Gas ranges and stoves, Is this a feature you market?

Gas ranges and stoves, Is this a feature you market?

Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes

I am closing a sfh. I have to provide the oven and range. It could be gas or electric. Is is this gas option a feature you advertise?

0Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Jerry W.Pro Member
Moderator
Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
12y

@Matt R. , when I have a choice I put gas ranges in rentals. In my old apartments where I need more circuits I can convert the 240 volt plug to two 120 volt outlets. The gas ranges virtually never wear out like the coils can on electric stoves. The thing I do not like are the old pilot light stove tops. After awhile they just don't work and can give your rentals the natural gas smell. I usually change out the old pilot stoves for electronic ignition stoves when I get complaint on the gas smell. I do not mention the type of stove in my marketing.

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    c+ prop, c+ hood, excuse typos por favor, typing on tablet.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    12y

    It is preferred to have a gas range/cooktop but most ovens are now electric. I never specify in the marketing that the range is gas, I do advertise that it has a stainless steel finish.

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    buy and hold rental btw...

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Matt R. , when I have a choice I put gas ranges in rentals. In my old apartments where I need more circuits I can convert the 240 volt plug to two 120 volt outlets. The gas ranges virtually never wear out like the coils can on electric stoves. The thing I do not like are the old pilot light stove tops. After awhile they just don't work and can give your rentals the natural gas smell. I usually change out the old pilot stoves for electronic ignition stoves when I get complaint on the gas smell. I do not mention the type of stove in my marketing.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Matt R.:
    buy and hold rental btw...

    Ok, in that case, is there a gas line already in place? If so, go with the gas. If not, you would have to assess the costs of running a gas line plus the unit compared to sticking with an electric range.

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Jerry and Will, you guys make it easy for me...appreciated.

  • Durham, NC · Member since 2012 · 498 posts · 48 votes
    12y

    For home residence, I certainly prefer gas stove (with dual fuel oven). For rentals, I prefer electric as the risk is lower. Some resort hotels do not even allow open fire in the unit.

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    xing, that is a great point. I wonder what other c+props owners consider. I have left gas stoves on...it seems the same for electric though. I guess if you like to cook gas is better and if you can do without extra expense

    go gas?

  • Durham, NC · Member since 2012 · 498 posts · 48 votes
    12y

    Matt, I guess that for a gas stove even without turning on, a leakage of large amount of gas can cause a problem, even an explosion.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
    12y

    Most of my renters prefer an electric stove (and heat) - cause they don't have the cash for the deposit with the gas department.

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    In my area, gas is very common and cheaper than electric. If I'm providing the stove, I go with gas unless there is no gas line available. If the tenant is providing, I will let them know whether gas, electric, or both is available.

    Sometimes a good prospect will want an electric line put in because their stove is electric. I will have it done to close the deal. It's under $200 and a one time expense.

  • Investor · Oak Park, MI · Member since 2014 · 299 posts · 47 votes
    12y

    I have this dilemma right now, I have a rental in a nice middle class neighborhood, a 4/2 home, (Oak Park close to Berkley for the michiganders), probably can get $1,500 - $1,600 a month for rent, we are replacing the cabinets, granite and putting stainless steel appliances, the connection is for electric but have thought about putting a gas burner instead of electric, would you think it would be a good idea to turn it to gas? Rob K. , if you're familiar with the area what is your take on this? Also something to consider is for this type of home 90% of the applicants were families with kids.

    Thanks.

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Roy Gutierrez:
    I have this dilemma right now, I have a rental in a nice middle class neighborhood, a 4/2 home, (Oak Park close to Berkley for the michiganders), probably can get $1,500 - $1,600 a month for rent, we are replacing the cabinets, granite and putting stainless steel appliances, the connection is for electric but have thought about putting a gas burner instead of electric, would you think it would be a good idea to turn it to gas? @Rob K , if you're familiar with the area what is your take on this? Also something to consider is for this type of home 90% of the applicants were families with kids.

