Beginner-Friendly Strategies to Build Cash Flow Before My First Property

Beginner-Friendly Strategies to Build Cash Flow Before My First Property

New to Real Estate · Member since 2025 · 75 posts · 42 votes

Hey everyone,

I’m just getting started in real estate and trying to figure out the best way to build stable cash flow right now so I can save up and invest in my first property—most likely a multifamily unit. The challenge is I don’t have any capital upfront, so I need beginner-friendly ways to start generating income.

Some options I’ve been considering:

  • 1. Airbnb Arbitrage

  • 2. House Hacking

  • 3. Acquiring or starting a Laundromat business 

I’d love to hear from anyone who started with little or no capital and successfully transitioned into owning multifamily properties. Which beginner-friendly approach would you recommend for building cash flow?

Or if anyone has any other strategies besides those three, I’d love to hear them as well.

Thanks in advance for any advice, tips, or lessons learned!

1Reply
128 views

Most Popular Reply

MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11mo

It took working two jobs and living below my means to save up enough for a down payment on my first owner occupied house in need of renovation. 

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11mo

    It took working two jobs and living below my means to save up enough for a down payment on my first owner occupied house in need of renovation. 

    • New to Real Estate · Member since 2025 · 75 posts · 42 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Jules Aton:

      It took working two jobs and living below my means to save up enough for a down payment on my first owner occupied house in need of renovation. 

      Thanks for sharing! That’s inspiring — it really shows the value of hard work, discipline, and living below your means. I’m taking notes on that approach as I plan for my first investment.
  • Specialist · Member since 2025 · 483 posts · 270 votes
    11mo

    With no capital, pick the path that builds skill, credibility, and steady cash fast: house hack a small multi if you can qualify, then stack cash and experience into your next duplex; Airbnb arbitrage can work but adds lease and vacancy risk if demand shifts; laundromats can cash flow but are a full-on small business. My recommendation: focus on house hacking plus a simple BRRR-style value add on renewal or turnover, keep expenses tight, and start raising private money by sharing your story and numbers. Next move: define one target submarket and a buy box, then run five real listings through a basic cash flow calc to see what actually pencils.

    • New to Real Estate · Member since 2025 · 75 posts · 42 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Elealeh Fulmaran:

      With no capital, pick the path that builds skill, credibility, and steady cash fast: house hack a small multi if you can qualify, then stack cash and experience into your next duplex; Airbnb arbitrage can work but adds lease and vacancy risk if demand shifts; laundromats can cash flow but are a full-on small business. My recommendation: focus on house hacking plus a simple BRRR-style value add on renewal or turnover, keep expenses tight, and start raising private money by sharing your story and numbers. Next move: define one target submarket and a buy box, then run five real listings through a basic cash flow calc to see what actually pencils.

      This guidance makes a lot of sense and gives me a clear path forward. I like the focus on building skill, credibility, and cash flow through house hacking and a BRRR-style strategy. I plan to define a target submarket and buy box, then analyze a few listings to see how they pencil out. I appreciate the practical, step-by-step approach.

  • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
    Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11mo

    I would recommend increasing your income if you have a w-2 job. See what additional responsibility you can take.

    then, read set for life to understand and lock down personal finance.

    then focus on house hacking. How much would it take to afford a 2-4 unit in your market?

    • New to Real Estate · Member since 2025 · 75 posts · 42 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Aaron Zimmerman:

      I would recommend increasing your income if you have a w-2 job. See what additional responsibility you can take.

      then, read set for life to understand and lock down personal finance.

      then focus on house hacking. How much would it take to afford a 2-4 unit in your market?

      Thanks for the recommendations! I appreciate the clear roadmap — increasing income, strengthening personal finance with Set for Life, and then exploring house hacking. I’ll start by looking at what it would take to afford a 2-4 unit in my target market.

  • Member since 2019 · 41 posts · 22 votes
    11mo

    I've looked into laundromats in the past. Starting new can run you in excess of $500,000.  Buying used comes with a number of considerations - equipment age, lease terms, traffic into the laundromat, wash and fold, there's a long list.

    There's some good advice from others.  The only thing I would add is stay within your means out of the gate. It's tempting to look bigger faster, but buying something a little smaller can really help learn the ropes with less pain.

    • New to Real Estate · Member since 2025 · 75 posts · 42 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Mike Whitman:

      I've looked into laundromats in the past. Starting new can run you in excess of $500,000.  Buying used comes with a number of considerations - equipment age, lease terms, traffic into the laundromat, wash and fold, there's a long list.

      There's some good advice from others.  The only thing I would add is stay within your means out of the gate. It's tempting to look bigger faster, but buying something a little smaller can really help learn the ropes with less pain.

      Thanks for sharing your insights! I appreciate the breakdown of costs and considerations for laundromats — equipment, leases, and traffic are definitely key factors. Staying within my means and starting smaller makes a lot of sense as a way to learn the ropes without taking on too much risk.
  • Specialist · Huntingdon, PA · Member since 2018 · 162 posts · 147 votes
    11mo

    Hi Levonte, welcome to the wonderful world of real estate. :-) 

    I would agree with my fellow repliers. You've listed two strategies for starting a new business (arbitrage, laundromat) and one strategy for acquiring your first asset (house hacking).

    While they can all generate income, be careful not to accidentally buy yourself a 100-hour/week job (I'm only exaggerating a little) when your stated goal is to invest in multifamily. House hacking is the only path on your list that directly uses low-capital leverage to acquire the exact type of property you're aiming for.

    The question isn't just about "cash flow." The real question is: Are you trying to build a new business from scratch, or are you trying to become a property owner?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.