place and determine if given that reason, you are confidant you will receive your rent.

  • Member since 2021 · 19 posts · 12 votes
    4y

    @Sean MIddleton

    Never ever do a rent back to the current owner. You’re just setting yourself up to foreclose on them in the usually not too distant future

  • Member since 2021 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    Well.  I may have to door knock. The phone numbers found during skip trace were disconnected. Thank you for the input. I will not be renting to individuals being foreclosed upon.  That makes great sense as they are already in financial turmoil. 

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    4y

    @Sean MIddleton Just realize that they have no incentive to “give it away”.  In most markets, foreclosure auctions yield 80-90% (or more) of current value.  The current owner gets the surplus once all the liens are paid off, so they’re better off letting it go to foreclosure than sell to the typical low ball “foreclosure chaser”.

  • Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Wayne Brooks:

    @Sean MIddleton Just realize that they have no incentive to “give it away”.  In most markets, foreclosure auctions yield 80-90% (or more) of current value.  The current owner gets the surplus once all the liens are paid off, so they’re better off letting it go to foreclosure than sell to the typical low ball “foreclosure chaser”.

    Not to mention they will likely file BK the day before and take a stab at reorganizing their debt.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.