Investing in Ohio-Specifically Section 8

Investing in Ohio-Specifically Section 8

Chino, CA · Member since 2024 · 10 posts · 24 votes

Hello everyone!

New here to the forum and I am currently looking to invest in Ohio for the purpose of providing section 8 housing.  I have about 1

$110K to invest, and I am looking to invest in the next few months.  Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated.  Thank you!  Looking forward to the journey ahead....

12Reply
219 views

Most Popular Reply

Samuel DioufBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus & Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y

Hey Nicholas,

There are some great section-8 opportunities here in Columbus. The city is also growing a ton. There are multiple billion dollar companies dumping money into the city, such as Intel, Google, and Amazon.

I'd be happy to share some areas where you'll see the most cash-flow.

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Linda LabbePro Member
    Investor · North Bay, Ontario · Member since 2015 · 709 posts · 262 votes
    2y

    Hi Nicholas we invest in Toledo and have a great team on the ground there that we share would be delighted to assist you if you want to chat

  • Chino, CA · Member since 2024 · 10 posts · 24 votes
    2y

    Hi Linda,

    I will be reaching out to you soon for some insight.  Thank you!

  • Kerlous TadresBusiness Member
    Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nicholas Nakamura:

    Hello everyone!

    New here to the forum and I am currently looking to invest in Ohio for the purpose of providing section 8 housing.  I have about 1

    $110K to invest, and I am looking to invest in the next few months.  Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated.  Thank you!  Looking forward to the journey ahead....


    Hey Nicholas, 

    I currently have 4 doors here in Columbus! I would love to help you get some referrals to help you set up your CORE 4 to get you a solid team to get going!

    Kerlous Tadres | Reafco Real Estate540 Reviews
  • Samuel DioufBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus & Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Hey Nicholas,

    There are some great section-8 opportunities here in Columbus. The city is also growing a ton. There are multiple billion dollar companies dumping money into the city, such as Intel, Google, and Amazon.

    I'd be happy to share some areas where you'll see the most cash-flow.

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nicholas Nakamura:

    Hello everyone!

    New here to the forum and I am currently looking to invest in Ohio for the purpose of providing section 8 housing.  I have about 1

    $110K to invest, and I am looking to invest in the next few months.  Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated.  Thank you!  Looking forward to the journey ahead....


     Welcome to BP! I recommend you research the local section 8 program.  There are landlord courses you can take to become more educated on section 8

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus | Toledo · Member since 2019 · 607 posts · 768 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nicholas Nakamura:

    Hello everyone!

    New here to the forum and I am currently looking to invest in Ohio for the purpose of providing section 8 housing.  I have about 1

    $110K to invest, and I am looking to invest in the next few months.  Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated.  Thank you!  Looking forward to the journey ahead....


     Toledo, Cleveland, and Dayton would get you a nice turnkey property at that price point

  • Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 447 posts · 441 votes
    2y

    I am a big fan of small multifamily deals in this market. 2-4 units to maximize cash flow. 

  • Realtor · Columbus Ohio, Cleveland Ohio · Member since 2022 · 849 posts · 830 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nicholas Nakamura:

    Hello everyone!

    New here to the forum and I am currently looking to invest in Ohio for the purpose of providing section 8 housing.  I have about 1

    $110K to invest, and I am looking to invest in the next few months.  Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated.  Thank you!  Looking forward to the journey ahead....


    Cleveland will be a suitable market for your Section 8 investment. Check out areas like Old Brooklyn, Brooklyn Centre, Cudell, Jefferson and West Boulevard. 

  • Member since 2018 · 76 posts · 23 votes
    2y

    Also look for a reputable PM that specialized in sec8 program in cleveland the market as well, not every PM work with this program. I would love to connect to one if anyone can suggest any. 

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Nicholas Nakamura

    Welcome to BP!

    To invest in Section 8 housing, look at areas such as Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, and Dayton, choose safe neighborhoods, study Section 8 standards, analyze property types, and explore financing choices. Network with local investors, undertake extensive due diligence, and develop a clear exit strategy. Starting out in Section 8 housing may be a rewarding experience both financially and socially.

    Good luck!

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nicholas Nakamura:

    Hello everyone!

    New here to the forum and I am currently looking to invest in Ohio for the purpose of providing section 8 housing.  I have about 1

    $110K to invest, and I am looking to invest in the next few months.  Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated.  Thank you!  Looking forward to the journey ahead....


    Hi Nicholas! Check out Columbus OH if you want to do Section 8 housing. I've done a lot of Section 8 myself for my own rentals. Happy to connect and answer any questions you may have.

