Newbie looking for help

11 Replies

I'm a newbie in illinois looking to purchase my first property. Im looking for some advice. should I consider a preforeclosure or try to purchase through a auction. I would appreciate any help from the community forum. Thank you in advice.

Welcome to the BP family. You should try and acquire from any source that offers the best property for the least amount of money. There are many sources, HUD, Auctions, Hubzu and check out Zillow and Trulia and then explore the possibilities. Inspect the properties, get your financiel house in order. Determine how much less you want to offer below the advertised price and you are on your way. Check out some of the pod casts from the learn section as well as review some of the articles and get up the learning curve. Good luck and welcome aboard.

John Moore, John Moore Homes | 570 620‑8080 | http://www.johnmoorehomesllc.com

Welcome to bp angela.

my suggestion to you would be to go where the best deal is. Do not define where it is you should buy your 1st property beforehand. My strategy is always to buy the best deal available at that time wherever it may be.

Medium holton wise property group logo jpegJames Wise, The Holton Wise Property Group | [email protected] | 216‑661‑6633 | http://www.HoltonWisePropertyGroup.com | OH Agent # 2015001161 | Podcast Guest on Show #127

@Angela Smith

Welcome. Fill in the foundation below.

Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having 60 past ones to catch up on.

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers.

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses,The Book on Estimating ReHab Costshttp://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

Good Luck

Paul

Thank you Paul. The advice I received is a great for me to start my search.

Hi Angela, I would say that the best thing to do first before even looking at property is decide WHY you are buying. I help many first time buyers plan their next move but its key to know why you are making the move.

Is this for long term or short term

do you want a project (if so how big) or turnkey plug an play property

do you want the unit as a back up if ever you need to live there

are you more concerned about rental yield, capital appreciation or both

I would say answer the above questions and then decide whether your current search method is going to tick all of the boxes.

Buying your first property can be scary but also can be the best, and most addictive, thing you ever do.

Good luck and your welcome to DM me any questions if you need help

@Angela Smith - Is this strictly an investment or are you planning to live in the unit? How much capital do you have....or are you trying to use credit? Lot's of Chicago BP'ers here so welcome aboard!

Hi Angela! Welcome my fellow ChiTowner! There is ALOT of good information on BP and its great to start with the advice that Paul Timmons gave. I just bought my first property and I used owner financing (only 5k down and $375/mo for 24mos). Got a pretty good deal with it being a 3 unit/possibly 4. Anyway, I had been doing Birddog work for about a year and a half and this allowed me to find my own deal! When I saw this deal come through my email, I said, "Oh Hell No!(excuse my French), I have to keep this one for myself!" And I hopped right on it.

Im still wholesaling, of course, it's only my first property. But this is just the beginning.

Check out the other Chicago BPers such as Wendell De Guzman and Brianna S. They usually write some very helpful posts.

Feel free to DM me as well.

Happy Investing,

ShaRa

Welcome to BP fellow Chicagoan follow @Mark C. advice. You need to know your threshold also. How much work you are willing to put in the place and what kind of work.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you