    Thanks.

    I ended up going with gas. I think most like to cook with gas if optional. The extra cost to change over might not be worth it unless you seeing getting more rent for gas appliances.

    Thanks,

    Matt

  • Investor · Oak Park, MI · Member since 2014 · 299 posts · 47 votes
    12y

    I figured if there's a lot of appeal around here for gas, I will put it in and help make my property more appealing and rent it faster.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Hattiesburg, MS · Member since 2011 · 475 posts · 141 votes
    12y

    I find that most people prefer all electric in my market "mild winters".

    I personally prefer gas, but will swap it for electric if it's the last piece of gas equipment.

    Some people are intimidated by cooking on gas stoves, and others just dislike having another bill to worry with.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Roy Gutierrez:
    I have this dilemma right now, I have a rental in a nice middle class neighborhood, a 4/2 home, (Oak Park close to Berkley for the michiganders), probably can get $1,500 - $1,600 a month for rent, we are replacing the cabinets, granite and putting stainless steel appliances, the connection is for electric but have thought about putting a gas burner instead of electric, would you think it would be a good idea to turn it to gas? @Rob K , if you're familiar with the area what is your take on this? Also something to consider is for this type of home 90% of the applicants were families with kids.

    Thanks.

    IMO, if you are in a middle-class or better price point, gas is where it's at. To go totally high end, you'd supply a gas cook top with combo gas/elec. convection oven. Oak Park (again, my opinion as a former MI girl) at $1600/mo should have a better than average kitchen. At the very least a gas stove/oven.

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Roy Gutierrez:
    I have this dilemma right now, I have a rental in a nice middle class neighborhood, a 4/2 home, (Oak Park close to Berkley for the michiganders), probably can get $1,500 - $1,600 a month for rent, we are replacing the cabinets, granite and putting stainless steel appliances, the connection is for electric but have thought about putting a gas burner instead of electric, would you think it would be a good idea to turn it to gas? @Rob K , if you're familiar with the area what is your take on this? Also something to consider is for this type of home 90% of the applicants were families with kids.

    Thanks.

    In that price range, I would probably put gas in if it wouldn't be too difficult/expensive to do so.

  • Property Manager · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2012 · 267 posts · 136 votes
    12y

    If it is a higher rent area where you need granite and new cabinets the tenants will probably expect gas. If the hook up is there do it, if not put it in. In C+ neighborhoods go with whatever hook ups are available.

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    We promote natural gas as "the cheapest way to heat". We do this for flips, rehabs and buy & holds.

    Just rented an apt. with gas heat, gas hot water heater, gas range, & gas dryer, you can be assured that I promoted the gas feature of this apt and is only a $595 apt.

    On a rehab that is to become a rental for us, the kitchen had both a gas line and a 220 electric range outlet already there. We gutted the kitchen to the studs and totally redid the place. We left both gas and electric in the kitchen and we're planning on offering it to tenants as bring your own range either gas or electric. The PM suggested that we supply a range, which we ended up doing getting a gas range. There is also a new dishwasher in the unit. This is a 2 br house rent currently at $750.

    We've done about a dozen or so gas heat conversions, and prefer gas and tenants and buyers prefer gas in out market. Of the 3 primary heat sources of gas, electric and oil, gas is by far the cheapest to operate.

    Propane is a different story and is a oil by-product in gasoline production. It is not a natural gas product and the pricing is varying just like oil which can change price daily.

  • Princeton, KS · Member since 2014 · 357 posts · 169 votes
    12y

    One of the smartest things I did in my C+ property was leave the electric stove receptacle in place & have the HVAC guys run a gas supply to the stove. I do provide the stove, but I can use whatever unit I find at a good price. Around here, gas is as popular as electric - either/or. I'm putting in a stainless gas unit for a little extra "kitchen bling" - believe me, it could use it!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.