NACA Loan Benefits vs. Limited Agent Support/Time-Constraint — What Would You Do?

NACA Loan Benefits vs. Limited Agent Support/Time-Constraint — What Would You Do?

Hudson Valley-NY · Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hi BiggerPockets community,

I'm a first-time homebuyer approved through Neighborhood Assistance Corporation of America (NACA) and currently in the housing search phase (seeking a duplex). The mortgage terms are a great fit for me (no down payment, no closing costs, no PMI, below-average rate), which is why I'd really like to make it work.

The challenge is that my assigned NACA agent hasn't been very supportive. We've never spoken directly — I'm just on an automated MLS email list. I work full-time (W-2) and am also in nursing school, so my time is limited. I know I'll need a proactive, knowledgeable agent to navigate this process successfully.

I've tried finding another agent familiar with NACA (or willing to get certified), but that hasn't been easy.

For those with experience:
• Would you continue pushing to find the right NACA-certified agent because of the loan benefits?
• Would you pivot to a traditional mortgage for more flexibility in choosing an agent?
• Or would you consider waiting to purchase until after finishing school (about 1.5 years from now) to allow more time and focus for the process?

I’m trying to be realistic about timing, support, and long-term strategy. Thank you in advance for your input — any insight is appreciated.

0Reply
64 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Northeast PA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7mo

    Hi William, 

    You have a lot on your plate.  The real estate market will still be here after nursing school, which will certainly lead to a bulletproof profession.  

    I'd suggest you use the little spare time you have to continue studying the market, financing strategies, and make connections with lenders, agents, contractors, and real estate meetups.  You'll gain insight and probably meet the very people you need for the next steps.

    The world awaits.  Meet it on your schedule.

  • Hudson Valley-NY · Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7mo

    Mark, thank you for the thoughtful advice and encouragement! I appreciate your perspective and will definitely keep building my real estate knowledge and network while I’m in school.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.