  • Chino, CA · Member since 2024 · 10 posts · 24 votes
    2y

    Hey Kerlous,


    That would be great.  I’ll PM for some referrals.  Thanks!

  • Realtor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 340 posts · 215 votes
    2y

    Hi, welcome! Yes, Ohio is a place where you want to invest in the real estate market. My clients would definitely agree. People are investing in the real estate market from all over the world. If you have any questions reach out! Best Wishes!

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y

    @Nicholas Nakamura

    in order to be successful, you will need to build a network on the ground in Ohio with people you know and trust. buying a random property on the MLS in unknown condition based on other people looking at it, and putting it under management with people you have never met, will not work, and you will lose money.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/963/topics/1195280-expe...

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/48/topics/1137397-balti...

    so - what's your plan?  how will you do things differently than those folks did?

  • Sam McCormackBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH/NKY · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 833 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nicholas Nakamura:

    Hello everyone!

    New here to the forum and I am currently looking to invest in Ohio for the purpose of providing section 8 housing.  I have about 1

    $110K to invest, and I am looking to invest in the next few months.  Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated.  Thank you!  Looking forward to the journey ahead....


     Hey Nick! Cincy has a pretty good section 8 program to take advantage of as an investor. Shoot me a message for details!

    Sam McCormack Realtor
    View Page
  • Chino, CA · Member since 2024 · 10 posts · 24 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Simon Ashbaugh:
    Quote from @Nicholas Nakamura:

    Hello everyone!

    New here to the forum and I am currently looking to invest in Ohio for the purpose of providing section 8 housing.  I have about 1

    $110K to invest, and I am looking to invest in the next few months.  Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated.  Thank you!  Looking forward to the journey ahead....


    Cleveland will be a suitable market for your Section 8 investment. Check out areas like Old Brooklyn, Brooklyn Centre, Cudell, Jefferson and West Boulevard. 

    Thanks for the suggestions Simon.  I'll check those areas out
  • Min ZhangBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    If you are looking into Section 8, I recommend you check the Columbus market. Any C-class neighborhoods are more geared towards Section 8 and long term renters. Let me know how I can help!

  • Chino, CA · Member since 2024 · 10 posts · 24 votes
    2y

    Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  I've read so many horror stories on this forum about terrible PMs.  With so many investors on this forum, are there any good PM companies that anyone can vouch for in Cleveland?  

  • Realtor · Columbus Ohio, Cleveland Ohio · Member since 2022 · 849 posts · 830 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nicholas Nakamura:

    Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  I've read so many horror stories on this forum about terrible PMs.  With so many investors on this forum, are there any good PM companies that anyone can vouch for in Cleveland?  


     Yeah, I can introduce you to a couple. Check your DM.

  • Chino, CA · Member since 2024 · 10 posts · 24 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nicholas L.:

    @Nicholas Nakamura

    in order to be successful, you will need to build a network on the ground in Ohio with people you know and trust. buying a random property on the MLS in unknown condition based on other people looking at it, and putting it under management with people you have never met, will not work, and you will lose money.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/963/topics/1195280-expe...

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/48/topics/1137397-balti...

    so - what's your plan?  how will you do things differently than those folks did?


     Those are the stories that worry me.  My plan is to build a trustworthy network on the ground, but looking for referrals from experienced investors.  Been trying to research and connect with trustworthy investors, but I feel as if everyone who contacts or post are out for themselves and really don't want to help others trying to get their foot in the door.  I really want to find a reliable and reputable PM to work with during this process.  Where do you suggest I start? 

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y

    @Nicholas Nakamura 

    can you make a trip out there in person?  or several trips?  go to some meetups, meet some PMs and agents in person, look at some properties.  go 2 or 4 or 6 times.  pack your trips with showings and meetings.

    if it's not worth it to you to spend some time and money doing that... then don't spend tens of thousands of dollars on a property.

  • Member since 2022 · 8 posts · 5 votes
    2y

    I have over 100 lots to build . utilities in place 800 people on waiting list for section we need houses.i am also a sec 8 landlord 

  • Attorney · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 193 posts · 145 votes
    2y

    Section 8 is has the benefit of guaranteed payments by the government. It is a great strategy to start out with.

  • Investor · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Nicholas, if you're look at the Ohio market you should definitely be giving Detroit a look as well.

    I live in CA and invest in Detroit. The city has been doing extremely well and it hasn't quite gone mainstream with most investors yet.

    Happy to share some resources and learnings on the market there if you'd like.

  • Steven TaylorPro Member
    Investor · Lorain, OH · Member since 2016 · 78 posts · 47 votes
    2y

    Lorain ohio 

    Section 8 properties anyone got questions please reach out to me. We have 500 plus properties on section 8 in Lorain and elyria

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.