How to Buy a Duplex w/ No Money Down

How to Buy a Duplex w/ No Money Down

Member since 2023 · 6 posts · 3 votes

Hello all, I am an aspiring investor and want to buy a duplex. I don't have enough to cover a down payment and have research different ways to start. I just don't know which one is the safest since this is my first time trying to get into the game. 1st way I know of doing it is asking the seller if I can take over their mortgage payments but I don't understand how this works since they might have already paid part of the overall cost of the home. Another way I know of is by going through a bank loan for the down payment and then going through the mortgage lender for the rest. One final way is through USDA loan for rural areas but I don't know if South Jersey qualifies for that. Any help would be appreciated even if it is not directly related to the topic. For reference, I am 26 y/o and make 60k a year. 

1Reply
48 views

Most Popular Reply

Nicholas L.Pro Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
2y

save up enough until you have the down payment.

that's the best option.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y

    save up enough until you have the down payment.

    that's the best option.

  • Real Estate Agent · NJ · Member since 2021 · 567 posts · 127 votes
    2y

    Find an investor with money that is looking for a deal (there are many of them out there, If you have a great deal it's easy to find a money partner!

  • Member since 2023 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    2y

    Thank for the advice. I am just confused overall and I was going to make a separate post stating the following:

    I understand there are different ways of getting a rental property with no money down but I'm so confused as this is my first time trying to get into something. I don't know much about taking over mortgage payments and from what I've read you still need to give the seller a lump sum. In my area I don't think the seller will be so desperate to just accept payments. Also, I still would need to pay off a lump sum for which I prefer a mortgage because I can personally control how quick/how slow I can pay off the property. 

    If I were to get a down payment loan from the bank in addition to a loan for the difference from a mortgage lender then I have 2 payments a month to make and no cash flow on the property. So I am confused as to how I can get a property for no money down and not have to sacrifice cash flow. I mean I could get an FHA loan but the PMI is added when I don't have 20% down. Is this a reasonable loss to get into the game?

  • Christian EhlersBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · NH & MA · Member since 2021 · 457 posts · 291 votes
    2y

    Hey @Jenny Serrano I'd recommend saving up a downpayment for a duplex in your area to househack. A good agent can help you negotiate some closing cost credits to help with this , but If you don't have money for close to a 3.5-5% down payment, then I would imagine you'll be in a tough spot if you run into unexpected repairs or vacancy (roof leak, water heater, on and on). 

    Taking over loan payments and seller financing are options for 0% down deals, but they are a lot harder to find than youtube will make it seem, you'll need money for repairs on these properties too even if you did find one. I hope this gives you some direction, househacking is the simplest and least risky place to start IMO. 

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y

    @Jenny Serrano

    the short answer to your question is no, in general there is no way to borrow 100% (unless you qualify for a very specialized program like a VA loan, for example.) and having 2 conventional loans as you're describing used to be a thing before the financial crisis... and no longer is.

    you're also asking about sub to - that is not a beginner strategy and i would strongly recommend not trying it on your first deal.  it's for well capitalized, advanced, diversified investors.  and you still need money to do it - when you go to closing, you're still going to have to bring thousands of dollars to pay for closing costs, taxes if there are any, etc.

    so... the strongest possibly play for you is to just save up: a 3-5% down payment + closing costs + reserves.  talk to a loan officer and they can tell you more about how much it might cost.  then: save.

    also see this thread about cash flowing on a house hack.  that is not the point of a house hack.  the point of a house hack is just to defray your mortgage with some rent.  not to be positive every month.  if you can pay $1200 to rent or $987.33 to house hack, house hacking is the better option.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/922/topics/1154317-cash...

  • Member since 2023 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nicholas L.:

    @Jenny Serrano

    the short answer to your question is no, in general there is no way to borrow 100% (unless you qualify for a very specialized program like a VA loan, for example.) and having 2 conventional loans as you're describing used to be a thing before the financial crisis... and no longer is.

    you're also asking about sub to - that is not a beginner strategy and i would strongly recommend not trying it on your first deal.  it's for well capitalized, advanced, diversified investors.  and you still need money to do it - when you go to closing, you're still going to have to bring thousands of dollars to pay for closing costs, taxes if there are any, etc.

    so... the strongest possibly play for you is to just save up: a 3-5% down payment + closing costs + reserves.  talk to a loan officer and they can tell you more about how much it might cost.  then: save.

    also see this thread about cash flowing on a house hack.  that is not the point of a house hack.  the point of a house hack is just to defray your mortgage with some rent.  not to be positive every month.  if you can pay $1200 to rent or $987.33 to house hack, house hacking is the better option.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/922/topics/1154317-cash...


    I appreciate this. I will definitely look into it. Aren't there FHA loans that are available with no money down? I understand there is additional cost for the insurance for the duration of the loan and that sucks but am I allowed to ask for more than the house is worth for the rehab costs? The duplex I want is 310,000 and I wanted at least 50,000 for the rehab. I apologize for the back and forth but if this doesn't help then I will need to save the 60,000 although it might be a while to save it.

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y

    @Jenny Serrano

    the best info on what loans are available to you will come from a loan officer.  call a whole bunch!  make a list of 10 and call 1-2 a day for a week.  don't have them pull your credit yet, just ask them what they think you would qualify for based on your general situation.

    there is a loan that covers rehab - i've never used it myself but know people who have.  it's not zero down.

    https://www.rocketmortgage.com/learn/fha-203(k)-loan

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    Agree with @Nicholas L. There is FHA rehab loans but you still need a DP. Conventional has rehab loans too. Those are a pain to do, more moving parts to them. Owner finance is possible but rare for a newbie and risky. Focus on building a strong financial foundation then invest

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.