Is Self Managing an OOS LTR reasonable for a new investor

Is Self Managing an OOS LTR reasonable for a new investor

LaShon EvansPro Member
Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 4 votes

Looking to get started this spring with the purchase of my first SFH for a LTR situation. My initial plan had been to do something like Rent-to-Retirement or REI Nation- assuming that I'd be leaving money on the table to pay for their expertise, but hoping that I would learn through the process and develop the confidence to strike out on my own later. The other factor that's relevant for me is that my husband is a high end W-2 wage earner and we could greatly benefit from the potential tax benefits of actively managing the property. While I don't want to get myself into a negative cash flow situation- appreciation is the bigger deal for us. We're starting late and looking to shorten the retirement on-ramp.

I've been seeing stuff about great apps and tech that make things easier and almost seem doable.  Would you consider trying to self manage rentals in my situation? Btw I live in rural Alaska.  Investing locally isn't an option.  Travel will be part of what I do with this.  Looking for a market that's only 2 flights from Anchorage.  My kids and extended family are in the lower 48 so I don't mind excuses to get down there- and the sun too! 

If you have worked with a company that handled everything for you- vs making your own deal/team/etc, I'd love to hear your thoughts.  

Thanks for your help and input!

Best wishes

0Reply
82 views

Most Popular Reply

Drew SygitBusiness Member
Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
1y

@LaShon Evans DIY managment is easy - until it isn't!

A PMC is like insurance - how long would you choose for your family to live without medical insurance?

Learning to manage locally is trial by fire. 

Trying to learn remotely is a recipe for disaster.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    1y

    If you are brand new, I wouldn't self manage from OoS. There are too many pitfalls.

    It sounds like the reason you wanted to do this was to achieve Real Estate Professional Status. To achieve REPS status you need to be actively involved in your rentals.  "Active" doesn't necessarily mean you are self-managing.  Talk to a competent CPA.

    BTW, the real value is not derived from saving a management fee.  The real value is on the buy side.  If you buy turnkey rentals, you will make money slowly.  If you buy junkers and fix them up, you can make much larger returns.  The harder part is managing a rehab from afar.

  • Property Manager · Northern Virginia & DC · Member since 2020 · 157 posts · 69 votes
    1y

    To touch on self managing vs professional management. A bad manager costs you and you should self manage but the value a great property manager brings will far out weigh the cost - interview a lot of them. Unless you prefer an active job and happy to gain the savings in return - nothing wrong with this. 

    A great property manager will essentially work as a project manager and asset manager for you. PMs should have the widest network of contractors, knowing the good from the bad, better pricing, insights into rental rates/ condition of rentals to not over develop your unit. Amenities tenants prefer and bring higher value and the list goes on... They can identify potential investment opportunities... not to mention all the tenant/landlord laws, eviction process, security deposits, accounting, end of year tax statements etc. lots of pitfalls to be avoided.

    wish you success in your ventures!

  • LaShon EvansPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    1y

    @Greg Scott Thanks!  All of your points make perfect sense.  Rehabbing is a bit intimidating to me for now.  Any tips for managing a rehab from distance?  I'll get with a CPA next week to understand REPS status better.  Appreciate your help.

  • Real Estate Agent · Lakeland, TN · Member since 2015 · 214 posts · 105 votes
    1y

    @LaShon Evans hello and great question. I have seen all sides of this equation, self managing my own properties locally, but moved with the Navy 1000 miles away and managed the same rentals from afar, and had friends here in Memphis that had 18 properties and had them all with PMs with varying levels of success, some bad and some great.

    Self-managing brings about an additional level of responsibility that most of the time is fine, but that is not what you hire a PM for. You hire a PM to deal with the home when it is inconvenient and a hassle. Today, for example, I had to leave work to run a toilet to my plumber because when he took off the old one, someone had done a hack job on the remodel plumbing and damaged the flange and we actually needed a smaller toilet than was on it (10" instead of a 12"). As I was driving and not doing my daily job, it gave me some time to reflect on how much time I could get back for a seemingly small amount each month. I value my time more than $50/hour and just this week I have spent 3 hours running toilets around which is what my PM fee would have been. 
    What else I learned was even if you have friends in the area, or even family, while they say no problem, as we get older we all value our time and it doesn't always feel right asking them to do stuff without compensation or with, but it is always tricky to work that relationship when they don't meet your expectations. 

