First property, should this terrify me?

First property, should this terrify me?

Homeowner · Pfafftown, NC · Member since 2011 · 24 posts · 4 votes

So, I've been gathering info for a while, getting funds ready and have been searching for a great deal. I've noticed a foreclosure within a mile of the local university, listed by Freddie Mac at nearly 1/2 of the tax assessed value and what I've placed as the market value. I haven't viewed the property, but I always think to myself "Why has this property been on the market since November?" when it seems too good to be true. Here's the description;

"Just freshened with new interior paint. Laminate and wood floors. Basement wall has been reinforced. Great buy! Special HomeSteps Financing available. Pre-qual required. Sold as-is. $500 warranty allowance. Agents: See attachments. See Agent Only for selling bonus info."

Pretty standard stuff, except for the bolded part. That TERRIFIES me. Am I right to be terrified? Obviously, further due diligence would help figure out what's going on, but I'm just curious as to the more experienced members' thoughts.

Thanks.

0Reply
17 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · North Wales, PA · Member since 2013 · 116 posts · 44 votes
    12y

    I can't see which part is bolded, but I can tell you that the tax assessed value has no bearing on the value of the property. Please compare to recent comparable sales in the area.

  • Homeowner · Pfafftown, NC · Member since 2011 · 24 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    I put it in italics and it's showing up. The part about the basement having been reinforced. That terrifies me. Also, yes, I understand about the tax assessed value not being reliable, but it's fairly reliable around here because our county just did a full reassessment and the market values have been fairly closely aligned with assessed values.

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2013 · 465 posts · 170 votes
    12y

    If you have not looked at the property, why would it terrify you? Its something to note and make sure when you have your property inspector come through make sure he checks everything throughly.

  • Homeowner · Pfafftown, NC · Member since 2011 · 24 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    I guess what I'm trying to guage is why should it not terrify me? Why would basement walls need to be reinforced? Does this normally solve the problem or is it a bandaid on a gunshot wound?

    Saying the basement wall has been reinforced leads me to believe that the basement wall needed to be reinforced and then my mind starts going all over the place about foundation issues, improperly sealed exterior basement wall, etc. etc. I'm not truly terrified, it just jumped out at me.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.