Mentors??

2 Replies

Any mentors available in the Seattle or Everett area????

We have a handful of members at REAPS that offer mentoring and coaching services. You should come to a meeting as my guest and I can introduce you.

Medium reaps logo mediumKatherine Swanberg, Real Estate Association of Puget Sound | [email protected] | 425‑458‑4797 | http://www.REAPSweb.com

Are you looking for a mentor or coach? I just wrote this in another thread:

- A mentor doesn't charge money -- s/he does it because s/he has a personal investment in the success of the other person. This personal investment could come through a friendship ("I like you and want you to succeed"), through a common business enterprise ("We work for the same company and I want this company to succeed") or even something less tangible ("You remind me of my son and it makes me feel good to help you").

- A coach charges money -- this isn't to say that the coach doesn't have some vested interest in seeing you succeed (regardless of the continued payments), but it likely means that the coach makes some/all of his living doing this and can't afford to just give away his time.

- There is absolutely nothing wrong with either model, assuming you get at least as much as you pay for (if you pay more than the value you get, then there's an issue). With a mentor, you will save money and you often have someone who is more vested in seeing you succeed (there is a personal element); but with a coach, you have someone who is legally and ethically committed to helping you succeed, which can often be more effective than a personal relationship. A mentor is unlikely to be training your competition, but a coach is unlikely to bail on you if he gets busy. There's trade-offs for both, and again, the key is that you're getting at least as much as you're paying for.

- I'm a big believer that you should get as far as you can without either a coach or a mentor. Learn the basics at your own pace, and then when you feel you've hit a roadblock, find someone to help you past it. You may find that that you can get pretty far on your own or with just a few little nudges over the small roadblocks. Then, when you hit a wall (or start trudging through the mud), you can find a coach or a mentor to help you make some bigger adjustments. You'll find that a mentor is going to get annoyed if they have to teach you the basics, and you'll find that a coach is likely to inundate you with details that you're not ready for if you go to them prior to understanding the basics.

- You'll find that as you get more involved in the real estate community (BP, local REIAs, etc), that you'll meet plenty of people who could end up being a great mentor or coach. Let the relationship evolve naturally...don't go mentor-hunting or start interviewing everyone who says they coach. You'll find that personality matters and you'll want to work with someone you get along with, not necessarily the guy with the best sales pitch. In fact, a mentor may not be worth the cost (free) if you don't get along and have complimentary personalities.

- BiggerPockets is a great virtual mentor. At very least, a great place to learn the basics before you start looking for a real mentor or coach. Spend a couple months reading and learning; you may find that your interest changes between now and when you learn the basics, in which case you didn't waste money on a coach or the time of a mentor.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you