Looking for advice on planning for an investing future

1 Reply

Hello,

(I apologize if this is in the wrong part of BiggerPockets)

I am 16 years old and I am an honors high school student with a 3.9 GPA. I plan to go to a university and major in Business. I am not sure if I will get my Master's or just a Bachelor's but I will probably go for a Master's degree. After college, I would like to begin real estate investing. In order to focus on my studies, I don't keep a job over the school year, but I do work during the summers. So far I have saved up just a little over $20,000 and most of that is invested in a mutual fund. I am looking for advice on what I can do while I am younger to make myself better prepared for investing in the future, because the last thing that I want to do is graduate college and find myself utterly unprepared for anything (granted, I will be unprepared for many things, but the goal here is to be prepared for as much as possible.)

I don't spend much, for the most part I put gas in my parents' Prius every now and then and I buy the occasional movie ticket or candy bar - but I save most of my paycheck.

So, my biggest question is, what can I do to set myself up for success?

Thank you,

James

Hi James,

If you go for a job go for the Masters. Everyone has the bachelors degree. Over your career having a Master degree or PH.D as far as a job is concerned will bring in a higher salary and generally more of a chance for advancement.

You need to decide if the business career is right for you. I learned with companies that if you want to advance most companies own you. You will need to relocate, work the hours they want, etc. to move up the ladder. Your family, friends will suffer the consequences of the path of destruction decades down the road. Some can balance it all but its a rare occurrence. This is why I own my business because I live the life I want on my own terms versus a corp using me and throwing me away like trash when I have outgrown my useful life to them.

Start reading all you can as time is on your side at that young of an age. Start making small investments that snowball but are still safe while learning. You aren't going to get wealthy with low return investments that are lucky to break even with annual inflation.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.