Software for Mac

10 Replies

I know the question of software has come up many times, but I can't seem to find any solid information or options for us Mac users out there. I have done some research on iBank 5, which seems to be the best option at this point, but I dont know how will it will work for property management specifically.
I do not do management for others, but I would like nice software for my own personal record keeping. Something to track expenses, rent payments, net profits per property, etc.
Anyone have anything?

you are better off going for some sort of web based service. not many options for mac.

Agreed. Don't "lock down" your software on a specific machine or platform; run it on the web, and open up options to tie in to other apps and processes (online application & payments, for example).

Well on that note, what web based options are available?
And will they still give me the wide range of functions that something like Quicken PM would give?

Hi Anthony, One other option, if you are running a newer Mac, is to load Windows on your Mac, then you can run windows based applications right on your Mac. Since the newer Macs are using Intel processors it doesn't bog down the way older emulation software used to.

Originally posted by @Bob E. :
Hi Anthony, One other option, if you are running a newer Mac, is to load Windows on your Mac, then you can run windows based applications right on your Mac. Since the newer Macs are using Intel processors it doesn't bog down the way older emulation software used to.

If you go this route, run Windoze in a virtual machine (Parallels or VMWare) where it is contained ;-)

By BP terms of use I can't comment on specific products I favor (though you can read my profile if you're interested in what I'm doing).

Quicken of course is very financially heavy, but lacks on provisions for the processes & operations of your business. PM-specific apps -- and there are many -- include financials but also create a structure for applications, leasing, repairs, form letters, building information and online payments; things that make the day-to-day management easier. Some of them are quite affordable, or even free.

There are lots of tools that could keep track of the expenses, financial statements and also manage the same. Some of them are expensify, Replicon, mint and many more. Go with the one which has easy compatibility with the android and iOS devices.

My concern with cloud based apps is longevity. What do you do when all of your business functionality is cloud based, and the company shuts down? If you have traditional software, you keep running. Maybe phase over to something new. Maybe even find a way to export some of your data.

I would like to see some standard for cloud based software. Maybe some kind of bond that would provide short term continuation, and development of export functionality if a company goes belly up, or just decides to shut down or whatever. Something that would protect users a bit more than they currently are protected.

BTW while looking for a new external drive I noticed an interesting external drive that I want to investigate. It is a personal cloud drive. I'm guessing it is accessible by some form of VPN. The package said there are apps for mobile device access. Not sure if it allows apps or just data to be accessed. But you can also run something like LogMeIn or similar services to get easy remote access.

Standards are slowly evolving in the form of often-used storage & data-transfer formats, but don't hold your breath; even electronic medical records still use many different standards.

Having said that, any good software-as-a-service should have a way to "get your data out," usually via CSV export, etc. It won't come with the same structure that the app offers, but then that's what you're paying for.

Personal NAS's have been around for a bit, and yes they are getting easier to access remotely. I put all of my data on one of these (Buffalo Linkstation, though there are more user-friendly options out there). Make sure it has a RAID!

@Walt Payne

Hi Walt,

If you google "best personal cloud drives" there is an article on pcmag.com that goes through a few options.

and at work a few weeks ago I had an auditor talking about the "WD My Cloud" and about how much he LOVED it (15 minute conversation). That is probably the route I'll be taking at some point.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.