    Transitions are also complicated and the screening and rental process can be burdensome. Sometimes you will have that next person/family lined up and ready to go, but sometimes it takes much longer and you need do renovations or at least some repairs. Every time that happens someone needs to be there unless you have a system in place to manage access from afar. Those systems also need maintenance from time to time. Even though we paid our friend to show our houses we always felt like we were putting her out of it was lots of showings and we're often resentful if it was a one and done. We had an agreement and stuck to it, but there were often some rifts that didn't feel good. 

    Are PMs perfect? Nope. Do they have systems in place that will make your life 99% easier? Yes, at least the good ones do. Will it cost more? Yes! But if you are an OOS rental simply for the cash flow, you will likely be disappointed. The real power of single family residential comes with stable, consistent markets that chug along, have good rental base/demand and growth potential. 

    There are lots of markets that meet this criteria and you will find PM companies of all sizes in those markets. 

    Something to consider maybe using one of these companies to help find a house, refine your process by example of what they are doing, then taking over management for a year and seeing how it goes. Try a resident turnover, if it doesn’t go so well then you can go back to the PM. Make sure you get into a property than can support both options. If you don't feel confident that you can find that on your own, reach out. If you have any additional questions about this I am available for any and all of them! I hope this was helpful.

  • Todd AndersonPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2023 · 392 posts · 175 votes
    1y

    @LaShon Evans,

    I would agree with others for the first time I'm not sure long distance management is a good idea.  It can work if you have experience and a local team to help.  

    I know that we have connected DM me so that we can talk about how we have solved this for most of our investors.  one of the incentives we can offer is free property management.

    let me know if i can help answer any questions.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1y

    @LaShon Evans DIY managment is easy - until it isn't!

    A PMC is like insurance - how long would you choose for your family to live without medical insurance?

    Learning to manage locally is trial by fire. 

    Trying to learn remotely is a recipe for disaster.

  • Memphis, TN · Member since 2024 · 180 posts · 223 votes
    1y

    Hey @LaShon Evans!

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. 

    I would 100% recommend that in whatever market you choose to invest in , that you form a relationship with a good property manager, as that can make-or-break how well your LTR goes. 

    If you're still shopping markets, I'm happy to set up a call to discuss how Memphis could be a good fit for you depending on what strategy you're looking to implement. I only work with out of state investors like yourself to find great deals in this market and I have some great property management teams to refer to you.

    Best of luck!

  • LaShon EvansPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    1y

    @Dominic M. thank you for weighing in!  The moment of insanity has passed.  I appreciate your response!

  • LaShon EvansPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    1y

    @Jared Smith thanks for sharing that personal example! 100% agree

    @Todd Anderson, @Drew Sygit you talked me off the cliff. Thanks!

  • Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2013 · 741 posts · 845 votes
    1y

    Hey @LaShon Evans please, please, please do NOT try to self manage from a distance. I have seen so many investors straight fail at this attempt. Think through why you even want to invest in real estate in the first place. I am sure you want the financial freedom and flexibility real estate provides. I don't think you want o build yourself a full time job? 

    Real estate works with scale! You maybe be able to manage a house or two from a distance but a house or two will not get you what I think you're looking for! The greatest advice I got from my mentor when I was starting out was to think like I owned a 100 unit portfolio. That really helped me think about scale and build a portfolio that just pays me money every month with little to no effort. 

    Happy Investing!

  • LaShon EvansPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    1y

    @Stephen Akindona you’re 100% right.  No worries- the momentary madness has passed.  I like that advice from your mentor.  Thanks for sharing.  

  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jared Smith:

    @LaShon Evans hello and great question. I have seen all sides of this equation, self managing my own properties locally, but moved with the Navy 1000 miles away and managed the same rentals from afar, and had friends here in Memphis that had 18 properties and had them all with PMs with varying levels of success, some bad and some great.

