BRRR vs Fix & Flip: The Question Rookies Ask That Usually Misses the Point

BRRR vs Fix & Flip: The Question Rookies Ask That Usually Misses the Point

Lender · Marlboro, NJ · Member since 2025 · 243 posts · 150 votes

I see a lot of new investors debating BRRR vs fix & flip, and I think the framing itself is usually the problem.

In practice, the bigger decision isn’t the strategy. It’s where you want your risk to live.

A flip concentrates risk into a short window. Execution, budget control, and resale timing all have to be right, or the deal breaks fast.

BRRR spreads risk over time. You still have rehab risk, but you have a long-term backstop if the refi or market doesn't line up exactly as planned.

What I see trip people up most:

  • Heavy rehabs on a first deal
  • Optimistic ARVs or rent assumptions
  • Treating BRRR like a flip when they don't actually want to hold

In today’s market, I’ve seen first deals go smoother when investors start with light value-add, realistic assumptions, and a clear exit plan they’re actually comfortable executing.

Curious how others here think about this.
For those who’ve done both, where do you think rookie risk really shows up?

2Reply
105 views

Most Popular Reply

New to Real Estate · Miami, FL · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 464 votes
8mo

Pierre, you nailed it. the debate should start with risk tolerance and execution capacity, not just the label on the strategy. I've seen rookies get in trouble when they chase BRRR for long-term wealth but run it like a flip without the right capital structure or exit flexibility. That mismatch creates pressure in all the wrong places.

The risk shows up most when investors underestimate the impact of holding costs, refi hiccups, or delayed lease-ups. A light value-add with clean numbers and breathing room usually teaches better lessons than swinging for the fences out of the gate.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New to Real Estate · Miami, FL · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 464 votes
    8mo

    Pierre, you nailed it. the debate should start with risk tolerance and execution capacity, not just the label on the strategy. I've seen rookies get in trouble when they chase BRRR for long-term wealth but run it like a flip without the right capital structure or exit flexibility. That mismatch creates pressure in all the wrong places.

    The risk shows up most when investors underestimate the impact of holding costs, refi hiccups, or delayed lease-ups. A light value-add with clean numbers and breathing room usually teaches better lessons than swinging for the fences out of the gate.

    • Lender · Marlboro, NJ · Member since 2025 · 243 posts · 150 votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Drago Stanimirovic:

      Pierre, you nailed it. the debate should start with risk tolerance and execution capacity, not just the label on the strategy. I've seen rookies get in trouble when they chase BRRR for long-term wealth but run it like a flip without the right capital structure or exit flexibility. That mismatch creates pressure in all the wrong places.

      The risk shows up most when investors underestimate the impact of holding costs, refi hiccups, or delayed lease-ups. A light value-add with clean numbers and breathing room usually teaches better lessons than swinging for the fences out of the gate.


      Completely agree Drago! Light value-add is where I see the best risk-adjusted learning curve, especially on early deals. You get real execution reps without one assumption breaking the entire model.  

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8mo

    @Pierre Guirguis

    Hi Pierre,

    Definitely agree. The first is determining what your investors strategy is going to be. Are you a buy n hold investor (BRRRR) or a flipper. The rehabs are similar but the approach is different.

    When I started BRRRR'g projects I tended to do them as if it would be a flip. That means, I will spend more money on the rehab than maybe some others who do less because it's a rental property. On the BRRRR method, trying to do value add is as important as collecting the rent. If I put in $20K I'm hoping to get $30K-40K in return as well as buying at a discount. I'm not saying I won't have money stuck in, but I try to minimize and try to recoup money stuck in within 18-24 months, hopefully less. The beauty with BRRRR's is the appreciation and cash flow. Keep it long term and you'll make generational wealth over time. It's the long game. Better rehabs means higher rents and better tenants in my experience.

    Flipping is about speed. The faster you finish the rehab, the more profit you can make. It can be unforgiving on challenges in the rehab or sell side. Rehabs are generally not less than your budget they tend to go over, which means more time and money. It’s quick money. I’ve done 30 day flips and 6-8 month flips. It’s great quick money if done correctly. If done incorrect you may not make much or any money. If the project takes 90 days to get under contract and you projected 30 days that a big difference in carrying cost. Time of year is important finishing in November not the next tune of year to sell. Selling in spring and early summer is the best time and brings in general the higher sales price.

    You have to be realistic on your expectations. For a first time flipper I would partner with an experienced flipper or have a flipping mentor.

    Be strategic in your strategy. Some properties the best return is a rental while others flipping is the better solution.

  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    8mo

    This is spot on - I'd add that most rookies also underestimate the follow-up game on deal sourcing itself. You can nail the strategy but if you're not consistently working your pipeline and following up with leads within 24-48 hours, you never get to test either approach. I track this with wholesalers I know - the ones hitting 5+ follow-ups over 2 weeks convert 3x more leads than the "call once and move on" crowd. What's been your biggest pipeline challenge - finding deals or staying consistent with follow-up?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.