    Self-managing brings about an additional level of responsibility that most of the time is fine, but that is not what you hire a PM for. You hire a PM to deal with the home when it is inconvenient and a hassle. Today, for example, I had to leave work to run a toilet to my plumber because when he took off the old one, someone had done a hack job on the remodel plumbing and damaged the flange and we actually needed a smaller toilet than was on it (10" instead of a 12"). As I was driving and not doing my daily job, it gave me some time to reflect on how much time I could get back for a seemingly small amount each month. I value my time more than $50/hour and just this week I have spent 3 hours running toilets around which is what my PM fee would have been. 
    What else I learned was even if you have friends in the area, or even family, while they say no problem, as we get older we all value our time and it doesn't always feel right asking them to do stuff without compensation or with, but it is always tricky to work that relationship when they don't meet your expectations. 

    Transitions are also complicated and the screening and rental process can be burdensome. Sometimes you will have that next person/family lined up and ready to go, but sometimes it takes much longer and you need do renovations or at least some repairs. Every time that happens someone needs to be there unless you have a system in place to manage access from afar. Those systems also need maintenance from time to time. Even though we paid our friend to show our houses we always felt like we were putting her out of it was lots of showings and we're often resentful if it was a one and done. We had an agreement and stuck to it, but there were often some rifts that didn't feel good. 

    Are PMs perfect? Nope. Do they have systems in place that will make your life 99% easier? Yes, at least the good ones do. Will it cost more? Yes! But if you are an OOS rental simply for the cash flow, you will likely be disappointed. The real power of single family residential comes with stable, consistent markets that chug along, have good rental base/demand and growth potential. 

    There are lots of markets that meet this criteria and you will find PM companies of all sizes in those markets. 

    Something to consider maybe using one of these companies to help find a house, refine your process by example of what they are doing, then taking over management for a year and seeing how it goes. Try a resident turnover, if it doesn’t go so well then you can go back to the PM. Make sure you get into a property than can support both options. If you don't feel confident that you can find that on your own, reach out. If you have any additional questions about this I am available for any and all of them! I hope this was helpful.

    Jared ,

    Jumping in here just to say that your response here was so informative, and incredibly useful. I'm newbie myself to REI , I own my my own home but I'm now very interested in buying an out of state long term rental. NJ , where I am is extremely expensive. The Question posed here , is something I thought to myself quite a bit, and you really nailed the answer. It makes a lot of sense. So thanks for contributing because you have helped more people than you know!

     my next step is to find the best and most affordable market for my investment! 


  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @LaShon Evans:

    Looking to get started this spring with the purchase of my first SFH for a LTR situation. My initial plan had been to do something like Rent-to-Retirement or REI Nation- assuming that I'd be leaving money on the table to pay for their expertise, but hoping that I would learn through the process and develop the confidence to strike out on my own later. The other factor that's relevant for me is that my husband is a high end W-2 wage earner and we could greatly benefit from the potential tax benefits of actively managing the property. While I don't want to get myself into a negative cash flow situation- appreciation is the bigger deal for us. We're starting late and looking to shorten the retirement on-ramp.

    I've been seeing stuff about great apps and tech that make things easier and almost seem doable.  Would you consider trying to self manage rentals in my situation? Btw I live in rural Alaska.  Investing locally isn't an option.  Travel will be part of what I do with this.  Looking for a market that's only 2 flights from Anchorage.  My kids and extended family are in the lower 48 so I don't mind excuses to get down there- and the sun too! 

    If you have worked with a company that handled everything for you- vs making your own deal/team/etc, I'd love to hear your thoughts.  

    Thanks for your help and input!

    Best wishes


     If you've got to ask the question, then no you should not be self managing.

  • Denise SuppleeBusiness Member
    Realtor · Willow Grove, PA · Member since 2017 · 984 posts · 643 votes
    1y

    Managing rentals when you are nearby can be challenging but out of state is pretty tought. If you can hire really good contractors to assist and a good manager/realtor-may be a possibility. But then you are managing them. Have you ever thought about investing in larger apartment communities with others? We do that and other investments in our investment club. It is a great way to diversify. We do a deal a month and each member only needs $5K (or more, if they want) to participate. 

    Spark Rental Co-Investing Club580 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.